British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Guest derick

Some really ridiculous eBay listings

This seller really annoys me.

He sells fairly rotten stuff all of which is described as either magnificent or extremely rare - which of course it isn't.

And don't get me started on his abysmal punctuation.

Up to now he's only been charging pennies so it hasn't seemed so bad, but now he's gone right over the top :-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie..._PcY_BIN_Stores

I warned people about this guy months ago.....No real knowledge of coins and a complete Tw....t.

For months he has been buying replica 1551 crowns for 99p and selling them on for 9.99.

Caveat emptor.

Ebay to me has been a great experience and bargains can still be had.....Don't forget your dealers and coin fairs though.

I still search the listings but more of my purchases are coming from regular dealers.....who don't have web sites <_<

I've a feeling Chris has his favourites?

I've got a super-duper mega UNC love token at a bargain price of only £249.99 if anybody is interested. A must for the discening collector.

post-19-1121384564_thumb.jpg

Sorry, I should have said discerning collector.

Guest Guest

Its better than a 63 1/2d...ooops the Misses is calling me to bed......can't see a 5 x performance tonight....regular 3x as it a bit hot.

:P:P:P ....actually I'm gonna wait until she's asleep :ph34r:

That was me :rolleyes:

Another aspect of e-bay to beware of - having paid for the coin you have won, you wait for a week or so for delivery - in vain - to be reminded "Post is at buyers risk" and "I sent it on .....". But who knows if it existed in the first place, and the picture of the coin you bid on has come from a book or a previous seller's post???

This seller really annoys me.

He sells fairly rotten stuff all of which is described as either magnificent or extremely rare - which of course it isn't.

And don't get me started on his abysmal punctuation.

Up to now he's only been charging pennies so it hasn't seemed so bad, but now he's gone right over the top :-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie..._PcY_BIN_Stores

The completely OTT prices aren't a problem. The problem is the dodgy photos, the slightly fuzzy ones which appear to show the features of the rarity you're looking for, but in reality are just the bog standard version. People seeing what they want to see is the problem when paying over the odds. On this piece, one must presume the elevated price is just a reflection of the additional work he has put in to make sure you can see the whole coin and on both sides. Usually, he only gives you a picture of 60% of the coin, and fuzzy at that, so I automatically ignore his listings.

Another aspect of e-bay to beware of - having paid for the coin you have won, you wait for a week or so for delivery - in vain - to be reminded "Post is at buyers risk" and "I sent it on .....". But who knows if it existed in the first place, and the picture of the coin you bid on has come from a book or a previous seller's post???

On the whole, most people in this world are honest - even on ebay. With only 2 exceptions, when a coin has not been as described or the picture misleading, I have always had a full refund when requested whether the seller offered it or not in his listing.

I have only had the one bad experience, when a seller claimed they did not get the money, even when it was a cheque that was duly cashed! I am awaiting delivery of a recalcitrant coin, but that may just be slow post (or slow seller)!

Another aspect of e-bay to beware of - having paid for the coin you have won, you wait for a week or so for delivery - in vain - to be reminded "Post is at buyers risk" and  "I sent it on .....". But who knows if it existed in the first place, and the picture of the coin you bid on has come from a book or a previous seller's post???

I always opt for Special Delivery then there are no excuses.

Ive bought 7 coins off ebay and havnt had a single problem.

This guy does annoy me though

http://search.ebay.co.uk/REICHSPFENNIG_Coi...QfsopZ1QQfsooZ1

His feedback my be 99% but there are about 16 I think who call them fake and not gold...which leade be to believe 99% of people dont even know what they are looking at.

Also every coin he calls 'RARE' yet he always is selling dozens at the same time.

If your serious about coins buy your books,make friends,find a couple of good dealers and learn your subject...Ebay can be a minefield as well as a goldmine.

There is not one single place in my whole town that deals in coins.

I have no idea where the nearest one is either.

I don't use ebay for coins too much junk.

Since i collect Anglo-Saxon pennies it'd be unwise to purchase them on ebay anyhow, as many replicas abound.

My other two areas of interest are Nazi Germany minor coins in UNC and EF+ Louis XVI coins of France. Coins of this nature do turn up on ebay regularly but never above VF, and they always sell way over real value, so there's no real point looking.

Find yourself about half a dozen decent professional internet dealers (Chris, Richard etc.) and stick with them, sure you might not get the same level of 'bargain' one off lucky buys that turn up rarely that you do on ebay, but similarly you'll not get fiddled, sold anything substandard or otherwise get landed with pure overinflated, overrated junk neither.

Quality is the key.

(Plus i get carried away when i get bidding so i never get a bargin as i always pay far too much, ebayitis, it's not about the coin it's about winning the auction!) :D

Buy them off Chris on here, i've bought a few coins off of him in the past and i've not been disappointed.

I would buy more except i don't collect coins from the same period that Chris sells anymore! :D So i can't!

Get yourself to a coinfair.. a lot of the stuff that appears on Ebay can be found in the dealers 5op,£1 or £2 tins.

The fairs are regularily in London/Birmingham,Wakefield and York.

Off course there are some great dealers on Ebay and some absolute crooks.

No one deals in coins within 30 miles of me but keep your eyes open at antique fairs etc.

As Sylvester says buy off here.

Get a few dealers lists....they all grade differently but I take that into consideration when purchasing..

& Syl leave those pre revolution Frenchies alone.

& Syl leave those pre revolution Frenchies alone.

Why do you collect them? :D

I already have a dixieme d'Ecu 1783-A that i bought at the York Coin fair... i overpaid on it a bit, but i like it. I also have a 1777-H liard, but copper is generally not my thing.

I do want a heck of alot more French stuff though.

Buy them off Chris on here, i've bought a few coins off of him in the past and i've not been disappointed.

I would buy more except i don't collect coins from the same period that Chris sells anymore! :D So i can't!

What period does chris sell them?

You see, I bought a coin off www.WestminsterCollection.com and they sent me it in a display case with 11 empty spaces...the craft gits.

So i'm curretly filling that, Im buying only 1oz Silver coins at the moment, have 8 spaces left.

I had a look on Yell.com for coin shops in lincolnshire, there are a few around.

Me on ebay I always check the sellers feedback...If there is even 1 negative out of 1000 I probably wouldnt buy off him.

Chris sells proper coins, but that i mean coins that were made for circulation rather than coins made especially for collectors a la Westminster.

Chris' stock generally tends to be British coins from the 1800-1967 period, basically what is considered to be modern predecimal coinage.

Although he does occasionally sell coins from the 1663-1799 period which is Early Milled.

Unfortunately i collect hammered coins which is not Chris' area of interest.

I have complained before about the numismatic desert in Cumbria. Sure! if the likes of Chris sold Hammered, then I'd at least look at them. However I find a lot of dealers, away from fairs, charge too much, so I must take my chances on the net. So I may get stung on the odd rare, occasion (I do know a little about the subject!) but it is worth the risk to get the odd 'bargain'. I especially look out for the mis-attributed coin, something that occurs quite often.

If I get the chance, you'll see me at fairs, but adding the cost of fuel today, means I really would have to find bargains!! <_<

I have complained before about the numismatic desert in Cumbria. Sure! if the likes of Chris sold Hammered, then I'd at least look at them. However I find a lot of dealers, away from fairs, charge too much, so I must take my chances on the net. So I may get stung on the odd rare, occasion (I do know a little about the subject!) but it is worth the risk to get the odd 'bargain'. I especially look out for the mis-attributed coin, something that occurs quite often.

If I get the chance, you'll see me at fairs, but adding the cost of fuel today, means I really would have to find bargains!! <_<

Ah i lack the patience to search and wait. I just want it 'now'... which means i'll happily pay book price or over if the coin looks nice enough.

There's one French coin i really, really want at this present moment in time, alas it's £85 over book price. I haven't seen another as nice as it anywhere... so i'm in debating limbo at the moment. I know i shouldn't buy it, but can i be bothered to wait another year or two for another one to show up? That and in a year or two i might not have the cash for one... it's frustrating. Very.

This is monumentally suspicious

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...8319375842&rd=1

There are three pictures none of which seem to be for the same coin

And he shows a picture of one of the rarest pennies, 1863 with die numbers.

Thought id have a look and see if he had bad feedback from the winner of the bid....Guess What??

Coin delivered WAS NOT coin pictured. BEWARE!!

Buyer neutron56 ( 157) 04-Aug-05 08:35 8319375842

Reply by maxbax0: beware he bids then complains about the items 04-Aug-05 14:03

Lokks like it wasn't his day!!

Jim