British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest sue

coins with a hole in

Guest sue

you guys here are so helpful i just wanted to ask wether you would know if apart from chinese coins which have a hole in them. were there any british coins made with a square hole in? even if they were just kind of tokens or made in the times when there was not a lot of copper coinage, even forgeries of some sort!!. its just that i have come across two and they are identical with square holes in but i cant make out a single detail on either! i have not found them together by the way; they were in different places but they are the same size as a halfpenny and one looks like its copper the other looks like a tin with a bronze coating, they are the same thickness as a halfpenny too. just wanted to ask as i know you lot "are in the know" so to speak. cheers for reading and happy new year to you all!

They do sound like the Chinese type to me...they are about the size of a halfpenny...

Like this: Linky?

They could be what's left of tin halfpennies, with copper plugs, with the copper squarish plug fallen out.

They could be what's left of tin halfpennies, with copper plugs, with the copper squarish plug fallen out.

Hmm...hadn't thought of that...:)

Guest sue

i will attempt to post pics of them for you to see and maybe solve the mystery for me, in the meantime would any of you know where i could find out a bit more info on this coin as i have also got one of these coins too! is it an english coin do you think?where could i get more info on it?i really dont know where to look a friend emailed this sheet to me but it doesn,t really tell me anything concrete about the coins origin!Columbia.jpg

Guest sue

here is a pic of the two coins????? with the square holes or are they? please note that all my coins i find in the ground so they are not too pretty but i love and cherish them! i have put a half penny in to show the size and i value your thoughts, im am not sure on these two, but to find two is perplexing and i have found many george 2nd and third coins, they just may of been used as emergency coinage. like perhaps the token in my earlier thread. kindest regards suepluggedcoin.jpg

Chinese Cash Coins I said instinctively, but why would there be Chinese coins in the ground of the UK. I think Chris has got the right idea, but I don't know how big the plugs are compared to the rest of the coin