British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
JamieB

Greetings all!

Just a quick hello to everyone, been a long time lurker soaking up all the excellent advice and knowledge from the experts on this excellent forum! 

Ive been collecting for several years, started out a bullion guy but bored me to death, love history, and coins from the Victorian era just hit the spot for me.  

Jamie 

Hi Pete,

Thank you for your welcome :) 

Im afraid so lol, bun head pennies in best grade I can afford really.  

Always concerned about Bronze storage tho, would love to have them stored open air so to speak in a glass lided tray but I've them in 2x2s which aren't that attractive to me.  

Ive read many posts on here, and the knowledge is unreal!  

Jamie 

Hi Jamie welcome to the forum. I have only been a member of the forum for a few months, but have been helped a lot from all the guys on here.

Mick

Edited by UPINSMOKE
  • Like 1

Hi Mick,

Thank you for the warm welcome :) 

Jamie 

Welcome Jamie, you're in good hands here being a penny collector.

Although most of the people responding will be direct competition for you :D 

As is standard practice for a nooblet, post a couple of pictures of some of your favourites for us to enjoy :) 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, JamieB said:

Hi Pete,

Thank you for your welcome :) 

Im afraid so lol, bun head pennies in best grade I can afford really.  

Always concerned about Bronze storage tho, would love to have them stored open air so to speak in a glass lided tray but I've them in 2x2s which aren't that attractive to me.  

Ive read many posts on here, and the knowledge is unreal!  

Jamie 

Welcome Jamie, you're in great company here B)

• Like 1

Thank you Nordle & 1949Threepence! :) 

Coudlnt ask for a warmer welcome! 

I seriously doubt I'll put up any compitition to you guys on here!

Picked up this 1862 recently for £49 if I remember correctly.  

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 3

Edge knocks may detract eye appeal for some people but I liked it, plus money burns a hole in my pocket! :blink:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Lovely, and a great price too. Keep 'em coming :)

That 1865 a 5 over 3?

Thanks Nordle, I think it's just standard 1865, might invest in microscope to pick up on the variations.  Just using a loupe at the minute.  

Jamie 

Also bought this 1889 recently from the same seller, probably upgrade it when funds allow ?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Some nice coins there, Jamie. Are there any particular bun types you are seeking, out of interest?

I've been collecting buns since 2010, and have the entire date run intact. Now trying to complete (as far as is possible) the 1860 and 1861 varieties. Recently completed the 1874 series, I'm pleased to say.   

• Like 1

Thanks, Just doing the best I can within my budget :) 

congrats on the completion, it's no easy feat.  

Well a toothed/beaded 1860 mule would be nice, although the I've quite a few gaps remaining and major varieties needed also.

Im aiming for lustre also, but my pockets ain't bottomless pits lol Can live and hope I suppose.

Is it a general consensus that bronze shouldn't be stored open air in like a tray? 

I bought a lovely glass lidded tray, but now I'm in two minds to make to transfer.  

Jamie  

• Like 1

Picked this 1862 up for a mere £10, nice detail apart from the cleaning it's taken at some stage 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Yes Jamie you are like me a penny loony.

You have one 1862 and still buy another :lol:

• Like 1

Pete, just can't resist a nice penny for a fair price :) 

Constantly on the look out, wish I'd the funds to go to bricks and mortor auctions.  

Jamie 

How about using coin capsules in your tray? I have recently found the ones from 'Windsor Mint' to be nice, rimless, compact and a good fit (31mm for a penny) but you will get bombarded with postal 'special offer' flyers that you should ignore! I use them in my coin cabinet trays, you can handle the coin safely and yet they are well presented.

Jerry

• Like 1

Hi Jerry, that's a good plan of action.  I'd need to purchase another tray to allow but it would be worth it. 

Ive them all in 2x2s in a lovely wooden box with slides for each 2x2 so no rubbing etc, also have silica gel packs in there too.

Ill check those capsules out, I was eyeing up buying genuine airtites from USA, but the postage is the same cost of 25 capsules! 

Cheers

Jamie