British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
gillybean129

Does the 1882 penny have any value?

Hi

New to the forum please be kind!

I inherited my dad's coin collection about 6 years ago, lots of books with collections, and boxes of coins, some in wallets some loose, assuming the walleted ones are more valuable. In one of these  was an 1882 penny, I have been looking at a couple of sites and some say there's a value attached. I can't see an 'H' there but difficult to tell...

penny.jpg

Hi.

The photo you have posted apears to have the H.

Its a coin you will find that has been discussed on here numerous times .

Maybe have a search on the forum by typing in 1882 penny.

You have the coin in hand but in that condition from the reverse you are in the 3K range.

Dont want to raise your hopes as looks like a H is there :(

A main indicator would be on the obverse also.

Pete.

Hi and welcome Gillybean.

Yes looks like an H there in the first photo. You should grab yourself a loupe, it'll help to see things like this and if you're collecting coins it's always handy to have one laying around.

There's a lot of 1882 pennies like this, where the H has been pretty much worn away, but the vestiges are still just visible, especially under magnification .

In truth there are very few genuine no H 1882 pennies, and those that do exist have a different die pairing to the 1882H's.  

If circulated about £5/£6 trouble is these coins were collected in the 60's and were taken from change.My grandfather had over 20 1946 3ds from change and are worth diddly. If only he took Unc 50's 2/6d's out of the market or even Pre 47 silver.

We all live and learn.

BTW your 1d is a thrower.Put it in a nice wood for future detectorists to find.The coin is worth 5p in copper.

51 minutes ago, gillybean129 said:

Great thank you, by the way I also have a 1949 threepence, is this valuable?!

It is if it's in uncirculated or near uncirculated state, yes B)

36 minutes ago, gillybean129 said:

no I don't think so....

Nonetheless rare so worth hanging onto. There were only 464,000 minted. Contrast that with over 103 million in 1942, and over 101 million in 1943, for example - and many millions most other years. 

As others have implied, 1946 and 1949 are always quoted as the scarcest 3Ds. I find the 1946 in used condition will only make £2 or £3. The 1949 does a little better - £4 to £6. In Uncirculated condition, or near so they will go for a great deal more.

The 1950 in any condition is proving scarce these days and if you have one in Unc worth tucking away!

2 hours ago, Paddy said:

As others have implied, 1946 and 1949 are always quoted as the scarcest 3Ds. I find the 1946 in used condition will only make £2 or £3. The 1949 does a little better - £4 to £6. In Uncirculated condition, or near so they will go for a great deal more.

The 1950 in any condition is proving scarce these days and if you have one in Unc worth tucking away!

I bought this 1950 specimen for just 25p at a jumble sale in the 1990's. It is UNC, just a shame about the carbon staining.

Illustrating that it's swings and roundabouts when collecting coins. Some you get as real bargains, and others you pay a lot for.  

threepence 1950 obv.jpg

threepence 1950 rev.jpg

• Like 1

What's it worth now, do ya reckon?

26 minutes ago, Nordle11 said:

What's it worth now, do ya reckon?

Dunno Matt, to be honest. It's so long since I finished my brass threepence collection, and moved onto other things, specifically the myriad varieties of bun pennies, that I've totally lost touch with them.  

5 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Dunno Matt, to be honest. It's so long since I finished my brass threepence collection, and moved onto other things, specifically the myriad varieties of bun pennies, that I've totally lost touch with them.  

Very easy to get caught up in the bun head pennies! I have my own word doc with info/pics I find throughout the years, from 1900 to 1967 is about 40 pages long, 1860 to 1862 is about 50... :blink:

9 minutes ago, Nordle11 said:

Very easy to get caught up in the bun head pennies! I have my own word doc with info/pics I find throughout the years, from 1900 to 1967 is about 40 pages long, 1860 to 1862 is about 50..:blink:

Yep, head spinning. I know. But once you're in it, it's too fascinating to let go, until you're finished. Or as finished as you ever can be with buns, as you're unlikely to ever be complete :ph34r:  

2 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Yep, head spinning. I know. But once you're in it, it's too fascinating to let go, until you're finished. Or as finished as you ever can be with buns, as you're unlikely to ever be complete :ph34r:  

Ain't that the truth lol. Then along comes Terry/Richard/Prax with a new variety of 1862 which we then need to add to the seemingly perpetual list :D 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nordle11 said:

Ain't that the truth lol. Then along comes Terry/Richard/Prax with a new variety of 1862 which we then need to add to the seemingly perpetual list :D 

Yes, although I'm limiting myself to Freeman types only, otherwise it could just go on forever. Ultimately, collecting the series has to have a natural limit (for me anyway), and I'm not a border tooth counter, or letter to gap kind of collector. Kudos to those who are, I greatly admire their dedication. But I reach my personal gold standard with varieties where differences can be seen with the naked eye, even if only just, or maybe with one lens of the loupe, such as spotting the L C or "I" C WYON on the obverse of an early bun ;)     

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Yes, although I'm limiting myself to Freeman types only, otherwise it could just go on forever. Ultimately, collecting the series has to have a natural limit (for me anyway), and I'm not a border tooth counter, or letter to gap kind of collector. Kudos to those who are, I greatly admire their dedication. But I reach my personal gold standard with varieties where differences can be seen with the naked eye, even if only just, or maybe with one lens of the loupe, such as spotting the L C or "I" C WYON on the obverse of an early bun ;)     

Think you're being wise there :) 

My priorities cascade, depending on what's available;

- Date run (An example of each year)

- Varieties on individual years (purposeful design changes)

- Errors (brockages/broadstrikes etc)

- Widely recognised varieties (dot flaws/overstrikes - accidental design changes)

- Lesser known varieties (like the 1862 'VIGTORIA' - accidental design changes)

I think I've counted all the teeth on a penny only twice, that's about my limit :D 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Nordle11 said:

Think you're being wise there :) 

My priorities cascade, depending on what's available;

- Date run (An example of each year)

- Varieties on individual years (purposeful design changes)

- Errors (brockages/broadstrikes etc)

- Widely recognised varieties (dot flaws/overstrikes - accidental design changes)

- Lesser known varieties (like the 1862 'VIGTORIA' - accidental design changes)

I think I've counted all the teeth on a penny only twice, that's about my limit :D 

Not once for me. I haven't the patience and would probably lose the count part way through. 

8 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Not once for me. I haven't the patience and would probably lose the count part way through. 

I don't think I could do it properly just counting, I had a blown up picture and was counting them off in chunks of 10, marking where each group was. Then count the groups. I'd definitely lose count otherwise lol.