British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
copper123

poor coin dealers

A story in the mail today about loose change being worth a fortune , should keep dealers on their toes answering the phone 20 times a day to the vox populi

for the next six months or so .

Anybody want a peter rabbit 50p only a tenner?

Edited by copper123

Vox populi translates as 'voice of the people'.

Did you mean Hoi polloi ('the masses')? ;)

I thought vox pop was like fielding calls from the public, generally on a radio station.. In that sense it makes sense to me.

sidenote - did you sign up to the forum just for that? :D 

vvanker alert.

13 minutes ago, Peter said:

vvanker alert.

Where?

1 hour ago, Tigon said:

:D

Sorry, I can't remove the post you reported as 1. you provided no reason for the report, perhaps it was in error? and b. Peter was merely letting us know there is a vvanker in our midsts, no harm no foul.

• Like 1

Off with the socks and hands off c**** Yeh I'm a twat and can't be having myself sometimes

coppied and pasted from the independant

Can you spot the mistakes?

About 210,000 ‘Pagoda’ 50p coins are in circulation in the UK,(WRONG!) with each typically being sold for around £30-50 on eBay.

(can anyone tell me how 210,000 coins can be in circulation but also be for sale on ebay at the same time)

The coins can be identified by the image on the ‘tails’ side of the iconic Kew Gardens Pagoda. But with almost 950 million regular 50p coins, they are going to be difficult to spot. (why?)

In 2008, the Royal Mint launched a series of 20p coins missing the year they were issued. (not launched at all it was a simple mint mistake)

Heralded as the “Holy Grail of change collecting”, buyers are willing to pay up to £100 each for them. BULLSHIT

The rarest £2 coin is considered to be the Northern Ireland 2002 Commonwealth Games version.

Issued 14 years ago, 485,000 were minted, with each (WRONG  not all  485, 000 are on ebay right now!) on sale for around £20 on eBay.

Assuming most are still in circulation (Wrong, they have had 13 years or so to dissapear into collectors collections), that is one for every 132 people in the UK.

- bet you can - OMG who would want to be an ignorant journalist?

• Like 1

Are "coppied and pasted from the independant" the mistakes?

:P 

• Like 3

But seriously that journalist has written a bunch of rubbish.

Just now, Paulus said:

I get an error when I try and PM you Matt @Nordle11

403 error, permission denied?

Just sent you one OK, see if it'll let you reply in it.

15 minutes ago, Nordle11 said:

Are "coppied and pasted from the independant" the mistakes?

I would expect this off peter

Note to self - I must use spell check

:P 

Poor old coin dealers are about to get another assault from the masses - The edinburgh £1 has just recieved mass publicity just in  the last week or so to have every coin dealer in the coutry cursing it for the next five years

36 minutes ago, copper123 said:

Poor old coin dealers are about to get another assault from the masses - The edinburgh £1 has just recieved mass publicity just in  the last week or so to have every coin dealer in the coutry cursing it for the next five years

Yes but they are selling for stupid prices on ebay now, one sold yesterday I believe for £56 ish. Amazing how the Daily Mail can have that effect on the pricing.

Is now the right time to sell the BU one Pete sent me for nothing? :rolleyes:

13 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

Is now the right time to sell the BU one Pete sent me for nothing? :rolleyes:

Yes. Nobody would begrudge you making the most of an idiot.

Just now, Rob said:

Yes. Nobody would begrudge you making the most of an idiot.

That's what they're there for.

Just now, Rob said:

Yes. Nobody would begrudge you making the most of a very nice man.

FTFY. :)

yes idot is the person that will buy it not the person that gave it , wonders if peter is quids in with a mint bag?

Is someone at the Daily Mail cashing in?

Do a little research on a coin with a lower than normal mintage, buy them all at low prices, publish an article saying they are rare, then SELL, SELL, SELL.

Ian.. 

4 hours ago, Nutsaboutcoins said:

Is someone at the Daily Mail cashing in?

Do a little research on a coin with a lower than normal mintage, buy them all at low prices, publish an article saying they are rare, then SELL, SELL, SELL.

Ian.. 

To be honest I thought this as well its a format that has worked well twice before , and I did tell everyone on here to fill their boots With edinburgh  pound coins ),months ago and kept repeating it .

The one thing that has me totally surprised is the fact that the great british public never seem to forget or loose interest in these urban legend coins .

Its been over five years since the undated 20p was anounced to the public even though it was known of six months before the press anouncement  and it still fetches ten times its worth.

I really wonder what sort of person is buying these coins , and why , they are not coin collectors or have little interest in coins but still they buy , has anyone any ideas why? Is it a follow the leader like thing and who is the leader ? The daily mail, the sun or the mirror .

Have wer created in this country a class of people that cannot think for themselves and have to be told what to buy on the internet by the media  because they are mindless and week willed ?

Just thinking out loud !

Edited by copper123