British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Martinminerva

Royal Mint 2015 12-sided one pound trial piece.

ive noticed there are presently three or four for sale on ebay, 2017 design but dated 2016.are these test examples like the trial coin dated 2015?

and are they legal to sell, £250 is the present bid on the one nearest to end.

21 hours ago, headsortails said:

ive noticed there are presently three or four for sale on ebay, 2017 design but dated 2016.are these test examples like the trial coin dated 2015?

and are they legal to sell, £250 is the present bid on the one nearest to end.

I've seen some advance releases of the finished article on e bay, but no more trial pieces. Do you have a link to one of them? 

Edited by 1949threepence
typo

they're simple to find,ebay/search one pound coin/filter via highest price.

one went through today at approximately 10.30 am and sold for £162.57

the one with a £240 bid on it was pulled i think.

I have just came across an article written in the beginning of February saying that the Royal mint has made around 200,000 of these things so far. 

"Scott Kuperus, from The Royal Mint, said: “To date The Royal Mint has issued over 200,000 trial samples of the new 12-sided £1 coin to industry stakeholders, for the purposes of calibrating or upgrading coin handling equipment ahead of the coin’s introduction in March 2017.

“The trial pieces are marked with the word ‘trial’, do not have legal tender status, and have no redeemable value.”"

https://www.thesun.co.uk/living/2770072/new-12-sided-trial-1-coins-already-selling-for-200-on-ebay-but-you-cant-spend-them-in-the-shops/

16 hours ago, Sword said:

I have just came across an article written in the beginning of February saying that the Royal mint has made around 200,000 of these things so far. 

"Scott Kuperus, from The Royal Mint, said: “To date The Royal Mint has issued over 200,000 trial samples of the new 12-sided £1 coin to industry stakeholders, for the purposes of calibrating or upgrading coin handling equipment ahead of the coin’s introduction in March 2017.

“The trial pieces are marked with the word ‘trial’, do not have legal tender status, and have no redeemable value.”"

https://www.thesun.co.uk/living/2770072/new-12-sided-trial-1-coins-already-selling-for-200-on-ebay-but-you-cant-spend-them-in-the-shops/

but are all 200,000 of the coins of the trial type or is that number inclusive of the twelve sided 2016 example and is the 2016 coin going to be realised along with the 2017 coin in march?

what we really need to know also is how Meany of the two individual trial types were never returned.

9 hours ago, headsortails said:

what we really need to know also is how Meany of the two individual trial types were never returned.

Might be there was no requirement for returning them. Just the stipulation that they are not spent or sold. 

I wouldn't there's a guy on ebay offering them for £3.99&79p P&P to be posted within 30 days of purchase,that's the 2016 twelve sided coin not the 2015 trial.

could be A rip off but in for a penny and all that,not much to lose.

it always pays to back up with a Chinese copy,they fetch just as much.

the coin now on offer by the mint has a difference,a small cross at the base so it may make it a 1 of only ten thousand,interest.

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images__L_UK16D2BU_05.jpg

apparently more than 500 million 2016 twelve sided have been stamped,now being circulated,so that answers that.

Guest Kingsman
On 21/10/2016 at 11:02 AM, Paddy said:

In case anyone is interested, this is an extract of the RM 1994 flyer on the Royal Mint trials at the time, showing both styles of £2 being considered and also options on the 50p. If anyone would like to see the whole document, please let me know.

Royal Mint Trial doc0001.jpg

Hey could you send me the flyer - would love to see and read the full document 

kingsbookshop@hotmail.com

thanks in advance ! 

• Like 1

OK - scans sent on to Kingsman. Anyone else want copies now I have them all to hand?