British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Nemo1832

Finding uncirculated coinage?

My son is working on an art installation and needs to find £30 of uncirculated 2p coins and £30 of 10p's. Can anyone help me in tracking them down? Somewhere in the UK they must be sitting on a shelf in a bank, so I need to know where and then try and get my hands on the little darlings. 

I'd be terribly grateful for any ideas on the quickest way of finding them. 

Welcome Nemo. Probably the best bet is to head down to your bank and ask for them, they should oblige.

If you get them elsewhere you might find that you pay more than 2p for a 2p ;) 

How rare is it that you find a coin in your change that was only produced for sets? 

I certainly have never found one but I know people do find them. Pls answer if you have ever found one.  I'm interested ☺️

Hi thazz and welcome to the forum.

I would think not many have found them over the last few years although not impossible its unlikely to happen i would of thought.

A quick question for you......What is cubing ?

OK Pete. I give up. What IS cubing?

8 minutes ago, Michael-Roo said:

OK Pete. I give up. What IS cubing?

Not a clue :blink:

But thazz is interested in it.

Ha ha, oh yes. Thanks Pete, just spotted what it is you were referring to.

OK so, Thazz, what IS cubing?

Good grief. I had assumed it was abbreviated text speak for clubbing (that's going to clubs for those who don't understand). As bad as my son.

Me: 'Do you want a cup of coffee?'

Son: 'I'm good.'

Me: 'Sometimes you are, sometimes not. Anyway, do you want a coffee?'

Son: 'I'm good.'

Me: 'You still haven't answered the question.'

Son: 'No padre, I don't.'

So by deduction, am good means do not. Who could possibly have guessed that?

I appreciate that all languages evolve, but at times I might as well be in a foreign country for all I understand about a conversation. :(

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Rob said:

...I might as well be in a foreign country for all I understand about a conversation. :(

Avalon to Manchester...you may as well be! ?

A journey from 'Whur's eee to?' to 'He's dead sound!'

all very odd!

2 hours ago, Coinery said:

C'mon, chaps, get with the program! :D

IMG_3646.PNG

IMG_3647.PNG

I still maintain cubing is just bad spelling. The apposite Ballsie75 couldn't even get his name right.

Not aware of any decimal issues, but then never checked. I did pull several well circulated 1953 pennies out of circulation back in the day

16 hours ago, thazz said:

How rare is it that you find a coin in your change that was only produced for sets? 

I certainly have never found one but I know people do find them. Pls answer if you have ever found one.  I'm interested ☺️

I once had a proof pound coin in change a few years back but it's design was used on circulating coinage too. That's been the only one though in 25 years of collecting

1 hour ago, davidrj said:

Not aware of any decimal issues, but then never checked. I did pull several well circulated 1953 pennies out of circulation back in the day

I think I'm correct in saying, David, that around a million 1953 pennies were minted, mainly for uncirculated sets, and that a fair percentage of those eventually found their way into circulation, such that prior to decimalisation, the odd one would very occasionally turn up in change.

Although none were ever intended for general circulation.  

36 minutes ago, will1976 said:

I once had a proof pound coin in change a few years back but it's design was used on circulating coinage too. That's been the only one though in 25 years of collecting

Yes, I had a 1990 one in my change once. 

No, really, I mean rubik's cube look it up, rubik's cube world record and Feliks Zemdegs on YouTube.  there are rubik's cube competitions about once a month in England and many other YouTube channels. It's a fun community and I know it sounds cheesy but it's fun

Trust me? lel

6 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Yes, I had a 1990 one in my change once. 

It makes you wonder why someone would break a set up just to spend it, I know there not worth a fortune but you can make a small premium if you sell them

• Like 1

I think there are a few people who may inherit it or get given it and are a bit thick skinned and don't realise that it is worth a bit? 

Maybe I am wrong but it seems the most likely reason. 

My first thought was some teenager has raided daddy's collection.....could you imagine :(

25 minutes ago, will1976 said:

It makes you wonder why someone would break a set up just to spend it, I know there not worth a fortune but you can make a small premium if you sell them

Give one to a small child as a gift, and it will broken open in 5 minutes. That’s why toys still in the box fetch a high premium

Poor daddy. Probably spent the kew aswell??

8 minutes ago, thazz said:

Poor daddy. Probably spent the kew aswell??

It actually happened to me :(  I collected nearly all the Olympic 50ps when they first come out when I was at university. Thanks to my friend who worked at the student union bar. My brother spent them (along with my Kew gardens, my public libraries and Sam Johnson 50ps 'my 3 favourites') and then put the equivalent back the following week in banknotes. The loss really peed me off as I still haven't replaced the Kew gardens (and I'm certainly not going to pay 100 quid for a replacement). It never even occurred to him that all the coins had different designs ... he just needed some ready cash for petrol and some fags.