British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

The Coinery

Brockages and other errors

24 minutes ago, Paul O said:

Sorry Nordle11, stil thinking about it, & tracked/Signed post to Spain will cost nearly £8

To be honest, the 4 cost me £22, so there should be a tiny profit in it

I will probably put them in LCA, error coins seem to do well there

Just to note - while errors do do relatively well in LCA, the errors you're looking at are more along the lines of brockages/broadstrikes/double struck errors, they're all a little bit more exotic than these, which are just caused by part of the die breaking off during minting. 

I'll have one Pete, if Paul O wants to do the deal.

Ian

10 minutes ago, IanB said:

I'll have one Pete, if Paul O wants to do the deal.

Ian

Not a problem.

I wasnt trying to be greedy just saving him messing around :)

1 hour ago, PWA 1967 said:

Not a problem.

I wasnt trying to be greedy just saving him messing around :)

Thanks Pete:D

I like the plan;)

On 10/26/2016 at 2:33 PM, IanB said:

Thanks Pete:D

I like the plan;)

Well he musnt of been that happy with the idea........Can only offer :)

9 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

Well he musnt of been that happy with the idea........Can only offer :)

Plenty more coins in the ocean Pete.

On 10/24/2016 at 2:54 PM, Guest 1967 GB Very unusual Die F said:

1967 GB Very unusual Die Flaw Error Penny.
Reverse at 4 o’clock has a die flaw going through the “Y” & the field is raised to the level with the top of the “NY”
Obverse has extra metal at 4 o’clock with a die crack going from the top of it almost to the Queens chin, & at 3 o’clock the extra metal is level with the  “EG”
Not sure what would cause it unless the die fractured; the weight is 9.4g & is aUNC
What do you think I could get on eBay ?

1967_1d_(1).JPG

1967_1d_(2).JPG

1967 1d (3).jpg

1967 1d (4).jpg

1967 1d (5).jpg

1967 1d (6).jpg

I have 3 of them, identical 1967s.

Not too rare, but interesting to have multiple identical errors...

Let me know if you're interested in selling it..

On 10/25/2016 at 7:38 AM, Paul O said:

No it's not form eBay, I have 4 of these that are identical, they came from a local general auction,

I was told the vendor worked for the Mint as a setter (who knows if that’s true)

I recon it’s even rarer to have 4 of the same

I have 3,

I would be interested in purchasing all from you if you want to part with them...

Not too often you can get multiple identical errors. ...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1967-GB-Very-unusual-Die-Flaw-Error-Penny-Reverse-at-4-o-clock-has-a-die-flaw-g-/282259134845?hash=item41b7f4997d:g:vfwAAOSwux5YLc6n

Good idea to release one at a time. I know someone who will definitely give you your first bid but I don't know it'll go much further than that.

Good luck!

£100 BIN      

Unknown.jpeg

Edited by IanB

6 minutes ago, IanB said:

£100 BIN      

It's always nice to help others with value and information etc, then we get ignored once they get their answer, with not even a courtesy note to say that the coins are up for sale (even though multiple people expressed interest in buying them).

I think your marketing techniques are a bit askew, Suffolk Coins ;) needless to say, you lost at least one bid with me.

• Like 1

Could not agree more Matt.

He can do what he wants with them but just being decent could of said he did not want to sell them for the money we offered :rolleyes:.

SUFFOLK COINS ..........BOOOOOOOOOOOO :D

Edited by PWA 1967
  • Like 1

Think he tells fibs too: "I have never seen an error close to this on this penny series"

What about the other 3 then? :rolleyes:

4 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

Think he tells fibs too: "I have never seen an error close to this on this penny series"

What about the other 3 then? :rolleyes:

:ph34r:

I basically typed the description for him too;

"It would be called a 'retained rim cud', like you say it arises from problematic dies. You also have quite a clear blakesley effect, in 2 separate places. The weak areas are caused by the die pulling all that metal into the cud, causing the areas directly opposite to lose details. "

Yet he decided to go with;

"Reverse at 4 o’clock has a die flaw going through the “Y” & the field is raised to the level with the top of the “NY”
Obverse has extra metal at 4 o’clock with a die crack going from the top of it almost to the Queens chin, 
& at 3 o’clock the extra metal is level with the  “EG”
Not sure what would cause it unless the die fractured; the weight is 9.4g & is aUNC"

I feel like, what was the point in posting in the forum? :blink:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nordle11 said:

:ph34r:

I basically typed the description for him too;

"It would be called a 'retained rim cud', like you say it arises from problematic dies. You also have quite a clear blakesley effect, in 2 separate places. The weak areas are caused by the die pulling all that metal into the cud, causing the areas directly opposite to lose details. "

Yet he decided to go with;

"Reverse at 4 o’clock has a die flaw going through the “Y” & the field is raised to the level with the top of the “NY”
Obverse has extra metal at 4 o’clock with a die crack going from the top of it almost to the Queens chin, 
& at 3 o’clock the extra metal is level with the  “EG”
Not sure what would cause it unless the die fractured; the weight is 9.4g & is aUNC"

I feel like, what was the point in posting in the forum? :blink:

Can I say a massive thanks in place of the obviously somewhat brain lacking seller of the above. It just so hppens I have just found a modern penny from 1992 with very similar characteristics. I was struggling to figure out how to discribe it, niow I know. Thanks Matt

Regards

Brian

Edited by bhx7
  • Like 1

Just a quick photo of the coin I am talking about. Not sure about any "blakesley effect" on this though.

1992 Penny Mint error - Retained rim cud.jpg

37 minutes ago, bhx7 said:

Just a quick photo of the coin I am talking about. Not sure about any "blakesley effect" on this though.

I don't think it's enough metal being pulled from elsewhere, could be wrong though. Normally it's is used to describe the effect on clipped planchets, but it's pretty much the same thing.

I have been doing a massive survey of modern pennies. Friends and family just keep dropping them off. So far I have about £70 worth and another £40 coming. Only portcullis types, so 1971-2008. Kneck and shoulder are killing me but enjoying it and finding lots of interesting things. Will post results and info once its all finished being collated.

Edited by bhx7
  • Like 2

Just now, bhx7 said:

I have been doing a massive survey of modern pennies. Friends and family just keep dropping them off. So far I have about £70 worth and anoth £40 coming. Only portcullis types, so 1971-2008. Kneck and shoulder are killing me but enjoying it and finding lots of interesting things. Will post results and info once its all finished being collated.

Is it an error survey? 

Its a variant survey of Decimal Pennies.

2 minutes ago, bhx7 said:

Its a variant survey of Decimal Pennies.

Why did you post it in 'ere then? :D

Deserves a thread of it's own, surely!

Was just talking to you Matt. The penny was an error that linked in with what you had said..... Will do later and already started a bit on it in the Decimal section

Oh I see, then just ignore me ;) look forward to reading the write up Brian.

• Like 1

Manners cost nothing, between you, your behaviour is appalling, I would expect comments like this in Facebook, not in what supposed to be a serious forum.

You can patronise & take the pi** all you like, just sold all 4. (To someone on here for a lot more than the first one sold for)

First time I have logged on for weeks, (& probably the last) unlike some I don’t spend my life on forums putting people down.

IanB “I'll have one Pete, if Paul O wants to do the deal. “, (that’s nice of you to ask)

Nordle11 “I think your marketing techniques are a bit askew, Suffolk Coins  needless to say, you lost at least one bid with me.”, (let me have your eBay ID so I can block you).