British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Leo

Photographing coins in holders

You guessed it. I have followed BRG's excellent guidance and purchased two small LED spotlights, fitted them with some DIY paper diffuser, and arranged the setup but then I realised that all of my coins are in Leuchtturm holders and the mylar plastic gets in the way - not to mention annoying micro-creases in the plastic that I was not that aware of. The result is quite dull I have to say.

Any ideas, apart from the obvious one of ripping the holder away?

1900d.jpg

edwsh.jpg

1922sh.jpg

I would rip them out sorry and use Quadrums as you can open and close them whenever needed to take pictures etc

• Like 1

A polarising filter might help reduce the reflections!

You'll get them out one day, I'll bet on it ;) Quadrums I do like, but find it hard getting the coin out easily without touching either face, because the edges are held in the foam. Although they do hold a coin nicely. I prefer lighthouse capsules, mainly because of the trays I've got though.

1 hour ago, Nordle11 said:

You'll get them out one day, I'll bet on it ;) Quadrums I do like, but find it hard getting the coin out easily without touching either face, because the edges are held in the foam. Although they do hold a coin nicely. I prefer lighthouse capsules, mainly because of the trays I've got though.

Easiest way Nordle is to left the corner of the foam with something so you can lift it out and then flex the foam to pop the coin out :)

That's my problem because they pop out and straight onto the floor :D 

Well, the polarising filter did not improve things, but sounded like a good idea, cheers Sleepy. It just darkened the picture and did not get rid of the reflections unfortunately.

Ripping the coin out of the holder is obviously the way to go - result below. The subject is nothing to write home about in terms of grade, but I chose it because it has a nice tone.

So the decision is Quadro album, or encapsulated or even naked coins in trays, I guess? I think Quadro makes sense for valuable coins but not for cheap stuff. Including the Quadro itself, the Encap sheet and the album it works out at about £1 per coin on the basis of a 60-coin collection. Things to think about this weekend...

DSC06131.jpg

Quadrums are the way IMO

Have a look on eBay at a seller called Andy Jack, sorry cannot send the URL I am on an Ipad at the moment and it will not let me cut and paste?

He has a selection of Quadrum storage solutions that may suit your needs.

P.s. Nice photo

Edited by IanB

16 hours ago, Nonmortuus said:

The aluminium cases for quadrums are a nice size. 

Thats what I use for all my silver coins. Here is a link to Andy Jack where I buy all my quadrums from also the aluminium cases 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141039214434?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&var=440161639080&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/S6-Cargo-Coin-Case-With-6-12-x-50-mm-Blue-Felt-Quadrum-Coin-Trays-/142016467972?hash=item2110d75404:g:14wAAOSw6n5Xvriz

hope this helps.

• Like 1

Well, quadro it is then... Thanks for the tips.

One question - how do you choose the size? E.g. a florin is 28.5mm but quadros come in 28 and 29mm. Better to be tight or to be loose?

28 minutes ago, Leo said:

Well, quadro it is then... Thanks for the tips.

One question - how do you choose the size? E.g. a florin is 28.5mm but quadros come in 28 and 29mm. Better to be tight or to be loose?

Well I have been there i bought the 28mm and found that the coin was a bit tight and pushed out the foam causing it to not fit correctly in the holder which made it hard to close the shell. But I am sure there are others that will comment.

If this helps its a list I made for sizes of each coin.

Farthing 21mm - Halfpenny 27mm - Penny 31mm - Silver 3d 17mm - Brass 3d 22mm - Sixpence 20mm - Shilling 24mm - Florin 29mm - Halfcrown 33mm -  Crown 39mm

Hope that helps.

Mick

Remember that florins have changed size through the years, ranging from 28mm to 30mm.

17 minutes ago, Nick said:

Remember that florins have changed size through the years, ranging from 28mm to 30mm.

Yes 28mm I think pre 1887. The Jubilee Florin is bigger at 29.5mm and then the rest are 28.5mm , correct me if I am wrong. 

1 hour ago, UPINSMOKE said:

Yes 28mm I think pre 1887. The Jubilee Florin is bigger at 29.5mm and then the rest are 28.5mm , correct me if I am wrong. 

Almost.  The "godless" is 28mm and the "gothic" is 30mm.

If you Google select correct  size quadrum it will bring up a page on ebay made by Andy jack listing the correct size per denomination.

Edited by Nonmortuus

I have just housed my collection of Geo V & VI Florins and used the the 28 mm Quadrum. They fit nicely and holds the coins well. I think for these the 29mm would be a little big. I would rather have the coins held than them be too loose and move around.

Thank you all for your input.

Basically one size for each denomination, if not several sizes as in the case of the florin. I'll work it out...

I do take it that it has to fit perfectly, not like with the holders where you just leave a couple of mm gap

9 minutes ago, Leo said:

Thank you all for your input.

Basically one size for each denomination, if not several sizes as in the case of the florin. I'll work it out...

I do take it that it has to fit perfectly, not like with the holders where you just leave a couple of mm gap

Yes you want a tight fit, or as close as you can get otherwise you will end up with movement. And if you use the aluminium cases as I do and store them on their sides you definitely don't want movement.