British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

youliveyoulean

Rarest Silver Proof issued by the Royal Mint?

Hi,

I noticed recently the 2016 Britannia reverse proof silver £2 has a maximum coin mintage of just 500 and it got me thinking - is this the rarest silver proof coin released by the royal mint?

Thanks

1 hour ago, youliveyoulean said:

Hi,

I noticed recently the 2016 Britannia reverse proof silver £2 has a maximum coin mintage of just 500 and it got me thinking - is this the rarest silver proof coin released by the royal mint?

Thanks

Hi @youliveyoulean and welcome to the forum! 

I do not collect the Silver proof decimal coins myself, so I do not know much about their relative scarcity without referring to books or the Royal Mint website. Chris Perkins book "Collectors Coins - Decimal Issues of the United Kingdom", which is much promoted on the home page, lists mintage figures for most Decimal Silver proof coins, so that would be a good basis for you exploration.

Thanks Paddy however I do not wish to buy the book. I am currently in dialogue with the Royal Mint concerning their released mintage figures - which I dispute. I'm just posting here to see if anyone is aware of any silver coins with a lower 'maximum coin mintage'.

2 hours ago, youliveyoulean said:

Thanks Paddy however I do not wish to buy the book. I am currently in dialogue with the Royal Mint concerning their released mintage figures - which I dispute. I'm just posting here to see if anyone is aware of any silver coins with a lower 'maximum coin mintage'.

Lol, you're disputing the figures that the people who actually mint the coins tell you?. I'm curious where your basis of dispute comes from against their exact figures, which, bear in mind must be exact :wacko:

Hi there. No, as you suggest, the mintage figures are indeed the mintage figures! I said the 'released' mintage figures and I am referring to those found on their website which may or may not be the 'exact' figures :)

9 minutes ago, youliveyoulean said:

Hi there. No, as you suggest, the mintage figures are indeed the mintage figures! I said the 'released' mintage figures and I am referring to those found on their website which may or may not be the 'exact' figures :)

Ok, but they may or may not have released all of them at this point and so will only give what is out there at present

18 hours ago, youliveyoulean said:

No.  The early proof sets (issued between 1826 and 1853) all have mintages less than 500, with 1853 being the rarest of the sets.

Thanks Nick. Do you know of any silver proof decimal coinage with similar mintages?

2 hours ago, youliveyoulean said:

Thanks Nick. Do you know of any silver proof decimal coinage with similar mintages?

Sorry, I don't really follow decimal coinage.  However, I would imagine that some of the commemorative silver proof issues would have very low mintages, especially the non standard denominations (ie £10, £500).

I agree with YLYL in that there may be three relevant numbers when it comes to Royal Mint issues:

1 - Number authorised

2 - Number Struck

3 - Number released 

There may be a 4th and most important:

4 - Net number sold (out the door)

As I stated in the foreign coins section of this site with regards to Jamaica - I'm fairly certain these numbers are not all the same. RM have NOT responded to three inquiries and I've nearly given up.

Edward VIII proof count as silver - there were very few of them issued

On 27. Oktober 2016 at 9:36 AM, youliveyoulean said:

After purchasing the new 2017 Sovereign proof yesterday, reading the mintage figures it stated 10,500 will be released but when you read further it also states that the total mintage will be 13,050. So we can take from that, that there is 2 different figures, 1 is initial mintage which will be initially produced, the 2nd figure of 13,050 is the total output if the demand is there....

Ah, but Dear Eddie (8) did NOT have decimal silver struck to the best I am aware!

VS, I've also just received an unsatisfactory response from a Freedom of Information request to the Royal Mint concerning mintages.

They have confirmed their website lists total sales less returns and not actual mintage figures. For some reason, they have not disclosed the actual mintage figures to me.

I will keep trying!

Check out the prices of the 2014 proof 1 Oz Britannia

On 27/11/2016 at 7:23 PM, youliveyoulean said:

VS, I've also just received an unsatisfactory response from a Freedom of Information request to the Royal Mint concerning mintages.

They have confirmed their website lists total sales less returns and not actual mintage figures. For some reason, they have not disclosed the actual mintage figures to me.

I will keep trying!

Surely the actual mint reports need to be publicly released somewhere?

The enquiry was

On 26/10/2016 at 3:00 PM, youliveyoulean said:

Hi,

Thanks

No decimal  just proof stated edward VIII coins ARE MADE BY THE ROYAL MINT AND ARE SILVER they are rare as well

16 hours ago, Mr T said:

Surely the actual mint reports need to be publicly released somewhere?

I'm sure they are on the mint website, maybe just not every single one though

Ah, they are, but it looks like the mintage figures are omitted - devious.

Perhaps write to the minister whose responsibilities include the Royal Mint?

On 10/26/2016 at 3:00 PM, youliveyoulean said:

Hi,

Thanks

Do you have a link to precisely where you got that information from initially?   

20 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Do you have a link to precisely where you got that information from initially?   

The mintage is correct for the REV proof as far as i can see

• This set is numbered "#7" from The Royal Mint. 
  • Features a stunning APMEXclusive® 1 oz Silver Reverse Proof Britannia - a first time ever striking by the Royal Mint. Only 500 total coins produced worldwide!
  • Each coin contains 1 oz of .999 fine Silver for a total Silver weight of 2 oz.

http://www.apmex.com/product/102634/2016-2-coin-silver-1-oz-britannia-proof-reverse-proof-set-7

Edited by azda

1 hour ago, azda said:

The mintage is correct for the REV proof as far as i can see

• This set is numbered "#7" from The Royal Mint. 
  • Features a stunning APMEXclusive® 1 oz Silver Reverse Proof Britannia - a first time ever striking by the Royal Mint. Only 500 total coins produced worldwide!
  • Each coin contains 1 oz of .999 fine Silver for a total Silver weight of 2 oz.

http://www.apmex.com/product/102634/2016-2-coin-silver-1-oz-britannia-proof-reverse-proof-set-7

Yes, I found that one as well. Does APMEX have any link to the Royal Mint itself? They look like a private company to me.

So @youliveyoulean is that the site you got your 500 mintage from?  

27 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Yes, I found that one as well. Does APMEX have any link to the Royal Mint itself? They look like a private company to me.

So @youliveyoulean is that the site you got your 500 mintage from?  

I think ampex are an american distrabutor,along with 1 other, they generally get first dibs on coins

Edited by azda

Sorry for the slow response. Yes, the reverse proof only has a mintage of 500 coins. Why the Royal Mint has decided to offer these to US collectors first via APMEX I'm not sure. As azda mentions, they get dibs on a lot of coins due to their access to the huge US market.

I guess RM are trying to push more demand and market awareness for the Britannia range over there as that's where the money is...