British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paul O

Celtic Coin, what do you think ?

Found this in 2000

As I understand it, the bottom is said to represent a Torc, but to me it looks like a person covered with shields.

What do you think ?

STATER.JPG

Welcome @Paul O to the forum!

Very nice looking coin - Can you post a photo of the other side? Also some idea of scale and weight would help.

Where did you get the understanding that the symbol below the horse is a torc? Did you get an identification of which coin it is? It certainly doesn't look like a torc to me, so it may have been a mis-identification in the first place. With a view of the other side I am sure someone here will be able to tell you more.

It's a std Gallo Gelgic E. (well not that std) the Obv is blank, (it look like the "triple tail" has fell off)

I can’t remember where I was it, but I do remember seeing a picture that showed various parts of the stater & the bottom supposed to represent a torc.

I remember speaking to Philip de Jersey at the time I found it & he couldn’t find one with the same details at the bottom,

& although he agreed it didn’t look like it represented a torc, he didn’t want to commit as to what he thought it represented.

Yes - I had got as far as the Gallo Belgic Staters - I just needed to know the other side was blank.

Not really my area - I have two books that vaguely cover it:

Standard Spinks (my version is 2011). Closest match in here is S11 - but that expects a zigzag below the horse, which yours clearly isn't.

R P Mack Coinage of Ancient Britain 1975. Here it is M27 and describes a "Decorated exergual line" beneath the horse, which may cover yours but may not! The pictures in Mack are so poor it is difficult to be sure what they are looking at.

From your recollections of what Philip said, it certainly does sound unusual and probably something the British Museum would like to see. From your picture it certainly looks more like a figure covered with shields - possibly a funeral ritual?

That's as much as I can help - I hope someone else chips in.

Others in the web are researching and studying Archaeoastronomy, ancient glyph,languages and alphabet and Megalith etc that Celts ancestor might put some info in the Celtic coins  maybe other expert in Celtic coins may bring light what is the differences

it is a Torc or a body covered with shield a fallen warrior or something?https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cernunnos Just posting fascinating   just a link  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celtic_coinage

Sensitive as Fuark?http://www.symbolic-meanings.com/2008/12/17/symbolic-meaning-of-the-celtic-torc/

Edited by josie

Thank you Josie & Paddy,

Iv'e looked at a lot of pictures of this type S.11 & S.12 (triple tail) & the "zigzag below" all seem to look different but none look remotely like this

It’s nice to find something different

Just posting ,Zeno Paradoxes,Eye of Horus.Imperial weight and Measure,Coin and fractional denomination and weight and dimension ratio?Megalith and ancient Celtic coin recording events in the sky coin astronomy?Archaeoastronomy? 1/64? denomination seen other Celtic coin in the web with loads of dots and blank on the other face or side days before every moon phase or cycle  depending what tribe or coin or Megalith they have?maybe? maybe http://www.silentearth.org/stonehenge-avebury-drombeg-stone-circles-deciphered-review/

Edited by josie