British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Nick

1837 sixpence B over R in BRITANNIAR

What value would you expect for this variety in EF and UNC grade?  The only reference that mentions it is Spink and that says "Extremely rare".  I've only seen one sold at auction and that fetched £240 in nVF at LCA in Jun 2013.

My best guess would place the value somewhere equivalent to an 1862 or 1863 sixpence.

36 minutes ago, Nick said:

What value would you expect for this variety in EF and UNC grade?  The only reference that mentions it is Spink and that says "Extremely rare".  I've only seen one sold at auction and that fetched £240 in nVF at LCA in Jun 2013.

My best guess would place the value somewhere equivalent to an 1862 or 1863 sixpence.

@jaggy is your man

I have never heard of this variety. The only B over R that I know of is the 1821 BBitanniar.

17 minutes ago, jaggy said:

I have never heard of this variety. The only B over R that I know of is the 1821 BBitanniar.

It's definitely in Spinks, just looked it up and has it as Extremely rare as Nick says B/RRITANNIAR. Another to add onto your list @jaggy

It is fairly rare, I've only seen 2 or 3.  I have a picture of the overstrike.

1837-6D-BR_zps3nust0kf.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, azda said:

It's definitely in Spinks, just looked it up and has it as Extremely rare as Nick says B/RRITANNIAR. Another to add onto your list @jaggy

Indeed. That list seems to get longer no matter how many coins I buy :o

2 hours ago, jaggy said:

Indeed. That list seems to get longer no matter how many coins I buy :o

And here's another to add.  The 1898 sixpence with small date (1 in date points to tooth).

On 19/10/2016 at 3:46 PM, Nick said:

It is fairly rare, I've only seen 2 or 3.  I have a picture of the overstrike.

Very good coin

This should be right up my alley as well! Can't rate this with the 1862 or 63, I'm afraid. I'd be all over a true "RRITANNIAR", as in the 1868 3d. Overstruck lettering is nice but just not there IMO. At the right price I'd be a buyer but not at the level of the former. 

Thanks.  Always useful to know what other collectors find desirable.

A low grade one of these has just been listed on eBay, item number 282570051312

It does seem to be a very rare variety; I have only seen a couple myself.