British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

The Coinery

1920 Florin wanted.

If you have a 1920 Florin for sale please let me know

There are 4 variations and I am after all 4 

If you go onto Michael coins site it may explain the reasons as  why its hard to find a nice one.

Is this of any interest? They seem impossible to get in a decent strike/grade combination!

1920_fl_01_04_2400.jpg

Hi Paulus

As 1920 Florins go this is a good example. What value do you put upon it ?

This variant is Davies 1744 and is the most common, if you can say common as they are so hard to find of the 1920 florins. It can be defined by the I of Georgivs pointing to a space between teeth and the 0 in the date over a bead. There are 6 graded by CGS. I haven't seen any anywhere else

The second variant Davies 1745 is the alleged medium hardest to find is where the 0 in the date is over a space between beads. There is 1 graded by CGS. I haven't seen any anywhere else

The third and "Holy Grail" variant Davies 1746 is where the I of Georgivs pointing to left of a tooth. None graded by CGS but one rejected and if you know where one is I will buy it.

I remember talking to a very well known dealer over 30 years ago and he smiled at me in a Fatherly way when I told him I was going to collect a perfect set of Florins and he put his hand on my shoulder and said "I admire your optimism Guy and good luck because you are going to need it", he laughed and is still laughing, in a friendly way now at my obsession with Florins.

Within 50 years money and notes will no longer exist and I am wondering why I don't start collecting current currency . . . . Its just not that interesting to me but at least I would not spend countless hours making my back ache bending over coin fair tables.

I have a Davies 1746 (sorry not for sale), but didn't realise they are that difficult to acquire.  LCA have sold a few over the years.

D1746_zpsgl9oomst.jpg

Edited by Nick

Here's the other variety Davies 1744 (I think).

D1744_zpsc7ocn7tq.jpg

1 hour ago, The Coinery said:

I remember talking to a very well known dealer over 30 years ago and he smiled at me in a Fatherly way when I told him I was going to collect a perfect set of Florins

What is a perfect set of Florins?

On 2 September 2016 at 10:06 PM, azda said:

What is a perfect set of Florins?

Hi Azda

In my opinion a perfect set of Florins would be a specimen of every florin variation that was minted at UNC grade.

An impossible task I grant you but at least I always have some thing to do while the Wife is watching soaps.

So far I have 106 which leaves me about 90 more to find.

I noticed you are in the Numismatic Research Group and I would appreciate your opinion upon actually how many Florins types / variations there are ?

I have attached a couple of photos for your opinion

The 1862 (ESC 820) is only grade 40 which is a VF / AU50. Interestingly this is the only one so far graded by CGS or LCGS.

img.php.jpeg

img-1.php.jpeg

img-2.php.jpeg

img-3.php.jpeg

img-4.php.jpeg

img-5.php.jpeg

Numismatic research group is a term used on the forum when you reach a certain amount of posts, as is "nearly part of the furniture" and so on. I noticed that NGC have graded an 1862 in MS65 grade, so they are out there, but it takes time...

Here's one if mine to go alongside yours ?

image.jpeg

Edited by azda

6 minutes ago, azda said:

Numismatic research group is a term used on the forum when you reach a certain amount of posts, as is "nearly part of the furniture" and so on. I noticed that NGC have graded an 1862 in MS65 grade, so they are out there, but it takes time...

Here's one if mine to go alongside yours ?

image.jpeg

That is a beautiful coin. I don't think the photo does it justice. If it is ever up for sale please give me first refusal. Can you add more photos of your Florin highlights. There is

another variant of this year which has just one "." after Britt in place of the Britt: