British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Peter.V

Gold tower of London coin 1952 -1977

Hi everyone,

I have had this coin for a long time now, which used to be from my grandma.

I would like to know more about it. I have seen other tower of London coins but not quite like this one and since my grand mother was very wealthy I was wondering if this coin has any value.

Seems like its gold but I am not certain.

If anyone could tell me more about this coin it would be truly appreciated.

14619875_10210471379198049_1684384917_n.jpg

14627862_10210471379318052_2126965498_n.jpg

14620060_10210471379598059_1756539587_n.jpg

I have visited the BM website. I have noticed that many coins are listed in their collection but most have no pictures. I was wondering if any forum member know whether pictures are available or even if the coins can be viewed by visiting the museum.

Rob has posted before at problems viewing on site, and I don't think you are allowed to take images yourself,

From my enquiries, you can ask for images to be taken for a fee, these are than added to the collections for all to see

Looks like silver to me and being 1977 that would be appropriate

10 hours ago, Bernie said:

I have visited the BM website. I have noticed that many coins are listed in their collection but most have no pictures. I was wondering if any forum member know whether pictures are available or even if the coins can be viewed by visiting the museum.

Can of worms here.

Pictures can be purchased, however the cost will probably put you off. When I wanted images of their Weyl patterns in 2009 I was offered a picture of each side at £50 a pop. The collection holds 7 coins, so understandably I didn't bother spending £700 on a few images when those for the other 85 coins I had pictures of came for free. I offered to take the images and let them have a copy to save someone doing the job, but that wasn't acceptable as they were trying to raise money to do the job I offered to do for free. :wacko:

This all stemmed from the fact that I had acquired an 1860 Weyl penny in 'aluminium' at the Adams sale, but it weighed over 10g, which was 3 times too much. I was able to book an appointment to view their examples, but not just turn up on the day. They were a lot twitchy because I wanted to take my coin in for comparison with theirs. However, we negotiated a compromise, but someone was watching over at all times like a hawk. It really feels like the collection is saved from rather than for the public.

Until a few years ago there were more coin images uploaded, but it appears that a lot of these have been removed. To summarise, the person responsible should should not have been. After Brady, I was trying to establish the pecking order for the remaining available Ed. VI profile groats. A quick perusal of the museum collection informed me that they had a couple hundred Ed.VI groats - from a surviving population of a dozen or so. Somebody had listed all the Ed.IV facing bust groats as Ed.VI!! Anyway, to cap it off, when I did finally extract the few profile groats from the 10 pages or so of Ed.IV it also transpired that the accession details were screwed up too. They had managed to allocate the image for the Montagu coin to a later date. The Clarke-Thornhill bequest (1935) coin was given the Montagu accession details (1896). I pointed out that the 'Montagu' referenced coin was illustrated in the Huth catalogue (1927), so their online info was crap. I went through the images and gave them a list of what the provenances should read together with those listed as Ed.VI which were in fact Ed.IV, but no thanks were forthcoming. Nor were they willing to give me an image (even a scan) of their Oxford 1644 F-2 groat (the other known example to the one I have) as a thank you.

On the plus side, the BM did at least answer my enquiry as to how many they had in their possession, unlike the 6 or 7 other museums that didn't even bother replying. They must hate the public.

Good luck.