British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Chris Perkins

£2 2015 Britannia die alignment error.

A new discovery, confirmed by me (I have one) and with 2 other confirmed examples known.

2015 Britannia £2 with die alignment out about 100 degrees. There must be more out there.

http://www.checkyourchange.co.uk/2015-britannia-2-incorrect-alignment/

Isn't die alignment supposed to be one of the tell tale indicators of a fake?

What ever happened to quality control at the RM?

Yes it can be, but these are real. Another has also come to light but I haven't seen it yet so can't confirm 100%. I suspect they struck a lot like this with wrong alignment.

I suspect if a coin press has been setup incorrectly for striking coins for circulation, there must be 10 of thousands if not 100 of thousands out there. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nutsaboutcoins said:

I suspect if a coin press has been setup incorrectly for striking coins for circulation, there must be 10 of thousands if not 100 of thousands out there. 

Doubtful, as there is some sort of control at the mint, even if it does seem crap judging by what they pump out

• Like 1

17 hours ago, azda said:

Doubtful, as there is some sort of control at the mint, even if it does seem crap judging by what they pump out

The presses used for circulating coins strike 750 coins a minute and their hoppers are loaded with 10 of thousands of blanks at a time, so even if it was only 1 "batch" that escaped the "meticulous" quality control it should result in a lot of affected coins. And as a pair of dies can strike up to 400,000 coins it could be a very high number.  

If the die "worked its way loose" or moved during the striking run, so it didn't affect a full batch, I would expect the rotation to vary between coins, which on the limited evidence Chris has reported doesn't seem to be the case.   

I would also agree that the die was fixed in the wrong place and didn't rotate during strikes, but when they start with new dies they'll run a few samples first to make sure this sort of thing doesn't happen, I can't see them putting in a new die pair, pressing go and just walking away. Could be that the worker picked up the first few, saw it was wrong, corrected the dies, then just chucked the couple he picked up into the pile with the rest of the 'good' ones because that seems to be the extent of 'quality control' at the RM.

Maybe he was being altruistic, knowing collectors like this sort of thing?

I would agree with Nordle statement also, they won't just throw in 400k blanks and walk away, any control would be timed, just like when they run newspaper through a printing press, it's checked every so often for errors

A friend has told me he has a 2013 £2 with the Guinea reverse which has a similar "Die Rotation" issue.

I haven't seen the coin yet, but is this a known variety?

Ian..

• Like 1

Guest Mick

I have one too. And a recent blog by change checker say they know of at least six.

On 10/7/2016 at 0:57 PM, Nutsaboutcoins said:

A friend has told me he has a 2013 £2 with the Guinea reverse which has a similar "Die Rotation" issue.

I haven't seen the coin yet, but is this a known variety?

Ian..

False Alarm!  On seeing the coin there was no die rotation.

Guest G Kimmett

I have a misaligned £2 Britannia and when I enquired a couple of months ago was told that it was probably a fake. Thankfully I still have the coin and keen to see what sort of value it has.

On 5/11/2016 at 3:43 PM, Guest G Kimmett said:

I have a misaligned £2 Britannia and when I enquired a couple of months ago was told that it was probably a fake. Thankfully I still have the coin and keen to see what sort of value it has.

Do you have a picture you can share?