British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

1949threepence

DNW live bidding - a great listen!

Following this on live audio, and although I've no interest in the items currently being auctioned, I can say with absolute certainty that every item has fetched well above the upper estimate. Room and internet bidding against each other.

Very very interesting.

That's not good to hear , there are some items I want that go on sale tomorrow :unsure:

Jesus you're not wrong, just flicking back through the realised prices :o 

1 minute ago, SWANNY said:

That's not good to hear , there are some items I want that go on sale tomorrow :unsure:

Exactly what I was thinking!

8 minutes ago, SWANNY said:

Some are literally massively above upper estimate, no exaggeration. One was £260 upper estimate, went for £700.

It is mostly internet vs internet. Not many room bids.

That suggests that the estimates were on the light side.

8 minutes ago, jaggy said:

That suggests that the estimates were on the light side.

Very much so.

The estimate business is always a bit of a lottery. I won three lots  at Heritage some days ago and all below the low estimate; two of them well below. So best to ignore the estimate, work out how much a coin is worth to you and take it from there.

The esimates are low on the pennies.

Going back towards another topic.....be carefull on the pictures and attributions.

A mate of mine viewed them and i have since crossed some off my list although was only really bothered about one.

All goes back to if you want to buy at auction without viewing....then take your chance.

These are all 'come and buy me' estimates.

6 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Going back towards another topic.....be carefull on the pictures and attributions.

A mate of mine viewed them and i have since crossed some off my list although was only really bothered about one.

All goes back to if you want to buy at auction without viewing....then take your chance.

Are you able to share?

16 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Yes, I'm in two minds as to whether to re-bid myself. 

13 minutes ago, Nordle11 said:

These are all 'come and buy me' estimates.

A few are selling at or below estimate, more especially the ones with low estimates below £100. The majority are well over, however. 

Just now, 1949threepence said:

Yes, I'm in two minds as to whether to re-bid myself. 

A few are selling at or below estimate, more especially the ones with low estimates below £100. The majority are well over, however. 

TBH I know nothing of most of these lots, so the estimate is all I have to go on and most are double, triple what the estimate is.

6 minutes ago, jaggy said:

Are you able to share?

Only on about pennies so not much to share and someone else may be happy :)

Edited by PWA 1967

Just now, PWA 1967 said:

Only on about pennies so not much to share and someone else may be happy.

Have a check of the freeman numbers if your interested :)

I have identified a few sixpence lots that interest me. Generally have been happy with what I have got from DNW.

Ignore the freeman number reference as irellevant.

Get your trigger finger ready as i have always been happy with them :)

Got a decent copy of Peck for £50. Description as follows:-

, Peck, C.W., English Copper, Tin and Bronze Coins in the British Museum, 1558-1958, 2nd edn, London, 1964, xx + 648pp, 50 fine collotype plates (Manville 1115). Publisher’s blue cloth; a clean working copy with a few pencil annotations, inscribed to Jeff Gardiner from his wife, February 1967, on first free endpaper and with publicity leaflet by the Empire Coin Co [Q.D. Bowers] relating to Bowers’ acquisition of Peck’s 1954 Penny on 10 December 1963 [weight 2.2 kg] £60-80

• Like 1

Found an add on for instant chat, thought it might be worth trying while the DNW auction is on today. Top right in the menu bar, come and join!

People are joining but then leaving 5 minutes later, so if something's not working let me know. 

41 minutes ago, Nordle11 said:

People are joining but then leaving 5 minutes later, so if something's not working let me know. 

Not to worry, it's working now.

A good addition to the forum B) There's only 5 in there and i got this error

he chat room limit has been reached. You will not be able to join the chat room until some users first leave.

Error code: 1H269/B

Edited by azda

13 minutes ago, azda said:

he chat room limit has been reached. You will not be able to join the chat room until some users first leave.

On it. only 3 in there now if you want to join!

26 minutes ago, azda said:

So I found out that this chat feature is like a freebie, which comes with 5 users max in the chatroom. To upgrade it, it costs to download the tool.

These are going high, took a look this morning and tried without success on a few lots. I have three "nice" 1871 pennies, including two with much lustre, but I liked the one for sale at DNW today. Unfortunately, not in hand and nobody to view for me so dropped out as the bidding hit 1700 which is over 2k with the juice! I thought that possibly the 1869 went for low at 2k - I have a better so passed.

1 minute ago, VickySilver said:

These are going high, took a look this morning and tried without success on a few lots. I have three "nice" 1871 pennies, including two with much lustre, but I liked the one for sale at DNW today. Unfortunately, not in hand and nobody to view for me so dropped out as the bidding hit 1700 which is over 2k with the juice! I thought that possibly the 1869 went for low at 2k - I have a better so passed.

Could you not see any messages in the Chat? We said hi but you left :D