British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Crezzy

eBay seems fishy.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391542793682

Hello. I am looking at getting into medieval coins and was perusing eBay. As I am a total beginner for this era of coinage I was wondering if this person's eBay listing are legitimate as they seem like quite nice coins for not too much money. 

Any help and advice would be appreciated :)

The words 'eBay', 'total beginner', 'medieval coins', and 'nice coins for not too much money' are sufficient for me to recommend some research before diving in ... 

Not my collecting focus but I would be very surprised if this is a genuine item!

Having said that I have no idea what it is! :)

Hi !! well first of all ... auction is not still ended , so everything can happen !

after this thing ... well consider that medieval doesn't mean expensive , there are a lot of coins struck long time ago that can be bought for a couple of £ ....this is a very common coin struck in Poland or Hungary , if I am not wrong , and so there are also few collectors interested in. 

Matteo makes a good point, as ever supply and demand determines the price. You can pick up genuine Roman coins for very little, there are so very, very many around!

And as it's an auction, the current bid is not a good indication of the final price.

Anyone know what it is?

1 minute ago, Paulus said:

Matteo makes a good point, as ever supply and demand determines the price. You can pick up genuine Roman coins for very little, there are so very, very many around!

And as it's an auction, the current bid is not a good indication of the final price.

Anyone know what it is?

look at the link I put in my second message Paulus ;) 

1 minute ago, Matteo95 said:

look at the link I put in my second message Paulus ;) 

Hadn't spotted that, you ID'd it already :) I'm hopeless with non-English!

So quite possibly it's ok then ...

As mentioned before these coins can be picked up for a pittance.Before you jump in too deeply pick up a couple for a little outlay and research and learn. Nothing wrong with picking up a bit of history and learning.  Hand on my heart they will never be cheaper.

I bought a couple about 15 or more years ago. They were very cheap - about £1-2 - on an auction site that was a rival to eBay, but which ultimately folded. Can't now remember the name of the auction website. I also got a small silver coin with the character with the Hapsburg lip on the obverse - the lip was very prominent on the coin, but again was only a couple of £s. 

I've been offered these several times by the 10's of kilos. It seems hoards are regular finds in the countries of origin although all I have seen pictures of have been in poor condition so as well as being not medieval or British and of very low value I'd say they've all been seriously cleaned.

Luv Dave

Just beware of the multitude of Commercial 'reproductions' that are supposed to emboss some sort of identification that it is, in fact, a reproduction. Unfortunately some crooks are finding ways to erase this mark. So if it is a bit pricy, especially, scrutinise it carefully. A good magnifier is a must. Study the subject before spending much.