British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Davehiscock33

1922 coin ???

35 minutes ago, Nordle11 said:

One of the nicest coins in my collection I bought from a chap in France who says that, at the time (in 1909) his grandad went to the bank and changed up for various denominations, then wrapped a few mint examples in silk(?) pouches and tucked them away. The penny I bought from him was one of those hidden away since that day, and it's a true stunner.

I guess even coins in collections are prone being moved around, touched, breathed on etc..

If it is the guy I am thinking of I have a few nice ones off him as well :)

Just now, Nonmortuus said:

If it is the guy I am thinking of I have a few nice ones off him as well :)

From France? :) 

22 minutes ago, Rob said:

Nice coin, but I think there might have been a little, shall we say, "journalistic licence" for want of a better phrase, exercised in the writing of that article, simply to embroider the story. Bit like the gold piece supposedly given to the kid to play with, which we talked about a few days ago.    

3 minutes ago, Nonmortuus said:

Yes :)

Yep, one and the same. Good guy too, he accidentally sent my coin to someone else (who had also bought something) but went out his way to make sure he got it back and then offered it back to me after refunding for the initial mix up. Was very glad he did too :) 

12 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Nice coin, but I think there might have been a little, shall we say, "journalistic licence" for want of a better phrase, exercised in the writing of that article, simply to embroider the story. Bit like the gold piece supposedly given to the kid to play with, which we talked about a few days ago.    

Possibly, we'll never know, but the paper is right and the coin is mint state, so if not genuine, then someone has gone to the trouble of wrecking a newspaper from 1705 just to wrap it in.

Christmas present?