British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
mhcoins

Something for a Farthing Collector

Hi all,

Would anyone be interested in the below ? Im looking for £575

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

Queen Anne (1702 – 14) Pattern Farthing in Lead, bust left, ANNA AVGVSTA. rev. Peace standing in biga, PAX MISSA PER ORBEM (cf. BMC 766 for specimen in tin)

Porous flan, fine, and believed to be unique thus extremely rare.

Provenance

Ex Archbishop Sharp*  Collection, Glendinings 5th October 1977, lot 274

Ex The Colin Cooke Collection, lot 497

* Dr John Sharp (1645 – 1714) was Archbishop of York from 1691 until his death in 1714, and from a note in his Will it is known that he began collecting coins in 1687. As a noted numismatist of his day, many of the coins such as this rare piece would have been bought contemporary to the time when they were made. 

image2.JPG

image3.JPG

463.jpg

Yes but , The item is just horrible, it really does not matter how rare it is but the metal its made out of and the way it corrodes , I dont blame farthing collectors for snubbing these and buying say three  charles the 2nd patterns , even if worn are far more attractive  than this .

Yuk and its a pass from me

Historically interesting, but a bit like a cat with two heads I suppose: Exceptionally rare, but that doesn't mean to say I'd want to own one…..  :)

Sign in to follow this