British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Just been looking through the catalogue of the upcoming coin auction and noticed that none of the silver coins are described as dipped.  Is this because they were not dipped or is this an accepted practice that is not worthy of comment and doesn't detract from the value? If I were buying a coin described as having full lustre, I would like to know whether or not this was achieved by dipping. What are your thoughts?

ask the expert MP

• Like 1

I thought a DIPPED coin would not have Full Lustre, as the lustre would be removed during the dipping

Just my thoughts...

Looking on Ebay at Victorian silver, it seems that most are dipped

Lustre I'm sure is just the reflective properties of the surface, what you're removing is patina.

I'm no silver expert but dipping silver I don't think is a massive faux pas, you are removing the patina from the coin which is not part of the original make-up, therefore preserving the coin instead of removing actual layers of the metal itself.

30 minutes ago, Nordle11 said:

Lustre I'm sure is just the reflective properties of the surface, what you're removing is patina.

I'm no silver expert but dipping silver I don't think is a massive faux pas, you are removing the patina from the coin which is not part of the original make-up, therefore preserving the coin instead of removing actual layers of the metal itself.

Dipping silver you are in essence trying to remove tarnish, i posted a before and after just recently of a Geo V half crown that was tarnished, now if it was toned, then i'd have left it alone. Geo V 1911 proof sets are a good example of toning, generally 95% of those silver sets come with a heavy blueish toning which i think most of us believe is due to the velvet the coins sit in, in the box....

I don't believe that coins of 100 years or more are blast white because they stayed like that, IMO they've had a helping hand sometime or other....

Check this thread for my before and after coin

Edited by azda

I would never dip the whole coin.I've only used it to clear isolated stains.

Just now, Peter said:

I would never dip the whole coin.I've only used it to clear isolated stains.

Peter , would only dipping part of the coin make the coin look strange ?

Not if you apply the dip with a cotton bud and the area is very small. I wouldn't buy a coin if the staining was considerable. Another forum member did it to a 1937 crown and has promised me a pint when we meet.

Quite. Not for the faint of heart, but I had a matte silver piece with a very unfortunate oxidation spot on the bust and was able to remove it with NO obvious stigma and preserving the otherwise lovely patina. I admit to being a bit scared.

I am with Dave in that you simply will not see a 100 year old coin with blast white surfaces. Patina is removed by dipping but with enough (i.e. too much) dip one  can begin to lose lustre as well.

OK getting a bit away from dipping what about general cleaning, I don't mean an attack with the wire brush and vim but look at this half crown, there is obvious crude/rust/stuff  

around the lettering (look at the H in half) would you try and clean it off. OK it's not much of a coin and some might say best for the bin, but needs must etc.

Half Crown 1899 R.jpg

I would disagree with "best for the bin"

The coin has been around since 1899 and had a life. Leave it alone.

Nice photos btw.

Edited by IanB
  • Like 1

Definitely not for the bin, I don't think you will find anyone on here saying that (except in jest) :)

Very gentle soap and water, tamping down, pure acetone with a cotton bud possibly, but the key words are 'little' and 'gentle', if at all!

• Like 1

Try a dip with a cotton bud and decide for yourself....on a lesser coin. With your's treatment with acetone should be your 1st port of call.

• Like 1

Try household ammonia diluted by 50% with water and use cotton bud with post liberal rinse with water...

or leave it as it is

I agree that it is probably best to leave it alone. It looks rather nice for its grade and the "stuff" is not distracting and has blended in rather well.

If you decide to clean it, then it is the right sort of coin to experiment on and gain some experience. You don't want to attempt your first cleaning on a UNC valuable coin. (Personally, I have not attempted any cleaning myself)

12 hours ago, Sleepy said:

OK getting a bit away from dipping what about general cleaning, I don't mean an attack with the wire brush and vim but look at this half crown, there is obvious crude/rust/stuff  

around the lettering (look at the H in half) would you try and clean it off. OK it's not much of a coin and some might say best for the bin, but needs must etc.

Half Crown 1899 R.jpg

I'd also leave it alone, sometimes coins are the way they are because of honest wear/usage, it's part of their history and charm, what you do to it cannot be undone and may then lose it's appeal to you and to anyone else (if you ever want to sell it)

• Like 1

I'd say it's up to you, Sleepy.  After all, you're the current custodian of this coin.  If you think it might have more appeal to you without some of the gunk on it, by all means experiment.  I'd probably give it a couple of weeks in Olive Oil followed by a good wash with de-ionised water and then a careful pat dry with a clean white cotton cloth.  That should remove some of the gunk but not too much.  After that, see what you think, and perhaps go down the acetone or ammonia routes as suggested by others above.

TRY ACETONE just a quick wipe  then polish it off with a paper towel .

That coin may never be a superstar but its better than many that are around and someone will want it

Edited by copper123

Is nail polish remover acceptable for acetone, if not where do you get it from?

Your local chemist should have some and it's pretty cheap, about £1 for 50 ml. Don't use  nail polish remover!

Acetone is easy to buy on ebay , I always get a 500 ml bottle it costs around £5 with post so is cheaper than the chemist .

I personally would not use nail varnish remover , i think it has an adative in it  , besides acetone

Edited by copper123

There are loads of 100% Pure acetone on the market, used for nail care, etc.... Home Bargains, Poundland and a number of other cheap outlet shops have them. I buy 300 ml bottle for £1 or if Poundland don't have it in then my local Home Bargains shop has it for 89p for 150ml. Just make sure it states "Pure Acetone" or 100% Acetone. Also its best to purchase good quality cotton buds as the cheaper varieties can be harsh. Pointless going to all the trouble to remove dirt and grime if you scratch the coin!!!!!!! Slowly and Gentle is the name of the game when using acetone.

Thanks guys think it's out shopping for some olive oil and acetone tomorrow, I shall post the results for your appraisal and comment/laugh/cry in a few weeks.

• Like 1

As promised a picture of my rather cruddy 1899 half crown after 4 weeks soaking in olive oil and then a gentle dab with cotton buds and acetone. IMO it hasn't done the coin any harm and has got rid of a lot of the dirt that had built up around the inscription, compare it with the original posted earlier, especially noticeable around the H. I found that the treatment loosed up the really heavy dirt and a gentle prod with a tooth pick and it came away, I could have gone further but didn't want to chance it. 

Half Crown 1899 R AC.jpg

• Like 1