British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Davehiscock33

1922 coin ???

Hi all. 

I have been renovating my home and found this coin placed on top of a floor joist and behind a brick right where the joist bears onto the internal wall. Any ideas what it is ? 

Many thanks 

Dave Hiscock 

p.s how do I post a pic of the coin? I can't get the file size under .50mb !!!! 

Hi Dave and welcome. Can you upload it to a site such as Photobucket and post a link?

Hi Dave, nothing of value there it's rather corroded. As to the placement I'm not too sure, perhaps there was a tradition of placing a penny inside the house for good luck?

1 minute ago, Davehiscock33 said:

Has the link worked ? 

Thanks all 

Yes worked ok, although we can see all pictures there like the planes etc. If you can't remove the link and don't want it to remain there just mention, there's a possibility that you can't edit your post now.

What a shame. 

I was looking online about the 1922 coin and the slight differences but can't for the life of me work it out. The boarder looks different on the heads side to the tails, like you say the corrosion is bad. 

There is a very rare type of this year but unfortunately this is not that type, it's just the bog standard variety. An intriguing find though.

Yeah it was amazing to find it there! Made my day, think it will be my lucky coin from now on.

could you tell me the differences in the bog standard to the rare coin ? Apart from the cost!!!! 

Thank you for you help 

There's a couple of differences although on this variety it is a little difficult to differentiate, in the rarer variety the border teeth and rim are slightly longer, Britannia is a little bit smaller, the upright serif in P should point towards a gap between 2 teeth. The most significant telltale IMO is the 1 in the date should be directly over a border tooth, whereas on the normal variety it sits between 2 teeth.

1 hour ago, Nordle11 said:

There's a couple of differences although on this variety it is a little difficult to differentiate, in the rarer variety the border teeth and rim are slightly longer, Britannia is a little bit smaller, the upright serif in P should point towards a gap between 2 teeth. The most significant telltale IMO is the 1 in the date should be directly over a border tooth, whereas on the normal variety it sits between 2 teeth.

Are these indicators for a 1922 Matt ,i just look at the trident first ?.

1 minute ago, PWA 1967 said:

Yeah, amongst other things. I actually find the trident the hardest indicator, the easiest is definitely the placement of the 1 over the tooth, and second the obvious thicker border rim (IMO).

17 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

I just look at the date. :ph34r:

On 29/08/2016 at 10:29 PM, Davehiscock33 said:

Hi all. 

I have been renovating my home and found this coin placed on top of a floor joist and behind a brick right where the joist bears onto the internal wall. Any ideas what it is ? 

Many thanks 

Dave Hiscock 

p.s how do I post a pic of the coin? I can't get the file size under .50mb !!!! 

Yes - there is a strong tradition of embedding coins in building and renovation work in the UK. Around Door jambs and under window sills are fairly normal. Thatchers often hide a coin in the deepest level of thatch near the chimney.

I recently had a lovely 1776 (sic) halfpenny evasion from under a window sill in Poole. Picture attached

1776 halfpenny.jpg

Was it you creeping about under my window then Paddy?

Amazing what does turn up from time to time. I imagine that is how some of the most well preserved coins are found. Not in a collection, but having been left in the same place for maybe well over 100 years, having been originally lost or forgotten by the original owner. Especially if they were left somewhere conducive to good preservation.

3 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Amazing what does turn up from time to time. I imagine that is how some of the most well preserved coins are found. Not in a collection, but having been left in the same place for maybe well over 100 years, having been originally lost or forgotten by the original owner. Especially if they were left somewhere conducive to good preservation.

One of the nicest coins in my collection I bought from a chap in France who says that, at the time (in 1909) his grandad went to the bank and changed up for various denominations, then wrapped a few mint examples in silk(?) pouches and tucked them away. The penny I bought from him was one of those hidden away since that day, and it's a true stunner.

I guess even coins in collections are prone being moved around, touched, breathed on etc..

9 minutes ago, Nordle11 said:

One of the nicest coins in my collection I bought from a chap in France who says that, at the time (in 1909) his grandad went to the bank and changed up for various denominations, then wrapped a few mint examples in silk(?) pouches and tucked them away. The penny I bought from him was one of those hidden away since that day, and it's a true stunner.

I guess even coins in collections are prone being moved around, touched, breathed on etc..

Also, they are prone to the inevitable "cabinet friction".

I must admit, it would be nice to stumble across a pre decimal coin (of any denomination) that had lain undisturbed in the same spot for a very, very long time. The older the better.

Although knowing my luck it would be a 1967 penny ^_^ 

2 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

I must admit, it would be nice to stumble across a pre decimal coin (of any denomination) that had lain undisturbed in the same spot for a very, very long time. The older the better.

You mean like this one? http://www.petitioncrown.com/Queen_Anne_1705_Crown.html

Just now, 1949threepence said:

Also, they are prone to the inevitable "cabinet friction".

:lol:

Probably

Just now, Rob said:

That's what it was found wrapped in

No sh**, Sherlock.

:P 

• Like 1