British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

1949threepence

DNW live bidding - a great listen!

I saw Jaggys post but nothing else, time was pushing on though and I had to get out the door for work

No, had to drop my son off at school as we are on a 5 hr time difference from GMT. I want to try the chat out, maybe on the weekend. Any highlights?

Just got home from work where I was unfortunately delayed. But found that I was successful with 2 of my 3 bids.

Got lots 969, the F22 and lot 1423, the F32, at £130 & £400 respectively.

Failed on lot 1422, the F18. 

Came second on the only thing I was interested in :(

6 minutes ago, Rob said:

Came second on the only thing I was interested in :(

I didn't even come second in the one I wanted :( 

I got the 1889 penny, and the F18 (sorry Mike). The latter has the potential to be a nice coin once the thick old lacquer is removed, the surfaces are fine and should tone quite quickly. Will post before/ after pics in due course. The 1889 is one of the best I have seen.

The 1911 Gouby x shot off of course, I only got one bid in. It is one of those you hope to find unrecognized at a bargain price, so I will keep on dreaming!

Jerry

10 minutes ago, jelida said:

I got the 1889 penny, and the F18 (sorry Mike). The latter has the potential to be a nice coin once the thick old lacquer is removed, the surfaces are fine and should tone quite quickly. Will post before/ after pics in due course. The 1889 is one of the best I have seen.

The 1911 Gouby x shot off of course, I only got one bid in. It is one of those you hope to find unrecognized at a bargain price, so I will keep on dreaming!

Jerry

No worries, Jerry & well done B) Two out of three I regard as a success. Besides which the F32 was my main target. Will look forward to your pics, and will post mine as soon as I receive the coins.

Got the James II sixpence listed as 1686 ESC 773, I think it is 1686 - 6 over 6 & 8 over 6 - ESC774

U79Rta.jpg

• Like 1

I bought the 1871 penny for a hammer price of £1,700. I've been in the market for a high grade specimen for quite some time, but this is the first time that I've seen a combination of condition attributes so pleasing to my sense of esthetic values. I'm glad to hear that Vicky agreed with my assessment of this coin's virtues.

BP1871 - Head.jpg

BP1871 - Tail.jpg

• Like 7

Re: the 1871 - £800 to £1000 was an incredibly low estimate for a coin of such quality. Which is basically consistent with all we have said about their estimates being on the low side, and more often than not, being surpassed, sometimes by many orders of magnitude.    

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Re: the 1871 - £800 to £1000 was an incredibly low estimate for a coin of such quality. Which is basically consistent with all we have said about their estimates being on the low side, and more often than not, being surpassed, sometimes by many orders of magnitude.    

Indeed! My 'win' was £400 over the high estimate; which I expected. Fortunately, it was under what I expected, and was willing, to pay.

1 hour ago, 1949threepence said:

They have to be low to get competitive bidding. As long as the price to be paid offers the chance of someone to make a few quid, you will have multiple interested parties. Set them too high and your bidder will be the person who is actively seeking an example and is willing to pay book price.The alternative to low estimates is to set them at retail and hope. You see it time and time again at Baldwins where the estimate is about retail price, the coin opens at 20% below (which equates to low estimate once the juice is added) and there is usually one bidder only. The same could be said for the St.James's sale. The estimates in this case being OTT in a quite a few instances (highlighted elsewhere on this forum), but it only requires one person to bid and commission has been made. If the vendor puts a high reserve on it, unless there are no sellers' fees, he will have to pay a fee for the unsolds, so money is still made.

55 minutes ago, jaggy said:

Indeed! My 'win' was £400 over the high estimate; which I expected. Fortunately, it was under what I expected, and was willing, to pay.

56 minutes ago, jaggy said:

Superlative coin, Jaggy. 

41 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Who bought the Gouby X :)

Don't know, Pete. But if you listened in to the auction audio, it was very apparent that there were many internet global buyers from the USA principally, but also from Russia, Japan and even China. So who knows where it ended up - although hopefully with a forum member. 

Cathrine, good work there on the 1871. I think this illustrates the value of being there in-person, so doubly good really. This coin reminds me from the pics, of the Rt. Honorable Gerald Jackson's pennies from this era.

12 hours ago, cathrine said:

I bought the 1871 penny for a hammer price of £1,700. I've been in the market for a high grade specimen for quite some time, but this is the first time that I've seen a combination of condition attributes so pleasing to my sense of esthetic values. I'm glad to hear that Vicky agreed with my assessment of this coin's virtues.

BP1871 - Head.jpg

BP1871 - Tail.jpg

Is that ghosting by Victorias throat or am I seeing 2 scratches? Lovely coin otherwise

2 minutes ago, azda said:

Is that ghosting by Victorias throat or am I seeing 2 scratches? Lovely coin otherwise

Looks like a die clash to me. Top of Britannia's legs?

Just now, mrbadexample said:

Possibly......

4 minutes ago, azda said:

It's a die clash, quite a few of the bun heads have it in varying degrees.

15 hours ago, jaggy said:

Got the James II sixpence listed as 1686 ESC 773, I think it is 1686 - 6 over 6 & 8 over 6 - ESC774

U79Rta.jpg

That's a nice one Jaggy, these are scarce in these grades and have seen EFs selling at £1100 or there abouts, how much was this one?

55 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

53 minutes ago, Nordle11 said:

It's a die clash, quite a few of the bun heads have it in varying degrees.

I would definitely agree with die clash rather than ghosting. There is evidence of die clashing on both the obverse and reverse on that 1871. The area by the Queen's throat, is possibly one of the most frequent points for die clashing to show on buns, in this case the reversed image of Britannia's leg. It is, of course, extremely common, so doesn't really detract. 

Edited by 1949threepence

Looks like a die clash, with almost a 20 degree rotation between obverse and reverse.

1871-1D_zpsmalnfj4j.jpg

• Like 3

Yes, the folds of Britannia's dress often appear near Victoria's neck, producing the effect known as "crow's foot", and is seen on many bun pennies as Mike says.

Beautiful penny. :wub:

Jerry