British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paddy

My Saxon Coin Collection

This forum seems to have been a bit quiet for a while!

A long time ago I set myself the target of getting one coin from each of the Wessex/All England kings. I got to seven about 4 years ago and have stalled since then. Here's what I have so far for your comment/appreciation. (I hope not to hear the word "fake" too much, but if you have your suspicions please say so.)

Aethelred II:

Aethelred II.jpg

Athelwulf:

Athelwulf.jpg

Cnut:

Cnut.jpg

Eadgar:

Eadgar.jpg

Eadred:

Eadred.jpg

Edward the Confessor:

Edward Confessor.jpg

Athelstan:

Athelstan.jpg

• Like 1

A wonderful collection Paddy there is some great history behind everyone of those coins. I know next to nothing about hammered coins so I won't comment on there quality etc. By my recollection of early English kings you are about half way to completing your collection, but I don't know if the likes of Sweynforkbeard, Edmund Ironside or Eadwig issued any as they were only around for a short time.

• Like 1

You are right - Svein forkbeard and Edmund Ironside are impossible, Eadwig very difficult. By my reckoning going back to Egbert I need 11 more, so it could be some time!

Nice coins , congrats !!

You should improve your skills as photographer ;)

I think they're scans? But he's right, you should up the scan quality!

I think Egbert, Edward Martyr, Harthacnut and Harold II would be the four most rare/expensive.  

21 hours ago, Paddy said:

You are right - Svein forkbeard and Edmund Ironside are impossible, Eadwig very difficult. By my reckoning going back to Egbert I need 11 more, so it could be some time!

You're lucky. I've got 110 gaps in my Saxon/Mercian list :(

2 hours ago, Nordle11 said:

I think they're scans? But he's right, you should up the scan quality!

Yes they are scans as you supposed. I do not have the camera equipment to take better shots, and the only option on the scanner is to double the dpi - which runs into the picture size limits!

One day I will get into better photography but at the moment my cash is spent on the coins, not on photographing them. :-)

• Like 1