British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sarah G

Olympic Coin Expert Wanted!

Hi

I am hoping that there may be someone who can help me with some queries about the original olympic folders (the coin folders that holds the carded coins).  Unfortunately, I only started collecting recently and I wondered if anyone could give me some detailed information.  I am aware that 2 editions of the carded folders were made with different barcodes.  These folders are different in that the completer medallion writing is missing.  I am hoping that someone may know more information.  I have contacted the Royal Mint who have now forwarded me onto the museum.  

I know a bit about the coins but not much about the folders! I have one folder with the writing for the completer medallion present - let me know what you want to know about it.

I have discovered recently that there were two versions of the completer medallion even before the coin hunt version came out - one white metal and one gold coloured. I have not found any mention of this with the Royal Mint, nor any difference in the packaging, so if you know any more I would appreciate the info!

There are 2 folders types of the original folder which held the carded olympic coins.  (there are other folders that hold just the coins)   They have two different barcodes.  The first type is barcode 5026177253587.  This barcode is the folder which does not have the completer medallion in yellow writing either at the front of the folder or within the folder.  The barcode 5026177245360 is the newer folder which has the writing in yellow for the completer coin and mentions the completer coin at the front of the folder.  Hope that makes sense.  Not sure how many of each folder have been made.  Have asked the question to the Royal Mint which they are looking into further. 

The holograms also help to define the age of the product.   Each olympic product sold had a hologram with a number starting 000000.  The lower the number, the earlier the product.  The aquatic coin with lines and the blue peter coin have very low numbers.  (bear in mind this hologram was used for all olympic products not just coins!)  They then ran out of numbers so future products started LA000000.  

I am trying to find people who knew more about these products at the time.  I know there were rumours of withdrawn products due to quality control.  I have asked this question to the Royal Mint and they state that this did not occur.   

It is interesting that there are two types of completer coin.   I have found out that when the original folders were started they did not know what the completer coin would be.  It could not be decided whether it was another 50p coin or a medallion type coin.  Hence why the original folders were done without any writing.

I have a full folder with all my coins Holograms starting with L except for the completer medallion and folder which starts LA. My medallion is silver if that helps at all with the stadium on.

Edited by bhx7

26 minutes ago, bhx7 said:

I have a full folder with all my coins Holograms starting with L except for the completer medallion and folder which starts LA. My medallion is silver if that helps at all with the stadium on.

BHX7 Does your folder barcode end in 3587 or 5360.  I am assuming your folder is 5360 as it has the later LA number.

My completer medallions start with L845 and are silver with the stadium on as well

Has anyone got any completer medallions with a lower L number that they could check?

My folder Hologram starts with an L and the barcode ends 5360 and does indeed include the yellow writing for the completer medallion.

As far as I can see the individual packets have holograms all starting with the L, but the gold plated completer medallion has an LA number - I did get it separately and much later. The barcode for this one ends 9664.

I hope that helps!

I can never understand why whitman have never repeated their uk folders - its been years since  they retailed at 25p in the mid to late sixties.

I am sure there would be a new market now

I was never a great fan of the Whitman folders - either the coins kept falling out and people used glue or selotape to hold them in, or they got so firmly stuck that you destroyed the folder if you tried to remove them.

I think the gap in the market has been filled to an extent by the new "Coin Hunter" series, which I think is from the Royal Mint. Certainly it has boosted the interest in all modern 50ps, not just the Olympic ones.

Same here - got rid of mine when one fell out and I accidentally booted it across the room :( not too expensive a coin, thank god.

Many Whitmans out there with holes in the backs too.