British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Emperor Oli

ESC

I bought a copy of "English Silver Coinage" off eBay and it arrived today. I got it for a knockdown £2.76 plus postge. Overall, it was under a fiver! It's the newest edition in tiptop condition and I'm going to have fun flicking through it!

Well done, great bargain! :)

Well done indeed :)

Ebay can sometimes be a great asset...

Great book...I think I saw it ....Blue 1992 edition? I've got the Red 1974 edition also stumbled accross on Ebay & a similar price.....very lucky indeed.

It would be fantastic if some of the old reference books were put back into print....my wife treated me to (£125) of Peck last year (eventually from Spinks) she was sick and tired of me dragging her and the kids into every 2nd hand bookshop in an ever increasing radius.

I think there are enough pricing books on the market and something a bit deeper would be nice for the serious collector.

I eagerly await a certain Mr Cooke's "mentioned" Farthing Encyclopedia.....

With my publishing hat on, I have often thought about trying to re publish Peck, or Freeman, or a newer ESC.

Then I get put off my the massive amount of work and the fact that no one outside the 'coin world' will ever need one. I expect the reason that these books are not produced more often is that economically they simply will never sell like a Harry Potter. It's sad, but most businesses will always concentrate on what they know they can make the most money on.

If only Peck had been compiled digitally, it could then be printed off and bound at will with no risk involved for the publisher.

Peter, copy out your Peck into a Word file, go to the British Museum, get it fully updated with all the new findings then I'll publish it on demand for you!

the fact that no one outside the 'coin world' will ever need one.

Thats why its so expencieve...:(

:)

Chris

No problem....please forward or post all (by return) all the new findings and we,ve got a goer.

Although I can't promise you a timescale.

So with me and the slow progress on the Early Milled book, and you and the Re-vitalised Peck. This forums really going somewhere.

I might hang up the keys at coinpeople and move here for good! :D

Chris

No problem....please forward or post all (by return) all the new findings and we,ve got a goer.

Although I can't promise you a timescale.

No, you copy it out first, then we can approach Peck (is he still around?) and other experts for the updates!

I bought a copy of "English Silver Coinage" off eBay and it arrived today. I got it for a knockdown £2.76 plus postge. Overall, it was under a fiver! It's the newest edition in tiptop condition and I'm going to have fun flicking through it!

Lucky you - mine was £18 on eBay!

Now you can have fun disagreeing with some of his more contentious classifications as to Common, Normal, Scarce or Rare ;)

Charles Wilson Peck won the British Numismatic Society (Sandford Saltus Gold Medal)

posthumously in 1968.....

So .... if you do Mr Peck first....I will sort then sort the other experts !!!!!!!

Proper Ghost writing.

PS I have just noticed !!!!..... I think the 1838: farthing is rarer than the 1838. if you know what I mean.....well it certainly cost me more. :o

(your 2005 Rotographic book)

PS I have just noticed !!!!..... I think the 1838: farthing is rarer than the 1838. if you know what I mean.....well it certainly cost me more. :o

(your 2005 Rotographic book)

Go to www.rotographic.co.uk, find the price entry area and enter the price and grade etc, if you can.

Do for all the coins you buy if you like. The others all do.....Don't you, others!

I might hang up the keys at coinpeople and move here for good! :D

I think not!!!

We need your help keeping Rodney and Colin in line.

@Chris and Peter - I did a thing a while ago covering the types and rarities of farthings, excluding Victoria Bronze, from 1838 to 1952...i can email this word document to you if you like :)

@Chris and Peter - I did a thing a while ago covering the types and rarities of farthings, excluding Victoria Bronze, from 1838 to 1952...i can email this word document to you if you like :)

JMD,

I don't think realistically Peter and I are going to do another Peck just yet!

But I would welcome your findings for possible inclusion in the CCGB2006

But I would welcome your findings for possible inclusion in the CCGB2006

Sure :) ...there are many types that you have missed :)

Oh yeah, regarding CCGB2006, it says in the 2005 one that minor varieties of the 1881H farthing exist, and there will be a full listing in the 2006 edition. Can anyone tell me what they are (before 2006 :D )?

There's another ending in about four days if you check his other items. I imagine it will go for around the same price.

I've added the other one to my ebay :)...I suppose that it is allways handy to have a guide like that :)

F J Jeffery & son ltd have a copy of the ESC 1974 edition on their January list.(its the red cover edition that I've got)

I don't know the condition :huh: but its priced at £3.50 + £1.00 P & P....looks like a bargain.

Good Luck