British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Martinminerva

Royal Mint 2015 12-sided one pound trial piece.

2 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

The RM acted ultra quickly. Credit to them for that. 

Yes, but funny when i asked DNW about it they left it and no email reply. If someone had of bought that it could have been an expensive learning curve, whoever consigned it will be p****d off as well i bet, DNW will have to send it to the mint

Edited by azda

10 minutes ago, azda said:

Yes, but funny when i asked DNW about it they left it and no email reply. If someone had of bought that it could have been an expensive learning curve, whoever consigned it will be p****d off as well i bet, DNW will have to send it to the mint

Well that just typifies many business concerns. They will ignore the ordinary punter's query, regardless of its validity, probably without even a check. Only choosing to act immediately, on the diktat of a huge government office. 

As you say, the coin itself will probably be returned to the Royal MInt by DNW, with no recompense for the vendor. 

Sorry but i am a bit thick <_<

Are they saying one can never be sold even in a few years.

There are lots of trials being sold now and previously of other years DNW sold a  20p one not long ago....from memory ?.

Just now, PWA 1967 said:

There are lots of trials being sold now and previously of other years DNW sold a  20p one not long ago....from memory ?.

Yes, there will be a lot of confusion about this now, DNW and other auction houses sell various die trials, but only an assumption, they might not want it out just now incase some Chinese businessmen buy one and have a year to perfect their dies?

12 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Funnily enough, I was just thinking the same, Pete. I know that trial coins from the past are bought and sold without a problem. It might be worth hanging onto any of these new £1 trial pieces, that are held privately, until the dust settles and the RM isn't bothered any more. Not sure when that will be. 

Edited by 1949threepence
added a bit for clarity

5 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Again Human greed ...got a coin for nothing and try to sell it for £400-600....... i am glad they pulled it :P

Just now, PWA 1967 said:

Again Human greed ...got a coin for nothing and try to sell it for £400-600....... i am glad they pulled it :P

:lol:

7 minutes ago, azda said:

Yes, there will be a lot of confusion about this now, DNW and other auction houses sell various die trials, but only an assumption, they might not want it out just now incase some Chinese businessmen buy one and have a year to perfect their dies?

I think the main reason is to counteract any propective private issues. If they hadn't acted, you could have had the counterfeits circulating on the street before the real thing. :blink:

It can't be a policy of never letting out the trial pieces because there are the 1994 £2 sets issued by themselves.

The patterns must have been ok to release because they have been in private hands pretty much since made with some but not all examples in the RM museum.

Edited by Rob

6 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

It's a sign of the times. Everybody is trying to maximise the value of the junk in their house. A dozen pennies and halfpennies found will result in a call to a dealer. They also cost the owner nothing. 10 minutes ago I was offered a WWF 50p - third rarest 50p, super rare etc. I referred him to eBay as the place with the largest wallets attached to the least common sense, explaining to him that rare in Daily Mail terms is usually a limited edition of millions.

18 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Yes - even so, they will probably be scarce. I wouldn't mind betting that if most of the trial pieces out there are returned to the RM, it'll put a huge premium on those remaining. I'd quite like one myself, not for profit, but to own.   

Well if its ok ...i think i better get my bally out :lol:

These were sent out in trust as a gesture to help.

Pete.

Not sure if Ebay have pulled them too, or just they are all sold. I can't find any still for sale there at the moment...

13 minutes ago, Paddy said:

Not sure if Ebay have pulled them too, or just they are all sold. I can't find any still for sale there at the moment...

As it's now illegal to sell them, I doubt anybody will find one.

Those that do have one or more, will probably keep them for the time being.

No idea how many were actually struck for the various trials.  

Edited by 1949threepence

9 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Maybe Mike has just bought them all :o

lol :P - the only one I've seen for sale was that DNW specimen (now withdrawn)  

Unfortunately the fact its illegal to own one just bumps the price up.

They will appear and think ALI is already on it :(

1 minute ago, 1949threepence said:

As it's now illegal to sell them, I doubt anybody will now find one.

Those that do have one or more, will probably keep them for now.

No idea how many were actually struck for the various trials.  

I wonder where this leaves all the previous trial coins produced by the Royal Mint? I have the single colour 1994 £2 coin, which was never issued for sale - I presume I would run into the same problems selling it? (The bi-metallic one is OK as the RM sold it in sets.)

10 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Unfortunately the fact its illegal to own one just bumps the price up.

They will appear and think ALI is already on it :(

Who is this ALI you speak of?

Just now, Paddy said:

I wonder where this leaves all the previous trial coins produced by the Royal Mint? I have the single colour 1994 £2 coin, which was never issued for sale - I presume I would run into the same problems selling it? (The bi-metallic one is OK as the RM sold it in sets.)

Paddy i suggest you dont answer your door in the next half hour when they knock ;)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Paddy said:

Not sure. Might be worth contacting the RM again for clarification.

Obviously there are trial pieces going back to Victorian times and before, which have always been bought and sold without an issue arising. 

5 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Who is this ALI you speak of?

Ali will have them for sale by the weekend 50p each or twenty for £15.

Thats not me working it out wrong but how Ali sells them :wacko:

1 minute ago, 1949threepence said:

Not sure. Might be worth contacting the RM again for clarification.

Obviously there are trial pieces going back to Victorian times and before, which have always been bought and sold without an issue arising. 

Yes - I was wondering where all the much older trial coins are left if this one is now deemed illegal to sell.

Would also be interesting to hear a lawyer's point of view. Is it illegal to sell from a criminal or civil point of view? If the latter (as I suspect) then the only person breaking the law would be the one who was issued the coin by the RM and then failed to return it. There is no contract between the RM and anyone else who might have come across one (in change for example).

If it is a criminal matter - what law has been broken?

The key to all this is the fact that they are going to introduce coins to the precise specification of the trials. All the previous patterns and trials were markedly different to the adopted designs. Even the 1994 £2 is not circulating, so an irrelevance. The ability to drop hundreds of dud pounds into an automatic change counting machine is a different matter

9 minutes ago, Paddy said:

Yes - I was wondering where all the much older trial coins are left if this one is now deemed illegal to sell.

Would also be interesting to hear a lawyer's point of view. Is it illegal to sell from a criminal or civil point of view? If the latter (as I suspect) then the only person breaking the law would be the one who was issued the coin by the RM and then failed to return it. There is no contract between the RM and anyone else who might have come across one (in change for example).

If it is a criminal matter - what law has been broken?

Very good points.

It would be interesting to know how many organisations received the pieces, and under what written terms. You will probably get situations where the coins are left lying around in the organisations they've been sent to, and members of staff working there, just pick them up and walk off with them.   

2 minutes ago, Rob said:

The key to all this is the fact that they are going to introduce coins to the precise specification of the trials. All the previous patterns and trials were markedly different to the adopted designs. Even the 1994 £2 is not circulating, so an irrelevance. The ability to drop hundreds of dud pounds into an automatic change counting machine is a different matter

Fair point - most of the other trial coins that are collected are for coins thaat never entered circulation in that format. Still not sure what "law" they can apply though.