British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Michael-Roo

Queen Anne VIGO Five Guinea coin

I thought of only fools and horses near the end there when Del and Rodney auctioned the rare clock for 6.3 million and went outside to the 3 wheeler and started screaming ?

A great story though, will watch that one 

Found in a child's toy box.

Makes you wonder what other "gems" are knocking about in unusual places.

*Merged with existing thread* 

Apologies for repeating your topic Michael.  0/10 for observation on my part.

Thanks for merging the topics Matt.

For some reason it merged your thread title with Michael's post :wacko: result is the same though, I guess.

On 10/26/2016 at 2:05 PM, Michael-Roo said:

Wow, what a fantastic story. Lucky guy.

8 hours ago, Nick said:

Found in a child's toy box.

Makes you wonder what other "gems" are knocking about in unusual places.

*Merged with existing thread* 

There must be many, as yet undiscovered, gems from across the ages. 

I believe this particular coin had only 20 minted, 15 were known and two others have been found within the last two years, only three left to find. any more than that turn up, we will know the Chinese found them first

Call me cynical, but I find very hard to believe that somebody would have given a child such a large gold coin to play with, regardless of its numismatic value and historical importance, as it's still a very valuable item. It's not a rare penny variety, it's a very large piece of gold!

That has to be made up by the Daily Mail, who published the story in the first place, or by the auction house looking to draw attention to one of those coins that only pop in once every 5 years.

10 minutes ago, Leo said:

Call me cynical, but I find very hard to believe that somebody would have given a child such a large gold coin to play with, regardless of its numismatic value and historical importance, as it's still a very valuable item. It's not a rare penny variety, it's a very large piece of gold!

That has to be made up by the Daily Mail, who published the story in the first place, or by the auction house looking to draw attention to one of those coins that only pop in once every 5 years.

Surely this would be madness on the part of the saleroom, not to mention illegal as it would amount to deliberate misrepresentation of a lot they were selling. A VIGO 5 guineas would sell irrespective of the source (unless it was nicked).

The Mail is a different story however as they can only push sales by publishing hyperbole. Accuracy of report has never been their (or other tabloids') strong point.

Edited by Rob

I doubt anyone would print such a story without grounds. As Rob said, it would be madness to do so, especially an auction house where there bread and butter is selling to the public, either in their auction house or online. Perhaps the story could be a little exaggerated but i doubt the coin would be fake, especially at this level of price, any buyer of this coin is going to make sure its the real deal, especially at the price level quoted and the obvious world hype that's going to come with the story and coin

2 hours ago, Leo said:

Quite possibly. The Mail are not renowned for the veracity of their stories, and some are almost pure fiction. Nevertheless, as long as the coin is genuine, then the minutiae of events leading up to its recent discovery as such, are irrelevant anyway.  

• Like 1

Sure I don't doubt the coin is genuine, it's the whole story of the child playing pirates with it not knowing it was worth a fortune, nor his Grandpa who gave it to him...

This Vigo is going through the sale room in about 40 mins, lot 116 if anyone is interested in watching it

Would've been good but have a meeting in half hour :( 

Good to use the chat then too

Its on lot 101 now, so you might catch it

£225K hammer

Edited by azda