British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Leo

Lustre anomalies

Hi all. I have a couple of pieces with an unusual look (and not in a good way) that I would like to share. I would love to have your opinion.

First of all, this bun head penny that has a strange 'spotted' or marbled lustre. Is this normal? It appears to have a very weak strike too.

a>1889%20PE_zpseianuyyn.jpg

Second, this halfpenny that has lustre covering one third (from 12 o'clock to 4:00) and the rest is dark. I was on the understanding that lustre fades out with wear, and logically this happens uniformly and first to the fields and exposed areas. However the pattern shown by this piece suggests some sort of partial dipping. Any ideas, apart from having been partially exposed to the elements?

Wash.jpg

Edited by Leo

The halfpenny appears to have been partially covered by another coin for a long while. The darker part of the coin was exposed to light and the lustrous part was hidden.

31 minutes ago, bagerap said:

The halfpenny appears to have been partially covered by another coin for a long while. The darker part of the coin was exposed to light and the lustrous part was hidden.

If that is the case it's interesting to think how long they were left undisturbed. The coin looks to be a good grade. It might have just been left and then rediscovered several years later.

I have a halfcrown with similar marking. It was found partially covered by a florin on a roof beam. Probably undisturbed for decades.

Lustre is affected in all manner of different ways, dependent upon what comes into contact with the coin and the coin's reaction to the atmosphere around it. You get mottled lustre as shown on the 1889 penny above, streaky lustre, lustre on one side of the coin only, and lustre on different parts of the obverse and reverse, just randomly distributed.

Sometimes you'll get a virtually uncirculated coin which has toned to the extent that the lustre has vanished, and other times you'll get a coin which has worn down to just VF, still with traces of lustre.

Typically, of course, lustre lasts for longest in the lettering where it is most protected from contact with hands and surfaces, rather than on the field. 

Often difficult to pin down the precise reasons for a given lustre distribution in each case.      

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bagerap said:

Yes.

It would be interesting to know what the reverse of the halfpenny looks like.  

Thank you for your opinions, I wouldn't imagine that exposure to light could do such a thing.

It would be interesting to know what the reverse of the halfpenny looks like. 

Not like the obverse! Uniformly lustrous, with a good few carbon spots

Thank you for your opinions, I wouldn't imagine that exposure to light could do such a thing.

It surely can. I once made the mistake of leaving two proof shillings in capsules near a south facing window for two weeks. One overlapped the other by a small margin, and when I came back from holiday there was a clearly defined area of tarnish.

• Like 1