British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

youliveyoulean

Rarest Silver Proof issued by the Royal Mint?

27 minutes ago, youliveyoulean said:

Sorry for the slow response. Yes, the reverse proof only has a mintage of 500 coins. Why the Royal Mint has decided to offer these to US collectors first via APMEX I'm not sure. As azda mentions, they get dibs on a lot of coins due to their access to the huge US market.

I guess RM are trying to push more demand and market awareness for the Britannia range over there as that's where the money is...

What I'm trying to get at is where you got your figure of 500 from, initially. Presumably from the APMEX site, and also what exactly the Royal Mint said to you.

I can't see any mintages for that piece on the Royal Mint site.

Surely the obvious question to ask the RM is why APMEX are using a figure of 500 for the mintage - or have you asked this already?   

i have seen it on the royal mint certificate somewhere on ebay - the maximum coin mintage is definitely 500.

11 minutes ago, youliveyoulean said:

i have seen it on the royal mint certificate somewhere on ebay - the maximum coin mintage is definitely 500.

Right.

Well to cut right to the chase, I don't think I would be disputing anything with the Royal Mint, based on the figures supplied by one of their (essentially) private sub contractors. Nor would I trust anything I saw on e bay.    

So far I've seen zero evidence that the Royal MInt themselves have given contradictory information about the mintage of this item. Indeed, I can't see any information at all about its mintage on their website.

sorry mike you may have a few wires crossed here - there are 2 threads running - as far as i can see the 500 mintage for the brtiannia is not in dispute.

PS i'd be surprised if any of the 2016 figures for any coins would be released yet.

43 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Right.

Well to cut right to the chase, I don't think I would be disputing anything with the Royal Mint, based on the figures supplied by one of their (essentially) private sub contractors. Nor would I trust anything I saw on e bay.    

So far I've seen zero evidence that the Royal MInt themselves have given contradictory information about the mintage of this item. Indeed, I can't see any information at all about its mintage on their website.

That's because there are 2 of the same year. 1 REV proof and 1 normal proof. The REV proof is the one with the 500 mintage and could also be a private issue as the RM mint coins for other parties or it could be a test strike of another coin coming into production next year. They were released in a 2 coin set, the normal Britannia and the REV proof

It's also good for the balance of payments. HMG doing their bit to reduce the rediculous size of our trade deficit. If people stopped wasting insane amounts of money on imported expensive depreciating liabilities such as cars, it would go a long way to sorting our deficit.

On 10/27/2016 at 5:45 AM, youliveyoulean said:

Thanks Paddy however I do not wish to buy the book. I am currently in dialogue with the Royal Mint concerning their released mintage figures - which I dispute. I'm just posting here to see if anyone is aware of any silver coins with a lower 'maximum coin mintage'.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

3 hours ago, youliveyoulean said:

sorry mike you may have a few wires crossed here - there are 2 threads running - as far as i can see the 500 mintage for the brtiannia is not in dispute.

PS i'd be surprised if any of the 2016 figures for any coins would be released yet.

So, what exactly are you disputing with the Royal Mint? For clarity. Is it all mintage figures, or just some?

Obviously nothing to do with this undisputed mintage of 500 :)

Edited by 1949threepence

There are a lot of silver patterns with mintages in single figures or low double figures

19 minutes ago, Rob said:

There are a lot of silver patterns with mintages in single figures or low double figures

Ah right, understood. Thanks.

Chinese Lunar Rooster £500 2017 edition of 68 is quite low.

Edited by Theo Smyth
Changed £100 for £500

The old chestnut Mintage figures V balance book figures. Royal mint allocates a figure on all proof coins on how many coins will be minted for any given proof and it is usually down to order book size as to how many they will knock off in each run. Like benjamin britten 50 pence piedfort now I know they set aside 5000 should they be needed. But public interest was hardly enthusiastic. 1000 customers bought them and that was it job done and that is the figure entered in the book. Now when you get a news bulletin on the TV about rare coins. One of the first to be mentioned is the Benjamin Britten Piedfort and the bugle boy blow 50p's. They were never rare. Nobody wanted them so only what was ordered were struck. Amazing how something unpopular suddenly becomes a rarity because of fake news. Plus there will be others of that coin type in sets. They are doing it with the Kew 50 pence. You and I know the circulation kew is considered a scarcity as probably all of them have been lifted from circulation. But where is the justification for proof kew's and blister kews and piedfort kews to be the ridiculous prices they are selling at? Not one of them against their fellow coin counterparts are even remotely scarce. Joe public is pretty much dumb and sheeplike. One kew is rare then they all must be lol