British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
1949threepence

Trump v Clinton

1 minute ago, jaggy said:

Although when you scratch the surface, he is actually quite a good candidate with experience as Governor of New Mexico. A former Republican, I should imagine there are quite a few in the GOP who wish he was still in the party.

I think you have a good handle on it Jaggy. Both Parties would like to have different choices, but............:)

8 minutes ago, jaggy said:

Gary Johnson is the third party (Libertarian) candidate. He is running at around 8% - 10% of the vote. I really cannot bring myself to vote for either Clinton or Trump (for different reasons) and voting for the lesser evil is still voting for evil.

You have proved my point Jaggy. I admire you for voting though. A lot of voters will not be voting because they don't like the two major condidates.

So why hasn't Gary Johnson been invited into the TV debates where only Trump and Clinton have been on air? Just because they are the 2 main candidates? Shouldn't all candidates get the same stage?

I can't fathom a thinking person voting for Trump, who in my opinion has come completely unhinged. I do understand that Hilary seems a bit stiff and not necessarily likable, but Trump is erratic to say the least and still has yet to unveil any concrete plans to us poor slobs to mention being very erratic and completely off the rails with his commentary about Mexicans, Muslims, Women, etc. - how in the world has not 1% of this crap gotten him disqualified in the minds of sentient individuals. This latest bit about questioning the validity of voting and poling is yet another example of shear lunacy (and that's putting it nicely) and interesting in light of the Republican advantages gained by, ahem, articulating this very process - like Florida??

I mean really, what does he even stand for? I'm not convinced that even he knows. Quite amusing at times, and definitely not someone to be taken seriously except that he is running for president. It seemed for a while like if he could pull his act together that he would have a chance to be elected. Shooting himself repeatedly in the foot has not really helped IMO, but even more amusing is how anyone could even vote for him - based on what? If he was consistently Right Wing, that might be dislikable to some (i.e. me), but at least voters would have an idea of what he is about.

I really want somebody to point out to me what he really is for the average person in America (USA); this is something that I imagine a supporter would have to speculate on since there is nothing consistent. Loose cannon? I'd say so. Really, I've had enough of him but I guess we hopefully only have another month or so of him?? 

27 minutes ago, azda said:

So why hasn't Gary Johnson been invited into the TV debates where only Trump and Clinton have been on air? Just because they are the 2 main candidates? Shouldn't all candidates get the same stage?

You have to have at least a 15% polling number to be invited to the debate.

14 minutes ago, VickySilver said:

I can't fathom a thinking person voting for Trump, who in my opinion has come completely unhinged. I do understand that Hilary seems a bit stiff and not necessarily likable, but Trump is erratic to say the least and still has yet to unveil any concrete plans to us poor slobs to mention being very erratic and completely off the rails with his commentary about Mexicans, Muslims, Women, etc. - how in the world has not 1% of this crap gotten him disqualified in the minds of sentient individuals. This latest bit about questioning the validity of voting and poling is yet another example of shear lunacy (and that's putting it nicely) and interesting in light of the Republican advantages gained by, ahem, articulating this very process - like Florida??

I mean really, what does he even stand for? I'm not convinced that even he knows. Quite amusing at times, and definitely not someone to be taken seriously except that he is running for president. It seemed for a while like if he could pull his act together that he would have a chance to be elected. Shooting himself repeatedly in the foot has not really helped IMO, but even more amusing is how anyone could even vote for him - based on what? If he was consistently Right Wing, that might be dislikable to some (i.e. me), but at least voters would have an idea of what he is about.

I really want somebody to point out to me what he really is for the average person in America (USA); this is something that I imagine a supporter would have to speculate on since there is nothing consistent. Loose cannon? I'd say so. Really, I've had enough of him but I guess we hopefully only have another month or so of him?? 

So, you are a Democrat Vicky.....jk, just having a little fun with your rant! :D

Edited by RLC35
spelling

Bernie's my man....OK, guilty!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, VickySilver said:

I liked Bernie too!.......

Who is Bernie voting for  ?

13.5 million views, has Hilary been naughty since her husband was in power?

8 hours ago, RLC35 said:

Ever since Clinton and the impeachment issue, our country has been bitterly divided along Party lines. Bush Jr made it worse, and Obama has led a directionless Presidency. In todays election I think most voters are voting against someone rather than for some one. I am supporting Trump. as the lesser of two evils. This has been the most unusual election in my lifetime....interesting though! :)

Bill Clinton was President of the United States for 8 years from 1993 to 2001 - and in all that time, the only line I can recall him saying was "I did not have sexual relations with that woman......Miss Lewinsky" :o   

• Like 1

Dave,

There's all kinds of "facts" that can be found on the internet...

Yet another example ..

Born in Kenya

• Like 1

7 hours ago, VickySilver said:

Both him and Ted Cruz seem better than either of the present incumbents. You have to wonder how this situation came about.  

Funny how everybody I know of did well when Billy was president - as opposed to the Republican administrations that bracketed him.

Steve Schmidt has long been involved in Republican politics and was a key strategist in Republican Senator John McCain's campaign for the presidency in 2004.  The following is his take on the current election and its implications.

Schmidt

It's all wind. All the western countries suffer from the same problem which is that as mature economies they are uncompetitive relative to the developing world. That's as true in the US as it is in Europe. That's why jobs are moved overseas and people feel the politicians don't care. It actually wouldn't matter who is in charge as the situation is outside their control, but the populist rhetoric wins through with the man in the street which is why we see Trump in the position he is at.

These pressures will continue until the developing world has mostly caught up with the west, or alternatively our living standards have dropped to meet their advancing ones, as only then will it be economically feasible to relocate a lot of manufacturing back home. That's the price you pay for demanding cheap goods.

The US is in a unique position as the World's reserve currency and has been so ever since the gold standard was dropped, but that still doesn't mean that local economies in the US are strong, just that other foreign countries have stashed their vaults full of greenbacks - China anyone? That keeps the dollar high and means jobs are exported, so in a way, what is demanded by the electorate is diametrically opposed to the rhetoric of making a country strong again, whoever the claimant is.

For the world's future problems, look east (or from a US perspective west), as China will be the key to world stability. With a sixth of the world's population and an economy reliant on exporting to the west, mass unemployment in that country or region will have huge repercussions if not controlled, with possibly a revolution. Unemployment is already a problem as I understand.

Do I have a solution on a global level? No. At a national level I can see a renewed round of competitive devaluation of currencies, but the world wouldn't stomach a 10%+ Rmb/$ devaluation, and this would further exacerbate national tensions in the US, because America would be a little less great in the aftermath.

Ultimately there is a limit to what politicians can offer in realistic terms, so the sooner electorates accept this, the earlier countries can take steps to sort out their local problems. Both Trump and Clinton are local problems.

• Like 1

I think that's it now. After last night's presidential debate, Trump is finished. He has so mishandled his public relations, that huge swathes of the US electorate are now permanently alienated from him. No doubt he will say the election was "rigged", but there you go.   

1 hour ago, 1949threepence said:

I think that's it now. After last night's presidential debate, Trump is finished. He has so mishandled his public relations, that huge swathes of the US electorate are now permanently alienated from him. No doubt he will say the election was "rigged", but there you go.   

The odds haven't changed much since the debate, Trump at 4/1 to 5/1 to win with most bookies

9 hours ago, Paulus said:

The odds haven't changed much since the debate, Trump at 4/1 to 5/1 to win with most bookies

Paddy Power has Clinton at 2/11, and Trump at 9/2. His odds aren't going to be improving anytime soon.   

On 20/10/2016 at 0:01 AM, 1949threepence said:

Paddy Power has Clinton at 2/11, and Trump at 9/2. His odds aren't going to be improving anytime soon.   

Trump currently as short as 9/4 in places following the recent vague Hilary email investigation announcements - my expectation is a cliffhanger 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Paulus said:

Trump currently as short as 9/4 in places following the recent vague Hilary email investigation announcements - my expectation is a cliffhanger 

Reagon was down 10 points in the polls, 2 weeks before the election, and went on to win by the biggest landslide ever! It ain't over till it's over! :) There is even an outside chance, with the new allegations, that Clinton will withdraw, and Biden will step in! :o

7 hours ago, RLC35 said:

Reagon was down 10 points in the polls, 2 weeks before the election, and went on to win by the biggest landslide ever! It ain't over till it's over! :) There is even an outside chance, with the new allegations, that Clinton will withdraw, and Biden will step in! :o

Was just hearing this this morning Bob, it seems s**t sticks. The Clintons have their fingers in many back pockets and just because she is a nominee shouldn't make her excluded from a proper investigation, in fact, she should be thoroughly investigated because of the position that she's trying to get in to

• Like 1

Couple of things intrigue me,

The person defending Clinton in the interview regarding the emails never once mention the email content, the illegal server or destroying of evidence, only stating they were obtained illegally and the Russians may be involved in supplying them to WikiLeaks, who subsequently had his email access blocked by Ecuadorian Embassy soon after the first leak, the same Embassy defending his rights to Freedom of speech by granting asylum from extradition to Sweden (allegations of indecent assault) and the USA (WikiLeaks charges), wonder what that cost Hillary.

I don't think how they were obtained really matters at the moment, the part that does is the fact it shows the server used to be insecure and that classified information formed part of these email exchanges

One recent release showed the Clinton Foundation has moved several $million to Qatar in the last few weeks, maybe they knew something was coming and are preparing the ground ready for a hasty retreat

I think she has benefited from executive privileges claimed by Bill during his terms, and Obama is too busy thinking of his future to get involved

• Like 2

Just whence you all thought all was lost HRH QEII has graciously offered to restore her realm to the United States:

http://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/queen-offers-to-restore-british-rule-over-united-states

Thank you Dear Beloved Queen, for rescuing us from our miserous political twits.  Thanks also for offering to kindly pass over Charles in our realm and instead let the throne to Prince William.

VIVAT REGINA - LONG LIVE THE QUEEN, of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and North America!

48 minutes ago, scottishmoney said:

Just whence you all thought all was lost HRH QEII has graciously offered to restore her realm to the United States:

http://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/queen-offers-to-restore-british-rule-over-united-states

Thank you Dear Beloved Queen, for rescuing us from our miserous political twits.  Thanks also for offering to kindly pass over Charles in our realm and instead let the throne to Prince William.

VIVAT REGINA - LONG LIVE THE QUEEN, of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and North America!

Sounds like a plan, after hearing that Trump has caught up in the polls it might not be as bad as the Americans think

Edited by azda