British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
bagerap

1975 10p. Clipped planchet or PMD?

The key is going to be whether the radius of the missing bits matches the coin. There is no reason to assume that only one clip could occur. To have a different radius to the 10p requires you to have a flan clipped in two places and also of the wrong diameter, i.e. a blank in the wrong bucket and with two unusual errors. Do you win the lottery on a regular basis?

Thanks Rob, a simple and elegant solution. A 10p of the same vintage fits neatly into both depressions.

Obviously the more mistakes the rarer the error, but it shouldn't surprise people that they get through as there is not sufficient flan missing to bugger up the striking process, after all, the attached got though and that is missing considerably more of the circumference.

c1953 1987 2p defective blank.jpg

• Like 1

Looks not unreasonable (like that assessment?). A bit like a couple I have; can't remember, but there is a name for the effect seen where details start to, well, mush out and toward the defect. The apparent radius of smaller clips should tend to be INCREASED slightly as per the clip at 4 o'clock as the center  is deflected slightly more outward than the apices at either end - if that makes sense.

I vote that its the real deal with only nominal value. If pressed, I'd say maybe 10 quid or so if the crud and fingermarks cleaned up with a bit of acetone (i'm not a buyer!).

10 minutes ago, VickySilver said:

Looks not unreasonable (like that assessment?). A bit like a couple I have; can't remember, but there is a name for the effect seen where details start to, well, mush out and toward the defect. The apparent radius of smaller clips should tend to be INCREASED slightly as per the clip at 4 o'clock as the center  is deflected slightly more outward than the apices at either end - if that makes sense.

I vote that its the real deal with only nominal value. If pressed, I'd say maybe 10 quid or so if the crud and fingermarks cleaned up with a bit of acetone (i'm not a buyer!).

I think it's called the Blakesley effect (?) it should 'mush out' the side opposite to the clip. Looks genuine to me too, the beading is faded around the clips which is a good indicator, and if you've already tested and another 10p fits into the clip nicely, I wouldn't hesitate to say a mint error. Couldn't disagree with VS' value, around 5-10 quid sounds about right.

Thanks gents. It will eventually be traded for summat.

• Like 1

On 13/09/2016 at 5:16 AM, bagerap said:

I think this could be PMD:

ip0gvk.jpg

Sorry for the lat reply but it looks okay to me - the fishtailing on the AB of ELIZABETH is an indicator of a genuine clip I think.