British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

UPINSMOKE

Has This Been Cleaned

Hi everyone need your advice please has this coin been cleaned I am not too sure looks very shiny to me for coin of that age. I did not pay a vast amount for it but will fill a space in my Farthing collection that coming on well. The reason I ask is that the seller has more of these and would like to go for them it this ones all right. 

Will leave it up to the professionals but not Bodey and Doyle.

IMGP2861.JPGIMGP2862.JPG

Farthings of Ed.VII were mint toned before release. i.e nearly black. Anything that colour will have been cleaned.

2 minutes ago, Rob said:

Farthings of Ed.VII were mint toned before release. i.e nearly black. Anything that colour will have been cleaned.

Thanks Rob I thought that, but then again I also thought 1 or 2 may have slipped though the process and I had found a scarce coin:o:D

Sorry about the pictures not good but the colour is about right its quite bright sheen here is a couple more pics, still cannot get the pics as the coins will have to do better.

IMGP2864.JPG

IMGP2865.JPG

I was watching this and the sellers others also but I ended up keeping away as I thought they had probably been cleaned.

Could someone with more knowledge explain to me how they could remove the dark toning while leaving the fields unmarked etc?

Probably any metal dip will suffice as it is a chemical reaction in the first place.

Just to open up the whole cleaning debate again. 

Is dipping okay, it seems to be okay to give silver a light dip? What about bronze?

I know in this case it's removed the mint tone but in general is it acceptable?

Edited by IanB

54 minutes ago, IanB said:

Just to open up the whole cleaning debate again. 

Is dipping okay, it seems to be okay to give silver a light dip? What about bronze?

I know in this case it's removed the mint tone but in general is it acceptable?

Technically, cleaning/dipping is a NO NO. Silver dipping is a common occurrence but if left in the solution to long it can strip the lustre of the coin and make it look like a brick, very dull and flat, i assume it's effectively burnt the coin, doing it properly can enhance a coin dramatically though, longer than 10 seconds and you can kiss goodbye to whatever you paid........

Here's one i experimented on, the before and after

P8230679.jpg

P8290704.jpg

How long for that to start re - toning?

I have read on here about people leaving coins on window cills for a while.

i have to say I prefer my coins toned rather than lustre, it says to me that that coin has had a life rather than hidden away in a box.

However I have no objection to dipping, not cleaning though?

If it removes grime.

btw 

I like the Farthing Mick, even if they have lost their original tone.

Edited by IanB

On 23/08/2016 at 1:15 AM, UPINSMOKE said:

Thanks Rob I thought that, but then again I also thought 1 or 2 may have slipped though the process and I had found a scarce coin:o:D

Sorry about the pictures not good but the colour is about right its quite bright sheen here is a couple more pics, still cannot get the pics as the coins will have to do better.

IMGP2864.JPG

IMGP2865.JPG

In those pictures the surface looks like the surface of a lightly cleaned bronze coin - cleaning seems to give bronze a pickled appearance.