British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Jimmyb0468

1950 proof set toning issue

A bit of advice required, gentlemen......earlier today, I purchased, amongst other things,  a 1950 proof coin set.  It's the 9 coin set, set in the red cardboard box.  The box is in very good condition, with no damage.  I had a quick glimpse inside the box and the coins looked stunning.  

On arrival home, I had a more detailed look at my purchase. To remove the coins, in order to view the obverse, you pull on a thin black ribbon. It would seem that over the years, this ribbon has tarnished exactly where the coins have been sitting on it. There seems to be a very slight difference in toning, the exact width of the ribbon, across the monarchs face. I'm hopeless with computers and would not know where to begin, in trying to upload photos. I'm hoping you experienced guys will just know what I'm rambling on about. Anyway, is this a common feature of boxed sets with ribbons, and nothing to worry about, OR, should I have been more careful in my inspection of the coins, as this has affected the value. The coins, to me, are still beautiful, but have the definite imprint of the ribbons on the side of the coin, which I imagine has been touching it, for 66 years. I'm hoping, you guys have opened hundreds of these sets and encountered the same problem. The set cost me £85, which I felt was a good price. Thanks for reading.

Hi Jimmy.

Yes its common for the proof sets to have toning marks from the ribbon although only looked at pennies some have them

The price was ok aswell . :)

Edited by PWA 1967
  • Like 1

Price is very good and if coins are anything like you say I think you have a bargain .Dont worry about the toneing ,

• Like 1

Agreed again, toning is Part of the ageing process of these sets, if you look for The 1911 silver proof sets you'll see that a majority of these Sets have a heavy Blue tone, obviously the die of the velvet is reacting to The silver. I'd be more worried if they didn't have some form of tone to them......

• Like 1

Agreed - after all these years the tone hopefully adds to these sets in a possative way and becomes part of the set .

Same cannot be said for the cased 70's sets in their plastic holders

• Like 2

Perhaps you could email pictures to one of us? Might be VERY nice, especially if cameo. Actually the boxes fair poorly as well, and would give a bit of premium. I take some and SEPARATELY store them in a zip-lock "baggie".

• Like 1

£85 for a 1950 set - absolute bargain.

Given the age, some degree of toning, however slight, is almost inevitable. In this case from the ribbon. 

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone who has read and replied to this post. I feel a lot happier with my purchase, knowing the ribbon toning is normal. I will need to get my head around this loading photos witchcraft. There are a few coins I own, that I would love to get an opinion on. Cheers, everyone.

• Like 1

Your only regret neads to be that its not a 1951 as  that has the crown in it and is a real stunner

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, copper123 said:

Your only regret neads to be that its not a 1951 as  that has the crown in it and is a real stunner

Question - I have a 1951 Proof Set which I have not looked at closely or photographed yet. Is the crown in the proof set any different to the very common boxed one?

A few months ago, a local coin dealer showed showed me a 1951 proof set. 10 coins, set in the green box. I didn't buy it, and went home empty handed. After doing a bit of research, I decided I would go back the following week and purchase the set. Of course, when I returned , it had been sold. The 1950 set I'm talking about in this post above, was offered to me at the weekend, by the same dealer and rather than miss out, I bought it. The asking price of the 1951 set was £120 and I now know this was a bargain.....

My 1951 proof set is in a red box. The reason for my question surrounds the 1951 crown in particular ... yes it is stunning but in the individual boxes it s plentiful and fetches £5-£10. Not sure the example in the 'proof' set is any different. Spink describes it as 'proof-like' and worth £15 in UNC (2015). I thought the Penny would be the most sought after of the 10 coins in the set.

What I like about it most is it came with an original Spink sale receipt from February 1952 for £1 15 shillings :)

Maybe there were both red and green boxes for these sets, as for the crown alone. I'll take pics and post soon :)

Edited by Paulus
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Paulus said:

My 1951 proof set is in a red box. The reason for my question surrounds the 1951 crown in particular ... yes it is stunning but in the individual boxes it s plentiful and fetches £5-£10. Not sure the example in the 'proof' set is any different. Spink describes it as 'proof-like' and worth £15 in UNC (2015). I thought the Penny would be the most sought after of the 10 coins in the set.

What I like about it most is it came with an original Spink sale receipt from February 1952 for £1 15 shillings :)

Maybe there were both red and green boxes for these sets, as for the crown alone. I'll take pics and post soon :)

There are blue boxes for 1951 too, though I've never seen a crown in one that colour

I actually have a "prooflike" example of a 1951 crown and it only cost me £5 even without the box (I never really wanted the box anyway) and yes it is Prooflike

But I suspect most of  these crowns in their boxes also were never looked after as well as the proof sets so over the years so only a true proof coin looks like the real mccoy.

Unless someone invents a time machine so we can go back and inspect the originals back then

• Like 1

Well I have done my best to photograph my 1951 crown from the set (red box, black ribbons). I have a Spink receipt from 1952 for it too, which is nice :)

Half Crown and Spink receipt also pictured

1951_cr_pf_from_pf_set_01_2400.jpg

1951_hc_pf_from_pf_set_01_2400.jpg

1951_spink_receipt_1200.png

Edited by Paulus
  • Like 3

Really nice if early strike crowns with cameo contrast, the same going for the coins making up the 1950 set, especially the penny.

• Like 1