British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Stevie19

Importing coins

Hello 

Can anybody advise on the following experience I have had with importing coins. I won a lot on the Heritage Auctions site and the coin was shipped from the USA to U.K. By UPS.  The package was held by UPS for two weeks at their East Midlands depot with the claim being that there was insufficient information on the import declaration for it to be processed however; the package clearly stated that it contained a non-gold numismatic collectors item.  UPS made no attempt to contact me and I only became aware that they were holding the package when I checked the tracking data. I then received conflicting information from them that caused further delays. The upshot of this was that they charged me £78.00 for ''storage fees'' in addition to the correct import VAT of 5%. Has anyone else encountered this issue and who is at fault, UPS or U.K. Customs dept.?

2 hours ago, Stevie19 said:

Hello 

Can anybody advise on the following experience I have had with importing coins. I won a lot on the Heritage Auctions site and the coin was shipped from the USA to U.K. By UPS.  The package was held by UPS for two weeks at their East Midlands depot with the claim being that there was insufficient information on the import declaration for it to be processed however; the package clearly stated that it contained a non-gold numismatic collectors item.  UPS made no attempt to contact me and I only became aware that they were holding the package when I checked the tracking data. I then received conflicting information from them that caused further delays. The upshot of this was that they charged me £78.00 for ''storage fees'' in addition to the correct import VAT of 5%. Has anyone else encountered this issue and who is at fault, UPS or U.K. Customs dept.?

IMO it sounds like UPS are at fault, maybe you could contact Heritage with your complaint who could in turn contact UPS USA who can then contact UPS UK to find out what info they claimed was missing, my opinion would be not to pay the fee, let them send it back if needs be and if there was a problem get heritage to rectify it as they make the shipping labels, it might be just BS from the UPS UK as Heritage do shipping labels probably every week and i cannot see how they could mess 1 up

Edited by azda