British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

UPINSMOKE

1946 & 1949 Brass Threepence

I took a punt on these 1946 & 1949 Brass Threepence on eBay and wanted to get your opinions  on condition and market price of these two coins. These are not my pictures they are from the listing. I know they are not the best and should perhaps have left them alone but they will do for now as space fillers in my threepence collection until I can find better. What do you think, be as harsh as you like.

1946-1949 Threepences Brass Rev.jpg1946-1949 Threepences Brass Obv.jpg

Hi Mick

As far as I know there are 2 types of 1946 and 3 types of 1949. No doubt there are more. Here are some pics of mine to give you an idea of what to look for. I could not get the pic of the 1949.03 due to size. Will add after

B3.G6.1949.02  Rev.jpg

B3.G6.1949.02  Obv.jpg

B3.G6.1949.01  Rev.jpg

B3.G6.1949.01  Obv.jpg

B3.G6.1946.01 Rev.jpg

B3.G6.1946.02  Obv.jpg

B3.G6.1946.02  Rev.jpg

B3.G6.1946.01 Obv.jpg

Edited by The Coinery
I mixed up the photo order.

None of those links work for me Guy. :(

Cant you see the pics ?

B3.G6.1949.03  Rev.jpg

B3.G6.1949.03  Obv.jpg

B3.G6.1946.01 Obv.jpg

B3.G6.1946.01 Rev.jpg

B3.G6.1946.02  Obv.jpg

B3.G6.1946.02  Rev.jpg

B3.G6.1949.02  Obv.jpg

B3.G6.1949.02  Rev.jpg

B3.G6.1949.03  Rev.jpg

B3.G6.1949.03  Obv.jpg

I really love my Brass 3D's.

I think they are an interesting little coin which most collectors over look.

Does anyone know how many and what years is the complete run ?

1937 to 1967 minus 1947 and proof 1970,

Can see them all now, suspect problem this end. Incompetent user error or something. :)

6 hours ago, UPINSMOKE said:

I took a punt on these 1946 & 1949 Brass Threepence on eBay and wanted to get your opinions  on condition and market price of these two coins. These are not my pictures they are from the listing. I know they are not the best and should perhaps have left them alone but they will do for now as space fillers in my threepence collection until I can find better. What do you think, be as harsh as you like.

1946-1949 Threepences Brass Rev.jpg1946-1949 Threepences Brass Obv.jpg

I's say they're both gFine, the 1946 cleaned. I don't collect or know much about brass threepences so can't say much more.

The 1949 looks a good honest coin.  Agree about the 1946 being cleaned, it doesn't hold that much eye appeal to me I'm afraid.  GF sounds about right although I suspect some may say F.

As to price - somewhere between £5 and £10 for the 1949, maybe £5 for the 1946?

Here are my similar coins - bought about 35 years ago at a coin fair when I was a schoolboy!  The 1946 is a bit better than the 1949 I think, but both are of similar grade to yours.  I still like them...

J%20Threepence%201946_zps8p5hqawt.jpg

J%20Threepence%201949_zpsgaoja8m0.jpg

On 10/16/2016 at 1:00 PM, Stuntman said:

The 1949 looks a good honest coin.  Agree about the 1946 being cleaned, it doesn't hold that much eye appeal to me I'm afraid.  GF sounds about right although I suspect some may say F.

As to price - somewhere between £5 and £10 for the 1949, maybe £5 for the 1946?

Thanks for the in put looks as though I have done it again and paid a little too much again cost me £23 including postage. But then again I do have examples for the collection best condition I could find at the time. Will keep looking for better ones to replace at some time.

I do like yours though, a more consistent eye appeal than mine. Thanks for showing them.  

On 10/15/2016 at 11:24 PM, The Coinery said:

Hi Mick

As far as I know there are 2 types of 1946 and 3 types of 1949. No doubt there are more. Here are some pics of mine to give you an idea of what to look for. I could not get the pic of the 1949.03 due to size. Will add after

Hi Guy your coins look superb a bit out of my league I think. Thanks for posting the pictures something I can dream about achieving one day. I do like the 3ds brings back memories of my childhood. I was given one of these by my Grandad each week for pocket money, bought a lot of sweets with one of these.

7 minutes ago, UPINSMOKE said:

Will keep looking for better ones to replace at some time.

There is a 1946 Threepence on Mark Rasmussen's site. 

Ref 28/528

http://www.rascoins.com/stock.cfm?from=261&heading=&do=colour&colour=Copper&mainheading=&collectionname=&

• Like 1

6 hours ago, IanB said:

Thanks Ian did have a look but for now its out of my reach trying to save my money towards an 1899 Crown and Halfpenny to finish off my set of 1899 coins. But appreciate the link.

would grade as Fine/ Good fine  with both coins .

Value ? Around £4 and £6 , they are common in this grade

I would be inclined to agree - looking at a June/July dealer list I have to hand, he has the 1946 and 1949 in GF priced at £3 and £5 respectively.

Mine are like Stuntman's. Bought as a schoolboy in about 1983 from the only coin shop in the area, probably in his 10p tray. I would upgrade but the prices are silly now. :(

1949 & 1946 3d.JPG

5 hours ago, copper123 said:

would grade as Fine/ Good fine  with both coins .

Value ? Around £4 and £6 , they are common in this grade

4 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

I would be inclined to agree - looking at a June/July dealer list I have to hand, he has the 1946 and 1949 in GF priced at £3 and £5 respectively.

Mine are like Stuntman's. Bought as a schoolboy in about 1983 from the only coin shop in the area, probably in his 10p tray. I would upgrade but the prices are silly now. :(

1949 & 1946 3d.JPG

Thanks Guys as I thought, I paid too much again:o Well back to the drawing board. I think I just got caught up in the moment on eBay as you do, and thinking must have. I must stop doing this :huh: Will just have to move them on and take the loss. Already bought two more slightly better will post pictures when they arrive. 

You might have better luck looking at some dealers' lists than ebay. Think most of us have got a bit carried away at some point though. :)

42 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

You might have better luck looking at some dealers' lists than ebay. Think most of us have got a bit carried away at some point though. :)

I would love to see some dealers list can you recommend any I can contact? I do get Colin Cookes but don't have a clue who else to contact.

You are right I should stick to a firm price on eBay but then someone outbids you so then I think its mine and go mad at times. 

39 minutes ago, UPINSMOKE said:

...but then someone outbids you so then I think its mine and go mad at times. 

I always snipe if I can get to a PC. Bid once, bid your maximum, and bid with 5 seconds to go. That way any competition doesn't have time to outbid you, or if their bid was already higher than your maximum, you don't have time for anything other than a slight sinking feeling, a little remorse perhaps, but no time to go mad - the auction's over. ;)