British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Nemo1832

Finding uncirculated coinage?

Ohhhhh, 

I feel sooo sorry for you, I meant it as a joke, I never thought it could actually happen awwww it must have been painful especially just for fags and some other stuff the best 50p I have is worth £1 (suffragettes) I just can't imagine losing a 100 - 200£ one 

But there again I have probably got a few stings coming my way in coin collecting. I'm staying with cheap coins - I'm now scared to move to expensive ones. ?

1 hour ago, thazz said:

No, really, I mean rubik's cube look it up, rubik's cube world record and Feliks Zemdegs on YouTube.  there are rubik's cube competitions about once a month in England and many other YouTube channels. It's a fun community and I know it sounds cheesy but it's fun

Trust me? lel

Yes really i had never heard of cubing.....if you had put ,mauling around with a rubik cube i may have understood.

So these competitions i assume its how quick you can complete it.

What coins do you collect thazz ?.

My plan is that I will start on decimal coins and move down (hopefully soon because I am starting to get a bit fed up of decimal coins after some intense study) my best cube solve so far is 16secs, nothing compared to some people,  however I'm happy☺️

Thanks to all the people who have been so kind to me on the forum so far. I much appreciate it. ?

Edited by Guest

9 minutes ago, thazz said:

Ohhhhh, 

I feel sooo sorry for you, I meant it as a joke, I never thought it could actually happen awwww it must have been painful especially just for fags and some other stuff the best 50p I have is worth £1 (suffragettes) I just can't imagine losing a 100 - 200£ one 

But there again I have probably got a few stings coming my way in coin collecting. I'm staying with cheap coins - I'm now scared to move to expensive ones. ?

You'll get plenty of support here on this site :) nothing wrong with starting on cheap coins. I would recommend having a good read up on whatever area you are interested in and most of all, enjoying the experience. I used to buy the monthly Coin News magazine. It lists loads of reliable and helpful dealers, and also lists the 'up and coming' auctions, coin fairs and major UK numismatic clubs 'coin clubs'. I made some nice friends at my local club and I was able to hear pros talk about their coins and interests. I started off collecting sixpences and George III coins, but now I'm fully dedicated to collecting hammered pennies. I'm still a newbie in this field, but I'm having fun learning along the way and collecting some interesting coins in the process. 

Thanks, 

But the thing is I'm a bit young (don't want to reveal my age) but I am on a weak budget don't want to stretch it. But I am interested in local clubs, thanks for the advice ?

46 minutes ago, thazz said:

Thanks, 

But the thing is I'm a bit young (don't want to reveal my age) but I am on a weak budget don't want to stretch it. But I am interested in local clubs, thanks for the advice ?

Age doesn't matter thazz, I started at 15/16. What got me started was I noticed a difference in thickness to the then newly sized 10p and wrote to the mint asking about it. Turned out there was no difference in thickness just a 'round' edge and a 'square' edge. I still have the letter they sent somewhere. I collected the proof sets for a number of years then progressed to older coins and finally settled on tokens, unofficial farthings to be exact, but still collect coins where the designs appeal to me.

And thazz....16 seconds to solve a rubix cube?!?!? I couldn't do one in 16 days!!!!!

Thanks, 

I guess I am a younger you then. Your experiences seem very similar to mine. It gets addictive?

2 hours ago, Descartes said:

It actually happened to me :(  I collected nearly all the Olympic 50ps when they first come out when I was at university. Thanks to my friend who worked at the student union bar. My brother spent them (along with my Kew gardens, my public libraries and Sam Johnson 50ps 'my 3 favourites') and then put the equivalent back the following week in banknotes. The loss really peed me off as I still haven't replaced the Kew gardens (and I'm certainly not going to pay 100 quid for a replacement). It never even occurred to him that all the coins had different designs ... he just needed some ready cash for petrol and some fags.

What you mean to say is it didn't occur to you to keep them in a safe place, given it was your collection. For anyone with no interest in numismatics, a coin is just a thing which you can use to exchange for goods or services. To be hoarded or p'd against the wall - nothing more. Mustn't lose sight of the fact that collectors are very much the exception, not the rule. Thankfully, anything pre-decimal is no longer circulating, otherwise we would all be at greater risk of having our collections spent.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, will1976 said:

It makes you wonder why someone would break a set up just to spend it, I know there not worth a fortune but you can make a small premium if you sell them

No reason to wonder. The money is in the 50p, £1 and £2 coins, but in terms of effort expended does not represent a huge return given any sale will likely be through ebay with its fees and then posted with the Royal Mail.. If the three are selling more individually than the sets are as a whole, then breaking them up is a no-brainer as a dealer, but less clear cut on eBay with the relevant fees and costs taken into consideration. I can sell £1 coins at any time for now - I think I only have 1 or 2 left. But I still have a healthy selection of 1/2p to 20ps. These I could use for small change at any time should I need to. There are collectors of all denominations, but most do just the three mentioned.

As a rule, the question should be 'why do you not break them up?' Given the involvement of the general public as opposed to knowledgeable numismatists, I still think this feeding frenzy will end in tears.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, will1976 said:

My first thought was some teenager has raided daddy's collection.....could you imagine :(

You have just made a very good case for collecting the unspendable. ;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thazz said:

Ohhhhh, 

Most cheap coins will stay cheap and most expensive ones today will continue to hold their value. The biggest impediment for you is knowledge. If you stop worrying about their value, and concentrate on their numismatic qualities, the question of collecting what you can afford rather than what is really cheap  will determine your collecting habits. You will like things that are beyond your pocket (we all do), but even the more expensive relative to your pocket can be acquired without concern once you have done your homework.

31 minutes ago, Rob said:

What you mean to say is it didn't occur to you to keep them in a safe place, given it was your collection. For anyone with no interest in numismatics, a coin is just a thing which you can use to exchange for goods or services. To be hoarded or p'd against the wall - nothing more. Mustn't lose sight of the fact that collectors are very much the exception, not the rule. Thankfully, anything pre-decimal is no longer circulating, otherwise we would all be at greater risk of having our collections spent.

My brother and I both learned a lesson that day. He can't spend my hammered coins, Thankfully, they're not even accepted in the shops in our beautiful but old fashioned Wiltshire anymore :P 

On 19/10/2017 at 11:14 PM, Coinery said:

Avalon to Manchester...you may as well be! ?

A journey from 'Whur's eee to?' to 'He's dead sound!'

all very odd!

A bit like in March 1979 when we were discussing where to go caving that weekend. I suggested going down Ireby Fell Cavern on Ingleborough. Some cheeky bugger quipped 'That's Rob-speak for I have fallen over'. Wouldn't mind, but it came from the mahf of a Lahndoner.

10 hours ago, thazz said:

My plan is that I will start on decimal coins and move down (hopefully soon because I am starting to get a bit fed up of decimal coins after some intense study) my best cube solve so far is 16secs, nothing compared to some people,  however I'm happy☺️

Thanks to all the people who have been so kind to me on the forum so far. I much appreciate it. ?

Yes 16 seconds does seem a bit slow :P ;)

It has taken me 20 seconds to work out what you are talking about.............

20 minutes ago, Rob said:

It has taken me 20 seconds to work out what you are talking about.............

You need to get more with it Rob as cubing is the future :blink:

I may seem that 16 seconds is really fast to you guys but when you've been mauling around with a rubiks cube for 2 YEARS it really isn't plus on that solve I got a bit lucky and didn't have to do the last step. 

Also Rob, that's what I like about coin collecting because there is almost unlimited knowledge and there are always more topics you can move onto you could almost be a coin collector and hardly have any of the coins you know about. 

P. S. How on earth do you reply to a comment and have it a above your comment

Edited by Guest

List of uncirculated coins I have heard of being found in change:

New trial one pound in arcade machines

2009 blue Peter high jump issue

A few predecimal pennies

Some which are in BU or almost BU and are definitely out of a set

Some pennies with circle rivots which are therefore out a proof or BU set

(please add to the list when you hear of new findings?)