British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

UPINSMOKE

1946 & 1949 Brass Threepence

17 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

I always snipe if I can get to a PC. Bid once, bid your maximum, and bid with 5 seconds to go. That way any competition doesn't have time to outbid you, or if their bid was already higher than your maximum, you don't have time for anything other than a slight sinking feeling, a little remorse perhaps, but no time to go mad - the auction's over. ;)

Good Advice :):) I do have the ability to snipe so really should use it. The only problem I have is deciding what price I bid. I use the Rotographic price guide to check prices, with not much success. I check the price and bid up to 80% of the book price and in most cases get outbid because they are bidding more than the book price sometimes double. I know the book is only a guide but it seems that the book is not showing the current market prices.

Edited by UPINSMOKE

Not all guides will give you the same price, so maybe try a few different ones to build an idea between them?

And really some coins are grossly over- or under-valued, even in volumes such as Spink or Roto....Also, grading from pictures can be a bit deceptive....If i know a coin is special I will occasionally throw out a "nuclear" bid as well, but either use snipe if I can not be there on the computer or self-snipe.

If we are talking about ebay tactics. I work out my upper limit that I would pay for something. I do this by checking price from whatever price guide I have to hand, I have also started looking at auction and dealers sites.

I then make the bid normally a few hours ahead of the end time, then I turn off eBay and wait for the email to tell me if I have one or lost.

This may not work for everyone and I really cannot be bothered with snip bidding.

I have tried watching the bidding but all that does is make me make impulse bid higher than I should.

I seem to get around 70% of the coins I bid on and the ones I don't get I am not worried about as there will be another one along at some point.

36 minutes ago, VickySilver said:

And really some coins are grossly over- or under-valued, even in volumes such as Spink or Roto....Also, grading from pictures can be a bit deceptive....If i know a coin is special I will occasionally throw out a "nuclear" bid as well, but either use snipe if I can not be there on the computer or self-snipe.

:D Like it

8 minutes ago, IanB said:

If we are talking about ebay tactics. I work out my upper limit that I would pay for something. I do this by checking price from whatever price guide I have to hand, I have also started looking at auction and dealers sites.

I then make the bid normally a few hours ahead of the end time, then I turn off eBay and wait for the email to tell me if I have one or lost.

This may not work for everyone and I really cannot be bothered with snip bidding.

I have tried watching the bidding but all that does is make me make impulse bid higher than I should.

I seem to get around 70% of the coins I bid on and the ones I don't get I am not worried about as there will be another one along at some point.

That's sensible bidding there Ian, something some of us should observe sometimes :D 

Snipe can mean sitting there and clicking a few seconds before the auction ends, but can also refer to sniping as in placing a bid through a third party site which will bid through your account on your behalf, at a designated time. This is why sometimes even when you snipe with a second to go you still get beaten, the auto snipes can bid it within milliseconds of the auction ending. If you already knew that, I've read your post wrong and I'm sorry -_-

12 minutes ago, azda said:

:D Like it

Made me chuckle too.

That's 'nuclear bids' and 'chatter marks' I've nicked off you now VS :D 

45 minutes ago, Nordle11 said:

That's sensible bidding there Ian, something some of us should observe sometimes :D 

Snipe can mean sitting there and clicking a few seconds before the auction ends, but can also refer to sniping as in placing a bid through a third party site which will bid through your account on your behalf, at a designated time. This is why sometimes even when you snipe with a second to go you still get beaten, the auto snipes can bid it within milliseconds of the auction ending. If you already knew that, I've read your post wrong and I'm sorry -_-

Nothing to apologies for Matt. I am aware that there is software that will do the sniping for you, I figure if someone wants it that badly then they can have it and I will get the next one.:)

My method works for me and stops me from getting carried away with last minute panic bidding. A lesson it took me a while to learn.

Like most of us on here I have probably paid too much for some coins but I have also been lucky and picked up a few gems at a good price. Its all swings and roundabouts and as long as at the end of the day I am happy with what I have bought thats the main thing:)

Edited by IanB

5 minutes ago, IanB said:

Nothing to apologies for Matt. I am aware that there is software that will do the sniping for you, I figure if someone wants it that badly then they can have it and I will get the next one.:)

My method works for me and stops me from getting carried away with last minute panic bidding. A lesson it took me a while to learn.

Like most of us on here I have probably paid too much for some coins but I have also been lucky and picked up a few gems at a good price. Its all swings and roundabouts and as long as at the end of the day I am happy with what I have bought thats the main thing:)

My bad!

You make goods points, I still occasionally panic bid :) Especially at DNW or other auctions with live bidding :o bad habits die hard.

2 minutes ago, Nordle11 said:

bad habits die hard.

Oh lets not even talk about bad habits. I am sure my ex wife could fill a book about mine.

If only I was collecting coins at that time, it might have kept me out of all sorts of compromising situations:o

14 minutes ago, Nordle11 said:

My bad!

You make goods points, I still occasionally panic bid :) Especially at DNW or other auctions with live bidding :o bad habits die hard.

The worst part with live bidding is when you see a coin you want at estimate of say £100 and come the lot the opening bid is £600, your brain is trying to fathom out WTF just happened <_< and should i bid :D and, what do they know :huh:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IanB said:

Oh lets not even talk about bad habits. I am sure my ex wife could fill a book about mine.

If only I was collecting coins at that time, it might have kept me out of all sorts of compromising situations:o

ex wife :lol: :lol: 

1 hour ago, PWA 1967 said:

ex wife :lol: :lol: 

Yes Pete, but I have got a second chance with a very nice lady? This time I intend to not be a silly boy and go through all that again.

it seems so far that my only bad habit is coin collecting and having virtual conversations on a forum.

she seems okay with that one?

2 minutes ago, IanB said:

Yes Pete, but I have got a second chance with a very nice lady? This time I intend to not be a silly boy and go through all that again.

it seems so far that my only bad habit is coin collecting and having virtual conversations on a forum.

she seems okay with that one?

Yes she told me last night :o

It was more the compromising situations that made me smile .........CLASSIC ;)

3 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Yes she told me last night :o

It was more the compromising situations that made me smile .........CLASSIC ;)

They made me smile at the time ?

5 hours ago, Nordle11 said:

Yes - didn't there used to be a site called "hammersnipe", which auto bid on your behalf? May still exist.

If I really want a coin, I leave nothing to chance, and will be there to manually snipe a few seconds before the end. An outrageously high bid at that point will not only win it, but take your winning bid amount to just the next level above the second high bid, and because you can see in the seconds before your bid, what everybody else is bidding, makes it more unlikely that another outrageously high bid will also be made in those final few seconds, independent of yours. Possible, but unlikely.      

Definately possible.

If the coins right and nice chances are someone else will want it.

I have gone over the top sometimes ....talking hundreds not just a couple of pound and not got the coin / Banknote i was after.

Alternatively got them at pretty much my maximum.

Price with a minute left £100......Bid £600 and ended up paying very close to that........just making numbers up as trying to explain.

Throwing big bids in .....still be happy to pay that amount.

Edited by PWA 1967

Right I have re photographed the two 3d Brass just to see if any opinions change from the original picture on the eBay listing. Please let me know what you think.

IMGP3026.JPGIMGP3027.JPG

Grading?

1949 - fine

1946 - aVF

8 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Grading?

1949 - fine

1946 - aVF

I'd go slightly better than Fine on the 1949

17 minutes ago, Paulus said:

17 minutes ago, Paulus said:

That's right you you stick up for me Paul:) These are the same coins as before just different pics. The 1946 looks far better in hand than shown in the picture.

On 15/10/2016 at 11:24 PM, The Coinery said:

Hi Mick

As far as I know there are 2 types of 1946 and 3 types of 1949. No doubt there are more. Here are some pics of mine to give you an idea of what to look for. I could not get the pic of the 1949.03 due to size. Will add after

What are the differences between the two 46's and the three 49's. I know there is the rounded corners and sharp corners for the 49 but what is the 3rd example.

On 11/7/2016 at 3:27 PM, Gary D said:

What are the differences between the two 46's and the three 49's. I know there is the rounded corners and sharp corners for the 49 but what is the 3rd example.

I have know Idea @Gary D what the 3rd example is, maybe @The Coinery will be along with an explanation or another member with more experience than myself.

It will be the proofs of those dates, I realised after I'd finish scratching my head.