British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

UPINSMOKE

1746 FARTHING KING GEORGE II

I have a 1746 Farthing not the best condition, but have found that Obverse is upside down to the Reverse. I hope you understand when looking at the Reverse with the date at the bottom and you turn it over like turning a page in a book the head on the Obverse is upside down. My question is this normal or have I found something unusual. I only ask as I do not have anything else of that age to compare it with. Any help appreciated please.

Check that isn't a V over U in George(ius) that is a rare one.

34 minutes ago, Peter said:

Check that isn't a V over U in George(ius) that is a rare one.

Thanks for that I think its V over U her is the pictures would like opinion over grade please and perhaps what it may be worth if that ok.

1746 Farthing Head.jpg

Farthing 1746 tail.jpg

That is a common 1746 1/4d ...keep looking.

7 minutes ago, Peter said:

That is a common 1746 1/4d ...keep looking.

Oh well thanks for the heads up how do you tell the difference?

Try google there are a few good examples.

grades as near fine - maybe slightly better - the sort of coin usually found in a £4 rumage box .

25 minutes ago, copper123 said:

grades as near fine - maybe slightly better - the sort of coin usually found in a £4 rumage box .

Ok thanks for the help with the grade. 

It would make  £15 ...£20 on Ebay easily.

6 minutes ago, Peter said:

It would make  £15 ...£20 on Ebay easily.

Its funny you say that as I listed this for two weeks with a starting Buy it Now price at £14.95 with no takers so am keeping it for a while now.

As long as you list in the correct category it will sell. Quite frankly 130,000 pieces of modern decimal crap puts me off ebay the rest being cu/nic  in F. Gone are the days of decent coins...I do still look and occasionally bid but from a daily search it is now 2 weekly..

Oh come on £14.99  on a good day it might get a tenner (with a couple of suckers bidding), ok date is not as common as most but its certainly not rare