British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Martinminerva

Royal Mint 2015 12-sided one pound trial piece.

Ok - so what's the story behind these? They have been cropping up now on eBay and the like for a month or so, selling in the £200 region, but often with curious statements like "found in my change" or "won in a fruit machine" which makes me suspicious. They look good and 'genuine', but I haven't been able to find any information about them on the net.  Where are they originating from? How many are there? Are the Royal Mint selling them off, but if so, how and where? Is there another source?? Or are they very clever replicas/copies?  If the latter, then perhaps the real ones to be issued next year are not so counterfeit-proof after all !?

image.jpg

They look like total fakes to me.

Also, whoever is saying they're turning up in change or won in a fruit machine, is manifestly lying through their teeth. None have yet been released for circulation, and they probably wouldn't fit an unadapted slot machine anyway.

They are being released for circulation in March 2017 - link    

Here's a few other photos of similar pieces culled from eBay in better resolution. They do seem very believable, especially the obverse with the micro lettering of ONE POUND in the sloping angles, which I have read about somewhere is going to be a security feature.

Has anyone on the forum got / bought one, or can offer further information? I find it curious these have started appearing but there is nothing about them on the net...

All I have seen is George Osbourne (remember him?!) holding a trial piece up for the cameras when the forthcoming new shape pound was first announced in the press a couple of years ago, and it does look like the same design.

I am very suspicious that these may not be the real deal, but intrigued at the same time.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Why not just send the picture to the royal mint and ask them ?

Alternatively just phone as sure they will know.

I would of thought there must be some trials that were sent to possibly companies who manufacture machines to ensure they work.....only a guess.

And if you do please let us know :)

Alternatively if your selling them i will give you 99p for one :o

3 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

Why not just send the picture to the royal mint and ask them ?

Alternatively just phone as sure they will know.

I would of thought there must be some trials that were sent to possibly companies who manufacture machines to ensure they work.....only a guess.

Think I am now getting somewhere: have been directed to this part of the Royal Mint website (below).

These would appear to be the samples issued to the coin operated equipment industry so as to prepare for the changeover. But they are not being released to mere mortals, and reference to "terms and conditions" makes me think that they don't want them getting out to the general public, though clearly they are! 

Anyone on here actually got one? I wouldn't mind one just as a curiosity!

image.jpg

• Like 1

Well I take back what I said originally, and give you this from the next DNW coin auction catalogue B) 

19 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Well I take back what I said originally, and give you this from the next DNW coin auction catalogue B) 

Ebay are currently pulling these from auctions at the request of the Royal Mint, the mint are stating that they are Government property. I have sent a request to DNW regarding the one they have in sale and asking if the Trial strike they are selling can be legally sold, no answer as yet, there is a thread on the CCF forum about one of these, one guy has to send his back that he bought from ebay and has only a certain time to do so

Edited by azda

Silly money for a silly coin:blink:

2 minutes ago, azda said:

Ebay are currently pulling these from auctions at the request of the Royal Mint, the mint are stating that they are Government property. I have sent a request to DNW regarding the one they have in sale and asking if the Trial strike they are selling can be legally sold, no answer as yet, there is a thread on the CCF forum about one of these, one guy has to send his back that he bought from ebay and has only a certain time to do so

Pull the other one Dave, ebay don't remove listings :ph34r:

Just now, Nordle11 said:

Pull the other one Dave, ebay don't remove listings :ph34r:

Apparently they do when the name government is mentioned, but not if you mention fake

12 minutes ago, azda said:

Ebay are currently pulling these from auctions at the request of the Royal Mint, the mint are stating that they are Government property. I have sent a request to DNW regarding the one they have in sale and asking if the Trial strike they are selling can be legally sold, no answer as yet

Interesting. Do you have anything from the Royal Mint confirming this? 

Just now, azda said:

Apparently they do when the name government is mentioned, but not if you mention fake

Go figure lol. 

5 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Interesting. Do you have anything from the Royal Mint confirming this? 

Just what i'm reading on the CCF website at the minute, one guy saying his work colleague was told to send it back to the RM and within a certain timeframe 

http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=270024

Edited by azda

DNW are attending the London coin fair on the 5th Nov, if there's no email reply regarding the one they have for sale maybe someone can ask them directly if anyone is going

Edited by azda

Just for good measure I've sent the Royal Mint an e mail, together with the link to the item in the DNW auction, asking a) if it's genuine and b ) if it's OK to be selling them.

I say an e mail, but it was actually one of those irritating message facilities. 

Will post on here when I get a reply.

Crikey :o I never expected to get a reply from the RM this quick, but here's my question:-

Comment: Hi - Are the trial bi metallic £1 coins shown in the forthcoming DNW auction genuine, and if so, is it legal to sell them - here's the web address taking you directly to the item in question - https://www.dnw.co.uk/auctions/catalogue/lot.php?auction_id=443&lot_id=1111&search=1

and here's their answer:- 

----- Original Message -----
To: 
Sent: Wednesday, October 19, 2016 4:43 PM
Subject: RE: E-mail Submission from www.royalmint.com

Thank you for your email

The coin illustrated is a trial coin and should not be sold. Thank you for bringing this to our attention

Kind Regards

Customer Services

So there you have it chaps. Dave's informant was spot on. Shouldn't be sold.

ETA: Not sure why the time of the e mail is showing as 4.43pm, when it should be 9.43pm? Or maybe it's correct, and they replied almost immediately, as I doubt there'd be any staff on duty this late. I'd only just checked my e mails, so it was probably sitting there for hours, unread.  

Edited by 1949threepence
  • Like 2

Wow, and whoever wrote it doesn't sound a happy bunny either. No doubt it will be removed from the DNW sale shortly

• Like 1

The RM work 24/7, I did the tour Monday this week, and it was mentioned

The trial coins are only usually issued to vending machine companies and the Blind Institutes for testing and acceptance, therefore any being sold to the Public are technically stolen property

• Like 1

but they have already minted the actual coins (dated 2016) as well.

5 hours ago, scott said:

but they have already minted the actual coins (dated 2016) as well.

Ready for release in March 2017.

The coin pictured here is 2015. Looks like DNW have pulled it, saw it earlier this morning but seems to be gone now

Edited by azda

3 hours ago, azda said:

The coin pictured here is 2015. Looks like DNW have pulled it, saw it earlier this morning but seems to be gone now

Has disappeared from "My Cabinet", where I'd deliberately saved it last night to see when it went. So yes, pulled.  

There we go

Screenshot 2016-10-20 14.09.36.png

The RM acted ultra quickly. Credit to them for that.