British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
ozjohn

Under Graded Coin

At the risk of being branded a whinger another poorly graded coin IMO . This time the other way as I think this coin has been significantly under graded. A MS 64/64 would be more appropriate I think.  Perhaps a few bag marks on the truncated neck but the fields look pretty good. Attached pix shows my example of this date.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-1912-George-V-Half-Crown-NGC-MS61-rare-silver-coin-/282195581135?

Obverse Abt. UNC.jpg

An AU 58 for comparison. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1912-Great-Britain-Half-Crown-PCGS-AU-58-Nice-original-coin-/262300976606?hash=item3d125b45de:g:~vYAAOSwuAVWydT0

Which leads to my main concern regarding TPGs. That is consistency.

2 hours ago, ozjohn said:

An AU 58 for comparison. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1912-Great-Britain-Half-Crown-PCGS-AU-58-Nice-original-coin-/262300976606?hash=item3d125b45de:g:~vYAAOSwuAVWydT0

Which leads to my main concern regarding TPGs. That is consistency.

There seems to be scratches in the OBV which TPGs especially PCGS don't like and will mark down a coin for that I sent the attached pic to PCGS, it came back as only MS60.

img_1388.jpg

img_1387.jpg

Edited by azda

IMO, the only thing that saved the OP coin from the AU58 status was the very nice reverse. The obv. just has a lot of "action" as far as friction in the hair and beard especially. 

It sold pretty quickly for $US 399.00 which is a heavy price for a MS 61 1912 halfcrown. Someone thought it was ok. The price given on Values of Coins of the UK site  is  GBP 178 ( $US 217) for UNC.

2 hours ago, ozjohn said:

It sold pretty quickly for $US 399.00 which is a heavy price for a MS 61 1912 halfcrown. Someone thought it was ok. The price given on Values of Coins of the UK site  is  GBP 178 ( $US 217) for UNC.

Probably an American buyer

Perhaps. Their money is as good as anyone else. IMO the quality was good but the price was high however !912 halfcrowns in UNC grade are pretty thin on the ground from my experience and in this case someone was prepared to pay that price to own it.

Stop press it seems that it was sold and now resisted. Sale must have fallen through.

9 hours ago, ozjohn said:

Stop press it seems that it was sold and now resisted. Sale must have fallen through.

Or maybe the buyer read the forum :ph34r: