British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Guest derick

Some really ridiculous eBay listings

And there is a demand for enamelled coins, you can see that by the current bid. And from personal experience I know they sell pretty well. They may technically be ruined as coins, but in doing so, someone has created something else, something even more individual than the coin host.

I'm going to rally to the cause and stand up for enamelled coins! The majority of them are enamelled tastefully and artistically and further highlight the work of the engraver who had produced such a masterpiece. The second one in especially is nice - look at the silver poking through on it; truly superb.

hmm, the reason i do not like them is because most enamled coins are from the 1700's (or atleast most enameled coins on eBay are from the 1700's), and i think it is a big waste...

I agree, however, there are people who collect enamelled coins and I respect their interest.

Look again, the majority are from the 19th and 20th centuries :rolleyes:

Look again, the majority are from the 19th and 20th centuries  :rolleyes:

well, i dont look for them...the only single ones that i have seen have been from the 1700's

(600th post :o:) )

Edited by Master Jmd

Oli's right there are quite a few ones from the 19th century. I fact, the majority that I have seen come from the 19th century. :)

Oli's right there are quite a few ones from the 19th century. I fact, the majority that I have seen come from the 19th century. :)

stop contradicting me :rolleyes: ...its anoying :)

Edited by Master Jmd

Sorry, I am merely stating that there some aspects of enamelled coins that appeal to me, and there are some which don't. :)

Sorry, I am merely stating that there some aspects of enamelled coins that appeal to me, and there are some which don't. :)

oh right...i hate enamled coins ;)

I hate enamelled coins cos I find them so ugly, same with the mounted ones...

i kinda like enammelled coins, what upsets me is it ruins such a good coin, but overall quite often they look pretty decent despite this. Especially the Geo III ones.

I still shook my head with dismay when i saw that enammelled James II Half crown.

You have got to see this:

My Webpage

This is described as the Ext. rare mule of beaded/toothed borders!

You remember that extremely rare TB BB mule? The seller has written to me to say he has withdrawn it after receiving my email putting him straight. Apparently he was selling it for a friend.

Which highlights another ebay problem....It seems that selling things for friends is getting more popular. It's like Chinese whispers by the time things get listed!

It is a recipe for false descriptions. Before anyone lists any sort of coin on Ebay, they should do some thourough research to determine which grade and variety it is.

I should think a lot of them probably don't know that grades and varieties exist, and are quite sure that '1913 Penny in Good condition' is perfectly thorough!

Exactly, the descriptions are often vague. You can definately tell who are the dealers who are selling on Ebay because of the accurate and lengthy descriptions they give. Also, I saw a 1967 half penny slabbed the other day on Ebay! It was MS64 RED. I guess the owner thought that the coin was worth quite a large amount of money. :lol:

Exactly, the descriptions are often vague. You can definately tell who are the dealers who are selling on Ebay because of the accurate and lengthy descriptions they give. Also, I saw a 1967 half penny slabbed the other day on Ebay! It was MS64 RED. I guess the owner thought that the coin was worth quite a large amount of money. :lol:

What did the MS64 slabbed Halfpenny go for?? :unsure:

I think it was for £3.20! :lol: . I wouldn't even buy one because I have about ten at home! I think the only reason it went for so much was because it was slabbed and graded. :huh:

Off-topic but I tried to cash a cheque this morning received for a game I sold on ebay and the bugger had dated it 2002 so they wouldn't accept it! Now I've got to send the cheque back for him to amend and initial. :angry:

I had a ebay cheque for £15 something bounce the other day, and he hasn't replied to the email I sent yet. :angry:

Would it be quicker to have the buyer cancel that cheque and send another one?

I'm not bothered about speed; as long as I get the money I don't care. If he refuses however, I'll flood his inbox with large attachments until he send the cash.

I had a ebay cheque for £15 something bounce the other day, and he hasn't replied to the email I sent yet. :angry:

Would it be quicker to have the buyer cancel that cheque and send another one?

Nothing like that has ever happened to me before thank God!

Btw, I recieved my three half pennies today. They are all sparkling gems especially the 1924 one which has the most brilliant lustre I have ever seen! :D

You have to look at this:

My Webpage

The seller seems to have made the fatal and laughable mistake in thinking that age brings value to a coin! :lol:

You have to look at this:

My Webpage

The seller seems to have made the fatal and laughable mistake in thinking that age brings value to a coin! :lol:

thats quite funny, i still liked the 1 million dollar 1907 one though :)

I saw a 1967 half penny slabbed the other day on Ebay!

That's a pretty common sight. It is most likely to be a sample slab. Grading companies pass these out for free at coin shows in the US. That isn't to say that there aren't a lot of ignoramuses who slab coins that have little value - there are and they do.

Look at this:

1954 forged penny

Someone has altered the '6' in the date to a '5'! So if you want an 'authentic' 1954 penny, then you had better bid! :lol:

Yeah I'm sure it's a misstrike <_<

People change numbers in some penny, I can't remember the exact date, so that it resembles a 1933 penny. It could be 1937 I can't remember.