British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Nonmortuus

Raynox DCR-250 Macro Attachment

1 hour ago, Leo said:

Nobody here does that thing with a sheet of glass at 45 degrees and horizontal light?

I have used axial lighting, but it is pretty difficult to get enough light on the coin whilst blocking ambient light and reflections.  It worked ok with highly reflective proofs, but normal coins appeared dull and lifeless.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Leo said:

BRG - May I ask you what temperature LED do you use for those photos? I am looking at obtaining a couple of the IKEA lights that you have mentioned a few times, and to re-create the setup that you have also described, but I think these come only in 3000-3500K, am I right?

I use the little LED Jansjo lamps from IKEA. They are consistently between 3500 and 3600K. I reset my white balance manually with an 18% gray card before each photo session.  Knowing the exact temperature is not necessary if you are using a camera with custom white balance that can be set dynamically to your surroundings real time.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nonmortuus said:

@brg5658 when you say diffuse the light at the source, how far away are we talking? Should I be using some plain white paper pretty much up against the bulb or an inch or so away?

My first thought was I will just cut some white A4 printer paper down and tape it over the lamp (that last picture was taken using only 1 lamp, no other lighting was on in the room), bring them in a tad closer and increase the angle of from around 45 degree to 78/80 ish.

I would welcome your thoughts as your toned pictures are always stunning!

By "at the source" I mean as close to the light source as you can get without setting your home ablaze. ;)  Be careful if you are using halogens, they get VERY hot, and will melt certain types of plastic diffusers, and start a fire with paper and cloth ones. 

Bring your lights in to around 80 degrees angle from the table surface - this will bring out the luster and more color.  Using 2 lights will greatly improve the evenness of your lighting (fewer shadows).

I have already written up in detail in another post some other hints.  Please give those a read.

Best, Brandon

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Leo said:

Nobody here does that thing with a sheet of glass at 45 degrees and horizontal light?

The axial lighting method is a nightmare to control.  It is not so bad if you are primarily photographing raw coins, but it doesn't represent the coins as they look in hand, and completely wipes out the appearance of luster.  If you're trying to photograph coins behind plastic (slabs), then this method is almost impossible and not worth the fuss.

• Like 1

Thank you for all the useful info BRG. I'm driving to IKEA now to get myself a couple of Jansjos, and hopefully I can start with trials this weekend.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Leo said:

Thank you for all the useful info BRG. I'm driving to IKEA now to get myself a couple of Jansjos, and hopefully I can start with trials this weekend.

You will need to diffuse them a bit.  You can't use them "out of the box" as the point sources of the LED phosphors are too severe/small.  A simple white paper wrap, or tissue/cloth should do fine.  They don't get as hot as Halogens so starting a fire should be less likely -- but never leave unattended! :)

Good luck!

-Brandon

Here is tonight's attempt with the lights nearly directly over the coin and a bit of paper over the lamps (house didn't burn down!)

Diffused light over 1915 hc small.jpg

An improvement I think, you've created more of a perception of depth, but perhaps just lost those hints of lustre.  It'll be interesting to see the results with the new lamps.

2 hours ago, Nonmortuus said:

Here is my first attempt (top) compared with tonight's attempt.

download small(1).jpg

Nice improvement in photography. Which set of pictures looks more like the coin in hand? 

5 hours ago, Nonmortuus said:

Here is my first attempt (top) compared with tonight's attempt.

download small(1).jpg

The new images are far superior.  Look at the increase in the detail in the hair, beard, and the shield on the reverse.  The color and focus are also better in the 2nd set of images.  

Your images do show up on my screen as blue-shifted.  Are you setting a custom white balance using a bright white sheet of paper or an 18% gray card?  You're getting there!  B)

• Like 1

Excellent new images! Much more detail, the obverse is especially nicer in the new photos.

On 8/25/2016 at 4:21 AM, brg5658 said:

Your images do show up on my screen as blue-shifted.  Are you setting a custom white balance using a bright white sheet of paper or an 18% gray card?  You're getting there!  B)

Hi @brg5658, thanks for the feedback it really is helping. They will show up blue as I have not played with the white balance yet and the lamps are 6000k so more blue than the 5000k lamps I would like to use.

On 8/25/2016 at 1:30 AM, RLC35 said:

Nice improvement in photography. Which set of pictures looks more like the coin in hand? 

It really is hard to say because it depends on the light your looking at it in at the time. Both are getting close to a fair representation of the coin in hand.

• Like 1