British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Martinminerva

Royal Mint 2015 12-sided one pound trial piece.

Think its more to do with the coin not being in circulation.

Once the original coin is being used nobody is probably bothered.

47 minutes ago, Rob said:

The key to all this is the fact that they are going to introduce coins to the precise specification of the trials. All the previous patterns and trials were markedly different to the adopted designs. Even the 1994 £2 is not circulating, so an irrelevance. The ability to drop hundreds of dud pounds into an automatic change counting machine is a different matter

It states there will be some sort of change as the sample coin doesn't feature the final design (20)

image.jpg.5b47384d1c19b25f5ea4607befefda85.jpg

Edited by azda

48 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Very good points.

It would be interesting to know how many organisations received the pieces, and under what written terms. You will probably get situations where the coins are left lying around in the organisations they've been sent to, and members of staff working there, just pick them up and walk off with them.   

Here is the OP from the CCF forum and how she came across hers

Hi everyone :)

I came across this today, I've done a bit of research and I know its the new £1 coin planned to be introduced 2017 but I couldn't find anything saying if it was rare or not.

I work in a cash office and I know a lot of the rare and collectable coins but never in 14 years have I seen a trial piece! Just wondering if anyone here knew anything about it.

Thanks

And again, same OP

I saw the ones that's been on eBay in the past and one on preloved for £999......I actually laughed when I saw that one lol :)

I doubt it's worth anything near those amounts, I was just curious to it's rarity as I've never come across a trial coin before.

And again

I found another one today! It was in with a bag of 50p's. It seems strange to find two a few days apart in the same cash office so I'm guessing they're not that rare. 

Still swapped it for a £1 out of my purse, they're nice coin to have :)

• Like 2

The cynic in me says that the RM wants them back so that in due course they can then sell them themselves in a nice flashy card wallet and for a highly inflated price.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, DaveG38 said:

The cynic in me says that the RM wants them back so that in due course they can then sell them themselves in a nice flashy card wallet and for a highly inflated price.

You may well be correct there Dave

45 minutes ago, DaveG38 said:

Nail...head. :D

RM wouldn't do that.

But they probably would run off a few thousand and then put them in nice flashy wallets.

27 minutes ago, bagerap said:

RM wouldn't do that.

But they probably would run off a few thousand and then put them in nice flashy wallets.

Yep, they probably wouldn't use the retturned ones with the scratches, marks and carbon spots. 

3 hours ago, azda said:

Here is the OP from the CCF forum and how she came across hers

Hi everyone :)

I came across this today, I've done a bit of research and I know its the new £1 coin planned to be introduced 2017 but I couldn't find anything saying if it was rare or not.

I work in a cash office and I know a lot of the rare and collectable coins but never in 14 years have I seen a trial piece! Just wondering if anyone here knew anything about it.

Thanks

And again, same OP

I saw the ones that's been on eBay in the past and one on preloved for £999......I actually laughed when I saw that one lol :)

I doubt it's worth anything near those amounts, I was just curious to it's rarity as I've never come across a trial coin before.

And again

I found another one today! It was in with a bag of 50p's. It seems strange to find two a few days apart in the same cash office so I'm guessing they're not that rare. 

Still swapped it for a £1 out of my purse, they're nice coin to have :)

I found one today in a bag of 50ps.........what a load of TRIPE :lol:

36 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

I found one today in a bag of 50ps.........what a load of TRIPE :lol:

Why then put £1 in a bag of 50ps ? obviously Blks,

The New Trial represents a current legal Tender coin, the other Trials are no longer legal Tender, they are representative of coinage that has been withdrawn so shouldn't be an issue, the £2 Trial was issued as a collectable by the RM

41 minutes ago, Chingford said:

The New Trial represents a current legal Tender coin, the other Trials are no longer legal Tender, they are representative of coinage that has been withdrawn so shouldn't be an issue, the £2 Trial was issued as a collectable by the RM

The bi-metallic £2 coin was issued in packs - the single metal version was not. That is the one that concerns me. (Mentioned on page 71 of Chris's excellent book on Decimal coins.)

11 minutes ago, Paddy said:

The bi-metallic £2 coin was issued in packs - the single metal version was not. That is the one that concerns me. (Mentioned on page 71 of Chris's excellent book on Decimal coins.)

The £2 Trial were officially released by the RM as a commemorative, the pack shows the Trial in four stages including the finished coin, the £1 Trial in question are being marketed by others trusted the coins to test equipment, who have decided to profit from them

The Coin mentioned in Chris's book marked Trial both sides would probably be treated the same as the £1 Trial and be recalled as it would have been gained in similar circumstances

Edited by Chingford
new info

20 minutes ago, Chingford said:

The £2 Trial were officially released by the RM as a commemorative, the pack shows the Trial in four stages including the finished coin, the £1 Trial in question are being marketed by others trusted the coins to test equipment, who have decided to profit from them

The Coin mentioned in Chris's book marked Trial both sides would probably be treated the same as the £1 Trial and be recalled as it would have been gained in similar circumstances

Yes - I know all that - I have both the bimetallic RM set showing construction, and the single metal trial of the same year. My point is, if the latter can be recalled, where does it end? There have been many trial coins over the last 200 years or more. In particular there were 50p trials in the same year (1994) as mentioned on page 33 in Chris's book. Are these also now ilegal in private hands? Under what law (if any) could the RM demand them back?

BTW, I contacted the RM when I first obtained the single metal version and they kindly sent me literature pertaining to the trials in 1994 for both 50p and £2 coins. It includes pictures of both varieties of the trial 50p and £2 coins - if Chris P is watching, would you be interested in copies for your future publications?

3 hours ago, bagerap said:

RM wouldn't do that.

Possibly that as well, although they do currently have a product that includes an over-hyped price for a worn 1940s sixpence. It comes in flashy packaging too, so they aren't above selling on worn old tat!

1 hour ago, Paddy said:

Yes - I know all that - I have both the bimetallic RM set showing construction, and the single metal trial of the same year. My point is, if the latter can be recalled, where does it end? There have been many trial coins over the last 200 years or more. In particular there were 50p trials in the same year (1994) as mentioned on page 33 in Chris's book. Are these also now ilegal in private hands? Under what law (if any) could the RM demand them back?

BTW, I contacted the RM when I first obtained the single metal version and they kindly sent me literature pertaining to the trials in 1994 for both 50p and £2 coins. It includes pictures of both varieties of the trial 50p and £2 coins - if Chris P is watching, would you be interested in copies for your future publications?

When Montagu sold his Geo. I onwards in 1888, the sale contained most of the Victorian decimal patterns along with all the proofs and private patterns.

It is clear that the law wouldn't act retrospectively, as any attempt to reclaim these could have been made on numerous occasions, not least the Saward collection, which was sold in 1910 and contained a large number of patterns and proofs. He was a long standing employee of the mint.

I'm sure most of us have an example or two of items that would fall into this category, but I wouldn't be losing any sleep over it.

what about royal mint internal money.. is that legal to own outside the mint?

1 hour ago, scott said:

what about royal mint internal money.. is that legal to own outside the mint?

I surely hope so, as I sold quite a bit a few years ago. At least, that's what I think it was.

4542-tile_zpswdebz3fv.jpg

I need to look for the full image file

In case anyone is interested, this is an extract of the RM 1994 flyer on the Royal Mint trials at the time, showing both styles of £2 being considered and also options on the 50p. If anyone would like to see the whole document, please let me know.

Royal Mint Trial doc0001.jpg

22 hours ago, Paddy said:

If it is a criminal matter - what law has been broken?

Presumably "handling stolen goods"

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Nutsaboutcoins said:

Presumably "handling stolen goods"

I would think you cant sell what you dont own and in this case had to be returned.

Its like any back to back unless you have the authority to sell on someone elses behalf your an agent etc you cant just sell something that does not belong to you :)

Edited by PWA 1967
  • Like 1

I must be a bit dim, but I thought that these new pounds were meant to be 12 sided. The examples shown seem to be round, with twelve straight bits on the inside of the rim.

6 minutes ago, AardHawk said:

I must be a bit dim, but I thought that these new pounds were meant to be 12 sided. The examples shown seem to be round, with twelve straight bits on the inside of the rim.

No you're not wrong, they're definitely 12 sided. Which examples are you referring to?

Like the 50p & 20p I think the "straight" sides are actually curved, with the inner lines there to accentuate the 12 sided look. 

Theres a lot of disbelief on how the 2015 trial piece of the new £1 coin came to be in the posession of people who sold them on ebay, but quite incredibly I have one that I found on the street whilst taking my son to school. I didnt even know what a trial piece was until I found out about it on this website.

Not a coin collecter myself, but an i teresting find.