British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Guest derick

Some really ridiculous eBay listings

Clueless, I mean why bother to state a grade, when you obviously have no idea how to grade coins.

It looks like this guy dug that cartwheel penny up in the garden or something, because it says at the top of the page "nice find"! :blink:

Look at this coin! Definitely not UNC on the obverse.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...8&category=3406

Well yes, it could imply that. But it is common ebay speak for 'a bargain' to imply the coin is a nice find...As if it was lost of missing from your life until you looked at that listing.

You know, I'm thinking more and more about implementing a coin auction site, but perhaps at first just for my coins ;)

You know, I'm thinking more and more about implementing a coin auction site, but perhaps at first just for my coins

Would many people list on it? IMHO I'm sure they would prefer to list on a site that admittedly gets more hits (Ebay).

Well that's just it isn't it. I do get 30,000+ uniques a month, but that's nothing like ebay.

Although you have to start somewhere, and perhaps a coin auction site that guaranteed accurate descriptions and no crap would prove popular.

Wow 30,000 a month! I didn't think it was anywhere near that figure! And theres only about 10 regulars on the forums :blink:

At least there would be proper grading on Chris's auction site! Look at this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...6&category=3397

:o:o

At least there would be proper grading on Chris's auction site! Look at this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...6&category=3397

Hahaha people have actually bid for it! They should come on predecimal and see the coin grading page. I looked at it last night and its very informative.

Oooh look at the mistakes on this!

Fool on Ebay

Title says VF but in descrition it says EF?!

The picture is that of a silver proof not the one being sold

But wait, you get a free 50p so that makes it all worthwhile :P

Title says VF but in descrition it says EF?!

To be fair, it's easy to describe something as "extremely fine" when we don't actually mean EF - the words roll off the tongue as a general description. The danger is putting them in print where they'll be interpreted in the strict numismatic sense.

I've seen far worse things on eBay!

G

I've seen far worse things on eBay!

Haven't we all!? :lol:

I have seen many dodgy things on ebay in the past, and that ones actually quite good considering! ;)

This Cartwheel penny looks odd to me - could it be a restrike? Bear in mind that this man (Sharpclaw) sold four "uncirculated" Farthings to me but when I received them they were decidedly VF+

Odd toning in the fields too...

That coin is definately dodgy. Look at it: The edge looks funny, on the reverse, and the tone is all wrong. Compare it to the one on this site! Here is the reverse: 07_1.JPG

And here is the obverse:

ac_1_b.JPG

Just look at the state of that dark patch on the reverse! Ewwww :o

i think £90 for it is a bit OTT...i got a quite nice one on ebay for £7 :) ...

B) Is that your VF+ one which we've heard so much about?

VF+ for £7??? Attach a scan, now! :P

B) Is that your VF+ one which we've heard so much about?

no...i have 3 cartwheel pennies...

the one i got for £7 was this:

89_1_b.JPG

...it looks better in real life though...

i think £90 for it is a bit OTT...i got a quite nice one on ebay for £7 :) ...

oops...i did not notice that you said twopence...i have no cartwheel twopences :( ...i will get one soon :)