British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Followed a couple of lots at St. J today:

1838 Halfcrown 1700 pounds plus 20% = 2040

1854 Shilling      4400 pounds plus 20% = 5280

What think readers?

I think the former possibly about right, with a bit of gain. The latter is close to what I had predicted & about the equivalent of the NGC64 that sold earlier in the year. 

I only bid on one lot and came second - 206. Ed.III class XVd penny of Durham ex RCB and the BNJ plate coin in Purvey's article assigning the issue to Bp. de Bury. The best(?) of few known examples, though still doesn't make VF, and went for 1400 hammer.

By and large the prices seem to be reasonable at this season's sales. There are always a few things that will fly whatever, such as the lightweight B1/1 shilling with negro's head mark at Baldwins yesterday. That made 1350 hammer against an estimate of 250-300

I was busy on the auction day, so left a bid of 160 for a James I shilling estimated at 80-100.   Logged on last night and found it was unsold - the estimate had been revised to 300-350!!  (would I have got it for 180 - 60% of low estimate?)

19 minutes ago, pokal02 said:

I was busy on the auction day, so left a bid of 160 for a James I shilling estimated at 80-100.   Logged on last night and found it was unsold - the estimate had been revised to 300-350!!  (would I have got it for 180 - 60% of low estimate?)

That happened to me a few years ago and is something I don't like. I went down for some gold lots which mostly had their estimates upped by around 1K on the day. I didn't bother bidding on them, bought one other lot and went home feeling a bit miffed. But, the person consigning is within their rights to do so just as they can withdraw the lots in advance of the sale.

On 29/09/2016 at 4:36 PM, Rob said:

I only bid on one lot and came second - 206. Ed.III class XVd penny of Durham ex RCB and the BNJ plate coin in Purvey's article assigning the issue to Bp. de Bury. The best(?) of few known examples, though still doesn't make VF, and went for 1400 hammer.

Just found out that I came second to the Fitzwilliam. Somewhat depressing really as it is yet another coin that has been saved for from the public to be locked away in a cupboard and forgotten. :(:angry: If I had known that I would have carried on bidding because god knows where I will find an acceptable example now. At least collectors pass them around amongst themselves.