British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
MACKSILKY.

Odd silver 2p coin 1971

Hi guy's, a friend at work brought this odd looking 2 pence coin in to show me. I'm not really clued up on decimal coins so i thought i would put it to the forum. Anyway it's a 2 pence coin dated 1971 and silver in appearance. It doesn't look sprayed or painted, any ideas. And are these rare?

sorry about the quality of the scans i took them at 3AM. Cheers lads and lasses for any info.

Regards jim.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Hi Jim,

It's a silver plated coin I would say, the overall appearance gives me that impression. The details are all a bit fuzzy, where the plating is just filling it in.

If I was better at posting, I'd put one of mine up...It still could be a circulated nickel off-metal strike, hard to tell. Weighing it is always a good start, but sometimes not too easy to get to a gram scale...Dealer inspection may be a possibility, but that assumes there is a dealer that would know the difference.A do-it-yourself method is to lightly scratch the middle of the edge of the coin to see if it breaks through potential plating, without bothering the obverse or reverse surfaces & with a circulated coin such as this would not tend to affect value.

A couple years ago, I bought a plated penny that was slightly off-centre and very similar to the 1967 that Azda posted for me in the TPG section of this Board. Message: these can be tricky.

2 minutes ago, VickySilver said:

If I was better at posting, I'd put one of mine up...It still could be a circulated nickel off-metal strike, hard to tell. Weighing it is always a good start, but sometimes not too easy to get to a gram scale...Dealer inspection may be a possibility, but that assumes there is a dealer that would know the difference.A do-it-yourself method is to lightly scratch the middle of the edge of the coin to see if it breaks through potential plating, without bothering the obverse or reverse surfaces & with a circulated coin such as this would not tend to affect value.

A couple years ago, I bought a plated penny that was slightly off-centre and very similar to the 1967 that Azda posted for me in the TPG section of this Board. Message: these can be tricky.

Any dealer should have gram scales :ph34r: just make sure you find the right one.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info, i've got scales so i will weigh it next time i see him. Will post the result.

regards jim.

Its worth £1200 accordinding to the daily mail

Well, that might be a tad optimistic. I got the last off metal strike from London coins that graded out at PCGS65 and was about 250 quid by recollection. Also bought an OMS 1981 penny OVERSTRUCK on a 1956 6d where the original date is legible under the overstrike for about 400....If truly copper-nickel I would guess about 100 or so might be the best to expect with a dealer offering half that. I'm not a dealer at all, and collect these avidly but like others want a top condition piece...

• Like 1

Well put, I would expect the same. I think the ridonkulous price quoted was from that previous sale that was hyped by the Daily Mail (yet again). It's fine though, if someone wants to spend 1k+ on a coin worth £100, I'm not going to stop them :D 

Hi, guys, at last managed to get the two pence weighed. It weighed 7.2 grams. So is this a circulated nickel off metal strike?

If so how common are they.

cheers jim.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by MACKSILKY.
They instead of them.

Interesting that I have a weight of the 2P (1971) as 7.12 gm. so that on a mass/weight basis is NOT supportive of off metal strike (OMS). However, still looks on examination of pictures to be just that. Also, for some reason I have seen multiples of both the 1P and 2P 1971 dates....