British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

The Coinery

Brockages and other errors

I have always enjoyed looking at Brockages and coins with errors.

Within my collection I have only 5 and I have attached photos.

The copper coloured disc is actually or would have been an English 2p

I look forward to seeing yours.

img-5.php.jpeg

img-4.php.jpeg

img-3.php.jpeg

img-2.php.jpeg

img-7.php.jpeg

img-6.php.jpeg

img-1.php.jpeg

img.php.jpeg

img-8.php.jpeg

img-9.php.jpeg

• Like 1

Guy, please sell me that 1874h mis-strike........... I'll put a couple of my favourites up, I've got far too many now it's getting silly :D 

Guest 1967 GB Very unusual Die F

1967 GB Very unusual Die Flaw Error Penny.
Reverse at 4 o’clock has a die flaw going through the “Y” & the field is raised to the level with the top of the “NY”
Obverse has extra metal at 4 o’clock with a die crack going from the top of it almost to the Queens chin, & at 3 o’clock the extra metal is level with the  “EG”
Not sure what would cause it unless the die fractured; the weight is 9.4g & is aUNC
What do you think I could get on eBay ?

1967_1d_(1).JPG

1967_1d_(2).JPG

1967 1d (3).jpg

1967 1d (4).jpg

1967 1d (5).jpg

1967 1d (6).jpg

10 minutes ago, Guest 1967 GB Very unusual Die F said:

Put it on and find out. I don't have a crystal ball, nor does anyone else. Could go for 99p or £99. It's a lottery.

13 hours ago, Guest 1967 GB Very unusual Die F said:

1967 GB Very unusual Die Flaw Error Penny.
Reverse at 4 o’clock has a die flaw going through the “Y” & the field is raised to the level with the top of the “NY”
Obverse has extra metal at 4 o’clock with a die crack going from the top of it almost to the Queens chin, & at 3 o’clock the extra metal is level with the  “EG”
Not sure what would cause it unless the die fractured; the weight is 9.4g & is aUNC

It would be called a 'retained rim cud', like you say it arises from problematic dies. You also have quite a clear blakesley effect, in 2 separate places. The weak areas are caused by the die pulling all that metal into the cud, causing the areas directly opposite to lose details.

If you want to sell it I would take it off your hands. eBay will get you about 10-20 quid.

PM me if you want to get rid.

Traveling this week so don't have the internet connection to upload photos. 

But I do have a George V 1949 uniface sixpence. Per ESC 4271, this is likely a Pattern sixpence rather than an error.

I also have another George VI 1949 Sixpence which was struck on a split planchet and weighs in at 1.14g.

On 9/6/2016 at 8:37 AM, Nordle11 said:

3.jpg

I like the extra face on that one. :)

• Like 1

One of my favs. In the right light you can see the whole exergue and date under the ONE on the rev.

14 hours ago, Rob said:

Put it on and find out. I don't have a crystal ball, nor does anyone else. Could go for 99p or £99. It's a lottery.

The coin ....Guest.....Was it not purchased from ebay ? as i have seen it before :o

1 hour ago, PWA 1967 said:

The coin ....Guest.....Was it not purchased from ebay ? as i have seen it before :o

No it's not form eBay, I have 4 of these that are identical, they came from a local general auction,

I was told the vendor worked for the Mint as a setter (who knows if that’s true)

I recon it’s even rarer to have 4 of the same

Edited by Paul O

6 minutes ago, Paul O said:

No it's not form eBay, I have 4 of these that are identical, they came from a local general auction,

I was told the vendor worked for the Mint as a setter (who knows if that’s true)

I recon it’s even rarer to have 4 of the same

:D Surely that cannot be correct - more of something can't equate to it being rarer..

There should always be very similar errors out there of any error coin, unless the mint worker has EXTREMELY quick fingers and stops production just one error coin in (no chance).

If you did want to sell one, I'd be interested ;) 

18 minutes ago, Nordle11 said:

:D Surely that cannot be correct - more of something can't equate to it being rarer..

There should always be very similar errors out there of any error coin, unless the mint worker has EXTREMELY quick fingers and stops production just one error coin in (no chance).

If you did want to sell one, I'd be interested ;) 

I see what your saying, but all 4 are the same (Identical), so that's got to be worth more than a single (same sort of thing as consecutive number notes, sort of)

Having said that, say If I found 4 unique Celtic coins from the same dies, would they be worth more as a combined group  or sold separately ?

34 minutes ago, Paul O said:

I see what your saying, but all 4 are the same (Identical), so that's got to be worth more than a single (same sort of thing as consecutive number notes, sort of)

Having said that, say If I found 4 unique Celtic coins from the same dies, would they be worth more as a combined group  or sold separately ?

Correct, in the sense that 4 of something is worth more than 1 of something. Not in the sense that the value of each coin goes up proportionally to the known quantity, the value of each one will still remain the same, if you have 1 or 50. Maybe for other things this isn't the case, but certainly with an error coin like this. Regarding them being consecutive strikes - 1) that's not something people look for in coins 2) how you you know they're consecutive? Just because they're the same, they could be the 1st, 3rd, 5th and 10th examples that were cranked out. They would still look the same ;) 

I will spell it out as easier.

Please post pictures of all four you have of just the obverse, they will not be identical and will have marks ,scratches that distiguish one from another.

Thank you.

Pete.

3 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

I will spell it out as easier.

Please post pictures of all four you have of just the obverse, they will not be identical and will have marks ,scratches that distiguish one from another.

Thank you.

Pete.

ok will do, have you got the item number from ebay ?

Thanks Paul.

Was looking for the ebay one earier as i no it was the same but cant find it now as maybe over three months ago.

Interesting as you correctly say they are the same and you have the four together and show the same similarities aswell on the reverse :)

Good luck selling them.

Pete.

If he is selling any, he won't get far, I've already asked twice and been ignored :rolleyes: 

2 hours ago, Nordle11 said:

If he is selling any, he won't get far, I've already asked twice and been ignored :rolleyes: 

Sorry Nordle11, stil thinking about it, & tracked/Signed post to Spain will cost nearly £8

To be honest, the 4 cost me £22, so there should be a tiny profit in it

I will probably put them in LCA, error coins seem to do well there

I am in the uk and will have one you can post Matts to me in the same packet and i will forward it on to him ,so not a problem there :)

I will pay for both so thats two sold.

Edited by PWA 1967

Oh I know the postage price to Spain well, don't worry :P but I would assume the postage costs too of course so shouldn't matter.

A good buy for £22, you'll get your money back and a little bit more. I take it you're going to consign them as a lot (all 4 together)?

If you do, I can assure you you'll lose money compared to selling them individually. You're welcome to consider my offer above of £20 for just one, you're almost recouping all your costs back in one sale then ;) 

4 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

I am in the uk and will have one you can post Matts to me in the same packet and i will forward it on to him ,so not a problem there :)

:D

Cheers Pete

In fact i will pay you for all four straight away so you can get rid of them.

If any other forum members want one i will pass on.......seems easier than messing about.

Will give you £80 for them.

Pete.

Edited by PWA 1967