British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
copper123

1851 D over D farthing ? big price

eBay item number:
Seller assumes all responsibility for this listing.
Anyone know why this coin has reached the dizzy hights of £175 please? Its still got three days to go as well
The only reason would I think be if its a D over D  , but I cannot see it from the scan

Copper, That farthing is not a D over D. Maybe the people bidding have never seen one, and think it is...but it is not. I have a pic of a really nice one I sold about 4 years ago, I'll see if I can find a pic of it.

12 minutes ago, RLC35 said:

Copper, That farthing is not a D over D. Maybe the people bidding have never seen one, and think it is...but it is not. I have a pic of a really nice one I sold about 4 years ago, I'll see if I can find a pic of it.

Thi is it. It now resides in the Isle of Man

1851-Obv2b - BobC (800x573).jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RLC35 said:

Thi is it. It now resides in the Isle of Man

1851-Obv2b - BobC (800x573).jpg

• Like 1

Just now, copper123 said:

For tax purposes I presume LOL

• Like 1

1 hour ago, copper123 said:

I guy I sold it to is a tax accountant, so that may well be! Ha,Ha!

I don't have a clue either...however interesting to note that on many coins at 99p there are up to 5 bids by the same person. I know we may occasionally want to up the bid we place...but 5 times before anyone else bids!!

• Like 1

Doesn't this happen when the initial bidder has set a maximum bid with ebay? Any subsequent bidder will not show but the bid will increase until initial bidder's maximum is surpassed.

6 hours ago, Colin G. said:

I don't have a clue either...however interesting to note that on many coins at 99p there are up to 5 bids by the same person. I know we may occasionally want to up the bid we place...but 5 times before anyone else bids!!

I think some of us here were speaking about the practice before, I would do this in the instance that the starting bid is not 99p, so if the start price is 14.99 or something, put a couple of bids on (15, 15.10, 15.20) and when people are glancing, they'll see 3/4 bids and at 14.99. At a glance that seems like a few interested parties already, and even if it puts just one person off from looking then it's done the job.

However 99p starts it's obvious that it's the same person putting multiple bids down.

1 hour ago, Nordle11 said:

However 99p starts it's obvious that it's the same person putting multiple bids down.

Multiple bids in advance is not a sensible policy.  By doing so, you may cause yourself to pay nearer your maximum bid rather than something lower.  For example, if there was an item starting at £15 and I enter 5 bids, those bids have to adhere to eBay bid increments - therefore those bids have to be at the very least 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.  So an uncharitable fellow might see those bids and bid £18.99 knowing for certain that I'll still be the highest bidder and be £3.99 worse off into the bargain.

Edited by Nick

Just now, Nick said:

Multiple bids in advance is not a sensible policy.  By doing so, you may cause yourself to pay nearer your maximum bid rather than something lower.  For example, if there was an item starting at £15 and I enter 5 bids, those bids have to adhere to eBay bid increments - therefore those bids have to be at the very least 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.  So an uncharitable fellow might see those bids and bid £18.99 knowing for certain that I'll still be the highest bidder and be £3.99 worse off into the bargain.

Yes but that's a bit of a generalisation, for the most part it's going to be on items starting 20-30 pounds or more, and bidding multiple times does not mean paying more than I want to pay, which is the main point. Sure, I might have to pay up to the next increment (and we're talking a pound or 2 tops), but that doesn't mean it's being sold at a price I'm not happy with, as it's inside of my max.

This also assumes bids are in the increments of the minimum amount. If I would pay 100 pound for a coin and it's starting price is 15, I can put 15, 16, 17 then 100, it's not going to affect the outcome all that much if someone comes along with 20.99. It's one of those things that you can't prove though, maybe it dissuaded 10 people from having a look, maybe none. Maybe, like you say, someone came along thinking they could be smart and my own plan actually elicits a new bid!

I should add, I've done this probably only a handful of times, it's not a blanket policy that I adopt and definitely can cause problems. Especially so if the seller is willing to shill your bid.

1 hour ago, Nordle11 said:

Yes but that's a bit of a generalisation, for the most part it's going to be on items starting 20-30 pounds or more, and bidding multiple times does not mean paying more than I want to pay, which is the main point. Sure, I might have to pay up to the next increment (and we're talking a pound or 2 tops), but that doesn't mean it's being sold at a price I'm not happy with, as it's inside of my max.

This also assumes bids are in the increments of the minimum amount. If I would pay 100 pound for a coin and it's starting price is 15, I can put 15, 16, 17 then 100, it's not going to affect the outcome all that much if someone comes along with 20.99. It's one of those things that you can't prove though, maybe it dissuaded 10 people from having a look, maybe none. Maybe, like you say, someone came along thinking they could be smart and my own plan actually elicits a new bid!

It's true that you won't ever pay more than your maximum, but it could mean you would pay much nearer to it.  If I were being mean spirited, I could see your 5 bids and bid the current highest bid plus the current bid increment minus one penny and continue to do so until I've outbid your second highest bid.  Granted this wouldn't be painful in the 15, 16, 17, 100 case but does anybody actually bid like that?  But if it were 15, 25, 35, 45 then it becomes more costly.

One early low bid followed by a last minute snipe is the safest option, as long as you have a reliable reminder mechanism.

I see the coin is now up to £195 , in the past I have sold similar coins for around a £10 note , bloody anoying when its not your coin thats going for a silly price isn't it ? LOL

20 minutes ago, copper123 said:

I see the coin is now up to £195 , in the past I have sold similar coins for around a £10 note , bloody anoying when its not your coin thats going for a silly price isn't it ? LOL

Whoever wins it, is going to be sick, when they find out they have just purchased a worn 1851 farthing, at a crazy price.

dont understand either, the last 1 in the date points to a space, looking at the dies, it should be to tooth for D over sideways D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scott said:

dont understand either, the last 1 in the date points to a space, looking at the dies, it should be to tooth for D over sideways D

Scott don't tell me you have a collection of 1851 D over D farthings, please , to my mind this is the rarest victorian variety bar the 1860 copper or any proofs obviously

no, but there are plenty of resource sites that show you the pictures of them.

Well the £10 coin nearly fetched £200.00 , words fail me......................

• Like 2