British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Guest derick

Some really ridiculous eBay listings

More amazed than worried i would say ;)

:lol: I guess I can't sell it to you folk as gold - could I???

No, Just the result of using tungsten light when photographing. Of course I could have put it on Paintshop Pro and 'adjusted' the colour,tone,brilliance,contrast............... :P

By the way,... None of you picked up on the typing error! It should be Henry III! :rolleyes:

By the way,... None of you picked up on the typing error! It should be Henry III! :rolleyes:

Well Henry II had short cross coins. :D

Check out this one, especially the postage costs!!

Sorry! The link does't work. but look anyway!

http___cgi.ebay.co.uk_ws_eBayISAPI.dll_ViewItem_category_58523_item_3942107087_rd_1

Edited by Geordie582

Check out this one, especially the postage costs!!

Sorry! The link does't work. but look anyway!

Geordie -- the coin sold for GBP 2.20. Postage was 14.00 with an additional 2.00 required for insurance. Would selling the coin for less than it's worth and making this up in excessive postage charges reduce ebay's take in this sale? If so, perhaps that's why the seller is charging so much on postage. In either case, it is still an unethical way of conducting business. Here's the link...

Not quite postpaid

Yes i've seen that done before.

I've seen Morgan Dollars sold for $4, with a postage of $250.

It certainly happens, and Ebay gets alot less of the cut.

Guest Peter

Just thought you folks might appreciate a coin being sold on Ebay this afternoon.

The description is such poetry....I don't know how to provide a direct link but the nr is 3945096441 I think it deserves one of these :D

It's not the first, nor will it be the last, time a coin is offered at a ridiculously low price with enough postage to send it to the moon! What a scam. :angry:

And probably a fake as well.

Linkypoo

I don't know how much those are worth so I couldn't comment!

I know I'm butting in, but you chaps take some effort to keep up with - Phew !! - I envy your energetic

enthusiasm. What a long Topic ... It will always be with us ... I would like to add my humble opinion (not

about the individual lot numbers)

For approx. 20 years I have been collecting a finely produced subject (irrelevant to this site), sold under a

family name. I have been a Society member for that product for several years and learnt as much as I could

about the production and trained my eyes to the finer details on each piece (as you do with coins). On e-Bay

this product is listed under it's own name - BUT - I get infurated by pages ... and pages ... of 'SIMILAR TO/

LOOKALIKE/SAME AS, completely different names - C R A P - Grrrrr......

I really do see your point regarding coins on e-Bay, but please take a step back (if only for a couple of minutes !!). Most of you are experts or very experienced in coins, but don't forget e-Bay is for the general

public. Although you genuine chaps don't want to see other people 'ripped off' or 'done' yourselves, a lot of

the general public ARE gullible. Even I (a complete beginner on coins) can see through a lot of the items

listed. Certainly if I see L@@K or R@RE, I don't give it another glance, but advertising in general DOES 'draw'

some buyers - it is THEY who have to learn not to be 'taken in'. I agree some sort of classification should be

introduced on e-Bay, but in such a complex field, I'll leave that to the experts to figure out how ??

My point here (yes, I know you are waiting for it !!) is that the problem does exist on e-Bay in every

collectable subject. No matter what changes you 'good guys' could possibly make on e-Bay regarding coins,

there will always be a gullible buyer and, rest assured, always a seller who doesn't give a ---- !!

I am learning from you chaps, but very slowly !!

Another point to this advert. It says "Made out of silver and hand made..." By the seller perhaps??? :angry:

I am learning from you chaps, but very slowly !!

You'll get there eventually thumb.gif

Honestly, what's it going to be - Queen Jacqueline?

Queen Joanna?

But my friends call me Jo.

Hi

Just been cruising Ebay and I may just have found a 1d bargain on the Australian site for any of you Penny collectors.

Its an 1827 1d (the majority of this mintage exported to our early open prison (called Australia)

Its buy it now for AU $150 which is going to cost just under £70 inc P & P.

The scan is a bit dodgy but the coin doesn't look too bad...Don't blame me. :o

I'm sorely tempted but will stick to my 1/4ds and 18 century 1/2ds....(Pennies Pre 1895 seem too difficult)

Oh...the Nr IS 3948074929 & bidding finishes (UK time) early Wednesday (it is currently at AU $90)

Looks like an 1826 to me, I copied the picture and made it brighter. I could be wrong.

I Dont believe it!

By the same guy as previous jokes? <_<

Look at the postage....a scam

"Queen on back etc..." "Silver in colour"...sounds worrying to me :wacko:

Once more...?

May as well add this! :D

:huh:

Amazing...absolutely amazing..."clean and bright" ;)