British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

1949threepence

DNW live bidding - a great listen!

On 9/21/2016 at 2:50 PM, SWANNY said:

That's not good to hear , there are some items I want that go on sale tomorrow :unsure:

@SWANNY did you get them, or any of them?

Amazing coin Cath.

did not get a single coin , all went above my set limits

6 hours ago, azda said:

That's a nice one Jaggy, these are scarce in these grades and have seen EFs selling at £1100 or there abouts, how much was this one?

£1900 Hammer. 

8 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

Thats a good picture to explain Nick.

It certainly is. Even though I suggested a die clash I couldn't quite make it fit, but the rotation explains it nicely. :)

11 hours ago, Nick said:

Looks like a die clash, with almost a 20 degree rotation between obverse and reverse.

1871-1D_zpsmalnfj4j.jpg

That's informative. You rarely see pennies or anything else with that amount of rotation, which suggests that the top die possibly worked loose and fell out to produce the clash rather than it being a simple case of no blank between the dies but the equipment otherwise functioning normally.

2 hours ago, Rob said:

That's informative. You rarely see pennies or anything else with that amount of rotation, which suggests that the top die possibly worked loose and fell out to produce the clash rather than it being a simple case of no blank between the dies but the equipment otherwise functioning normally.

Quite a while ago I did a small survey (sample size 65) of Victoria YH shillings looking at die axis rotation.  The results were (roughly) normally distributed about a notional zero rotation with the range being approximately +/- 15 degrees.  Histogram as below.

histogram_zpshi1oeml2.jpg

• Like 1

Do you have any idea of the rotational play in the locating parts? Anything from the RM museum for example on this? I can see +/- 5 being achieved just on basic tolerances, but 30 degrees or more play suggests other factors come into play. Is there any indication of the collar opening during use on those with large offsets?

deleted

Edited by 1949threepence
solved the problem !!!

8 hours ago, Rob said:

Do you have any idea of the rotational play in the locating parts? Anything from the RM museum for example on this? I can see +/- 5 being achieved just on basic tolerances, but 30 degrees or more play suggests other factors come into play. Is there any indication of the collar opening during use on those with large offsets?

I don't know how the rotation occurs.  If it were possible for the dies to rotate during use, I would expect to see examples of die clashes with many imprints of the opposite die, but I think 3 or 4 is the maximum I've seen.  There is nothing obvious on the examples with the largest rotations to suggest that the collar has opened.  Here is an image of the shilling with the largest rotation (+27 degrees).

SH185920_zpst0m8vhia.jpg

13 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

What have I miscalculated, or failed to take into account 

I have seen before on DNW that a positive account balance has remained (incorrectly) after a previous transaction.  Thus when you next receive an amount due, that previous balance is also included in the total.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nick said:

I have seen before on DNW that a positive account balance has remained (incorrectly) after a previous transaction.  Thus when you next receive an amount due, that previous balance is also included in the total.

Cheers Nick, although I think what I failed to take into account was the postage cost of the two books I won, one of which is a Peck. I didn't previously have an account with DNW, so there won't be any previous amount wrongly carried forward. 

So used to just the few pounds for the special delivery of one or two coins, that I never initially thought about the cost of posting heavy items. 

25 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

So used to just the few pounds for the special delivery of one or two coins, that I never initially thought about the cost of posting heavy items. 

Ah yes, that would explain it.

1 hour ago, 1949threepence said:

Cheers Nick, although I think what I failed to take into account was the postage cost of the two books I won, one of which is a Peck. I didn't previously have an account with DNW, so there won't be any previous amount wrongly carried forward. 

I fell for that one once were the postage for a few books was a good few quid from an auction but you still got what you wanted Mike .

That Peck book is a big heavy thing but you only need one :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PWA 1967 said:

I fell for that one once were the postage for a few books was a good few quid from an auction but you still got what you wanted Mike .

That Peck book is a big heavy thing but you only need one :)

Thanks Pete. I've had a good and successful auction. I'm also pleased to say that the only coin I lost out on was to a fellow forum member, Jerry. 

8 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Mike, you could have had Chris Finch Hatton ('Finch') of DNW bring it to the Midland Coin Fair , and collected it from there, you are apparently in Warwickshire so perhaps reasonably near you? Chris brings up my purchases, saves me a few bob over the year.

Jerry

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jelida said:

Mike, you could have had Chris Finch Hatton ('Finch') of DNW bring it to the Midland Coin Fair , and collected it from there, you are apparently in Warwickshire so perhaps reasonably near you? Chris brings up my purchases, saves me a few bob over the year.

Jerry

That's not a bad idea, Jerry. Obviously it would be very decent of Chris to do that. 

Yes, the Midland isn't very far from me. 

I would get on to DNW on Monday am, they might not have posted it yet!  If you need to speak to Finch he is a great guy, very approachable and very helpful. Worth getting to know, he slips out DNW catalogues for free at the Midland Coin Fair if you ask him nicely (but dont tell anyone!)?.

Jerry

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, jelida said:

I would get on to DNW on Monday am, they might not have posted it yet!  If you need to speak to Finch he is a great guy, very approachable and very helpful. Worth getting to know, he slips out DNW catalogues for free at the Midland Coin Fair if you ask him nicely (but dont tell anyone!)?.

Jerry

I'll let this one go through as I've already paid and the next Midland isn't until 9th October. But thanks for the tip. Will remember for next time :) 

7 minutes ago, Paulus said:

My DNW wins arrived today so they are pretty quick :)

That's incredibly fast considering it only finished yesterday. Much quicker than LCA, who take a week or so.  

DNW are quite quick with postage. All my wins come now via FedEx due to the previous courier stealing one of my packets late last year, normally takes only 3 days

Edited by azda

DNW have always been good - haven't got my one win (Bristol groat) yet but confident it will arrive on Tuesday. 

LCA took 8 days last time, but at least for the first time I got an e-mail & tracking no. from them prior to delivery - have previously just had to sit & wait for up to 2 weeks!

28 minutes ago, pokal02 said:

DNW have always been good - haven't got my one win (Bristol groat) yet but confident it will arrive on Tuesday. 

LCA took 8 days last time, but at least for the first time I got an e-mail & tracking no. from them prior to delivery - have previously just had to sit & wait for up to 2 weeks!

I'm hoping my lots will as well, although they haven't been marked as shipped on the DNW website yet. Interestingly, since paying, my account, under "account management", is showing as £0.00, but under "invoices" it's still showing the full amount as owing, as though it should still be paid. 

20 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

I'm hoping my lots will as well, although they haven't been marked as shipped on the DNW website yet. Interestingly, since paying, my account, under "account management", is showing as £0.00, but under "invoices" it's still showing the full amount as owing, as though it should still be paid. 

I paid over the weekend and the invoice (under invoices) clearly states that it has been paid.

Just waiting for the shipping info now.

I once received my coins on the very next day after a DNW auction, having paid mid-afternoon.  It doesn't get any better than that if you can't attend.